• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 new cases in less than 24 hrs in Oz.

Funny thing is the cruise ship with 3 staff confirmed with Swine Flu...Hey! I reckon it would be pretty awesome to be quarantined on a cruise ship until everyone came back with clear tests - heck - you could end up with a month long holiday - and NO CHOICE but to stay on board....so sad.

However it looks like passengers will actually have thier vacation cut short by 3 days.....wahhh...thats not the way it is supposed to work!

Dying off here now Mamabear, seems the panic is subsiding.

Onto the next thing to get hysterical about!

I'm with you MB imagined being quarantined on the cruise boat. Rather there than in the house.

On the boat you are waited on hand and foot.

Mmmmmm wonder if I could sneak on when it docks in Brisbane???? rolleyes

http://www.google.org/flutrends/

Anyone see this ^ the google flu trend site?

It is being hailed as a global predictor of flu spread before the tide of confirmed cases, based on the numbers of people googling FLU - assuming there is a correlation between the spread of flu, people having symptoms and therefore googling FLU.

I am not sure of the validity of that assumption and wonder how much the media hype has contributed to the google search activity....

Well how fast things change!!!

I now have a child in quarantine on Tamiflu doh

A few days ago there was a news report about a Yr7 (12yr old) boy at the neighbouring private school with a positive test. Our son says "I know him..." - that should have been my first clue.

We got a call from the Health Department this afternoon saying there was one positive test from a child in my son's class and we needed to come down and register our information and get a box of Tamiflu. By the time I got through the HUGE queue, picked up takeaway for dinner on the way home and checked my emails there are now TWO confirmed cases in my son's year group - both boys he has had extensive contact with. The entire year in in quarantine and taking Tamiflu - off school for a week.

LOL!!! lol

What on earth am I going to do with him cooped up in his room and NOT sick for a week! doh

ABC News story

Interesting about the Tamiflu suicides - are they suggesting that the effect of the Tamiflu is to blame for the suicide or just the rampant scare mongering of the Swine Flu beatup...? I know there are link between depression/suicide and roacutaine (the acne drug - spelling might be off..).

My boy is tolerating it well so far (one tablet 12 hours in).

Just got a 2nd phone call offering him Tamiflu because he was on another exposure list - double whammy! LOL!!

And he has already asked me to go to the store in a little bit and buy him a top up WOW gamecard. I think (for my sanity) that is a good idea.

Interesting. I got my drugs issued by the Doc who is leading the charge here at ground zero (sheer luck) - he has been interviewed on TV regarding the outbreak...anyhooo I point blank asked him about the side effects of Tamiflu, and the fact that it is an anitviral is there any point in kids who are not sick taking it as a preventative (as is this case) - and would he "give it to his own child?"

He said yes. Worth taking, low side effects, would def give to his own son.

But I shall keep an eye out for issues - thanks.

Hows the boy Mamabear?

>

The World Health Organization has said that a sharp increase in swine flu cases in Australia may push it to finally announce a flu pandemic.

It would be the first such pandemic announced in four decades.

More than 1,200 people have contracted the virus in Australia, a four-fold increase in a week.

Less than a month ago Australia had only a handful of cases of the H1N1 virus but it now has the highest number of infections outside North America.

Victoria and the state capital, Melbourne, are the worst-hit with more than 1,000 confirmed cases, although most of those affected are suffering only a mild illness.

There have been no swine flu fatalities in Australia.

But the Queensland Health Minister Paul Lucas has warned it was inevitable the contagious respiratory condition would claim lives.

MB How is your son doing?? Hopefully AOK. Still seems to be a little hysteria here with swine flu. People who are getting it seem to say they are unwell for a couple of days and then fine. Yet another flu that seems to be doing the rounds on the coast at the moment is laying people up for a week.

I have had a flu for 3 weeks that I am still not over - and for the past week it has been on my chest - feel like my lungs keep filling up with fluid - but it is not Swine Flu. LOL

Kids are well - they have enjoyed the week off school.

We are all kinda hoping that the govt gets real and lifts the mandatory quarantine thing for those who have been exposed before school holidays comes around - last thing we need is a week off school AFTER the school holidays just coz we went on our holidays to the snow!! Some people are cancelling thier holidays for that reason - I am telling them they are nuts if they do. Better to live and enjoy.

The flu seems to get more persistent these days.

Ma'bear it sounds like you have a similar one that I had few months ago.

Horse Raddish really boosts your immune system. It worked for me!

I think it's good to get a flu once in a while... I'll be more worried if I don't get one for 10 years and there's a particularly bad one around the corner.

Best wishes for your family, get well and enjoy !

Not over here.

Another 7 cases overnight in Perth.

5 people in intensive care in Victoria.

Talk that WHO will declare a pandemic - first one in over 40 years.

Seems per capita Victoria has seen the biggest infection rate in the world - but that is not surprising as it is our regular flu season at the moment - cold, wet and rainy days/heated buildings with people congregating inside in the warm and dry - perfect breeding grounds. And anyone ever been to Melbourne in winter? HEEELLLLOOOOO!!! It is miserable.

I think we shall have the worst Swine Flu outbreak due simply to the timing - develop a vaccine, and be ready to immunize across the Northern Hemisphere before your winter flu season rolls around - theres my prediction for you.