A new Feature by Ben Gibson (Oyuki kigan) "Snowboarding Instructing in Japan", has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-snowboard-instructing-in-japan.html

"My first season was at Karuizawa Prince, a few years ago. I was a part-time instructor, and managed to get the job though a friend who knew the head of the school. My Japanese was not stellar, and my qualifications consisted solely of my Level 1 Canadian instructors license (CASI). However, they thought it was novel to have a foreign instructor, which perhaps was my only saving grace as I sorely lacked practical experience. In the end, I was presented as any other snowboard instructor. There were one time I was asked to use English (my clients were from Hong Kong) but for the most part I taught in Japanese."

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-snowboard-instructing-in-japan.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

Discuss it here...

good article thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

pity yachiho is a bit small, but it sounds like a fun hill. it would be pretty cool being greeted by lifties in animals suits. actually, it would be pretty fun wearing animal costumes and lapping pow all day.

was it transcendence that had the bunny suit section?

Nice article.

It's all lies though - I've seen Oyuki push kids over for doing turns of the incorrect radius, getting them to ride with one foot not stapped in "cos one-foot jumps are big this season", and actually not talking to one kid cos his goggles were not down on nose enough. cold.

plus he steals their lunch money to buy his smokes.

Oyuki,

Nice article - if i'm around next season, i'll have to head over to your mountain for a lesson - I need to work on my switch riding and a bit more park. I usually do lessons in the US cause my Japanese sucks.