• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow that is big.   Who gets to eat it?

eet's mine juu mether fackers....!!!

OH NOOO!!!! We all need to get our Muslamic ray guns!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIPD8qHhtVU

Australian lawyer smokes pages of Bible and Koran, asking 'Which is best?'

An Australian lawyer, Alex Stewart, has smoked pages torn from the Koran and the Bible, posting the video on YouTube just days after an American Pastor's threat to burn the Muslim holy book caused worldwide outrage.

Quote:

Falling in love comes at the cost of losing two close friends, a study says.

We probably all know that a passionate new relationship can leave you little time for others, but now science has put some numbers on the observation.

Oxford University researchers asked people about their inner core of friendships and how this number changed when romance entered the equation.

They found the core, which numbers about five people, dropped by two as a new lover came to dominate daily life.

"People who are in romantic relationships - instead of having the typical five [individuals] on average, they only have four in that circle," explained Robin Dunbar, a professor of evolutionary anthropology at Oxford.

"And bearing in mind that one those is the new person that's come into your life, it means you've had to give up two others."

The research, which has only recently been submitted for publication, was presented to the British Science Festival at Aston University.

Professor Dunbar's group studies social networks and how we manage their size and composition.

He has previously shown that the maximum number of friends it is realistically possible to engage is about 150. On the social networking site Facebook, for example, people will typically have 120-130 friends.

This number can be divided into progressively smaller groups, with an inner clique numbering between four and six.

These are people who we see at least once a week; people we go to at moments of crisis. The next layer out are the people we see about once a month - the "sympathy group". They are all the people who, if they died tomorrow, we would miss and be upset about.

In the latest study, the team questioned 540 participants, aged 18 and over, about their relationships and the strain those relationships came under when a new romantic engagement was started.

The results confirmed the widely held view that love can lead to a smaller support network, with typically one family member and one friend being pushed out to accommodate the new lover.

"The intimacy of a relationship - your emotional engagement with it - correlates very tightly with the frequency of your interactions with those individuals," observed Professor Dunbar.

"If you don't see people, the emotional engagement starts to drop off, and quickly.

"What I suspect happens is that your attention is so wholly focussed on your romantic partner that you just don't get to see the other folks you have a lot to do with, and therefore some of those relationships just start to deteriorate and drop down into the layer below."

Well there you go. I don't have 5 friends in total, so this study is bunk.
Originally Posted By: thursday
I call friends in the inner circle those who I'd die for and those who would die for me.

It's stupid having many of those.
I'd rather define the inner circle as those who I would donate a kidney too (if I had a decent Kidney to donate that is...) rather than die for.

As a parent I think the only people I would die for is my kids.
Even Papa - I think he would prefer I didn't die for him, and instead stuck around to raise the kids...and same in reverse.

Having kids changes things.

Pretty dumb study though. As if you can define how many friends is the maximum a person can have. slap Some people struggle to maintain a single friendship - other people are the consummate friend machines, easily juggling being awesome friends with dozens of people. Boils down to social skills and how much you value people being in your life.

Well... dunno about fake (not that I am professing to be a friend machine!)

Friends for a reason/season/lifetime.

I have TWO lifetime friends that are not related to me by blood or marriage. One since we were 3 and the third member of our triad of trouble since we were all 13. These women I would not think twice about donating a kidney to. In fact I wouldn't think twice about donating a kidney to child/partner of either of them.

But season/reason friends can be fun too.

But THIS IS a WAY too serious discussion for THIS thread! lol

Who really have friends like you were a twelve year old.

Something like that said in "Stand by me" There are friends and there are friends. Like what are you prepared to do ...

Yeah, Mamabear. Go boarding for sure !

THE film of the console game Resident Sewage 43: Crapocalypse is to be adapted back into a console game and then back into a film and so on until the ending of the world, it has been confirmed.

The latest instalment of the multi-billion franchise, in which the world is saved from zombie doom by a model dressed like a fetish schoolgirl highwayman, will be the first to be endlessly transposed between game and film until it degenerates into just a single image of an exploding goat.

Producer, Wayne Hayes, said: "If you thought the film of the game was hot, wait til you check out the film of the game of the film of the game of the film of the game. Of the film.

"The only difference between the game of the film and the film of the game will be that the voices in the game of the film will be performed by actors who will work for cider.

"There are always going to be concerns that the quality of the franchise could deteriorate. But if you look up the words 'quality' and 'deteriorate' you'd realise that doesn't make any sense."

Sewage fan Roy Hobbs said: "I'm the sort of person who files everything in two categories – '****' cool' or 'sucks'. After careful consideration I have concluded that this will be ****' cool."

Hayes also revealed that the Resident Sewage team have used Twitter to find out what their fans want from the endless series of repackaged characters and plotlines.

"The three most popular suggestions were 'explode', 'tentacled things' and 'boobs'. This mean our customers are either morons or marketing geniuses. Or maybe I'm the moron. Who knows?

"Who cares?"