The FOOTBALL Thread (2007-2008)

Some funny pros and cons from the times:

Manchester United

Pros: Not Chelsea. Have the country's/continent's/world's/galaxy's best and in-no-way arrogant player, Cristiano Ronaldo. The most attractive team (apart from Arsenal, obviously, but they stopped playing in February). Maybe if they win the Champions League too, Sir Alex Ferguson will retire and give somebody else a go.

Cons: Won it last year so it's somebody else's turn, it's only fair. All that extra prize money going to the Glazers; and we bet Malcolm still won't wear a properly-fitting pair of trousers. Volume of title-celebration merchandise shipped from Megastore via plane to core fanbase in Asia would significantly increase club's carbon footprint. Have Cristiano Ronaldo.

Chelsea

Pros: Not Manchester United. Would be a sensational comeback. Jose Mourinho would probably do something hilarious, like claim credit for it. Avram Grant may do something wild, such as hold a press conference where he does not answer questions, only repeating the phrase "I told you so!" and pointing at journalists, over and over. Would mean so much to Frank Lampard after recent events.

Cons: What with all that money, power and relentlessness, it feels a bit like rooting for the Death Star. Style of football is like watching paint dry, after you've spent 10 hours painting, after you've spent 2 hours in a traffic jam on the way home from the DIY store. A triumph for Roman Abramovich, who doesn't even go to the games - where's the loyalty, eh? Would mean so much to Ashley Cole after recent events.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I want

Wigan win, Chelsea lose. I'm afraid it is slightly unrealistic, so I'll go for this

Wigan 0-2 United

Chelsea 3-0 Bolton

I want a goal in the first minute from United, followed by another in the 5th and then complete dominance in the game.

I will enjoy it then.

A few friends coming round at 7, beer and wine in the fridge.

All ready.

COME ON UNITED!!!!! \:D

haha funny that big-will

Well, I think I'll be flicking through the 2 channels and watching both hoping for some drama. Neither to win would be best, but I dislike Chelsea more so I suppose the worse of the two.... hmm, no don't like that either. \:\(

Heres to exciting games!

The Wigan/United game will be closer than the other one I reckon. As you said scouse, the more dramatic, close with tons of goals the better seeing as though our guys aren't involved!

I'm looking forward to this and, once again, a little tipsy. I will be totally drunk by the time the games start in 110 minutes and cheering on some players in red. or blue. If only we could eat a virtual Wigan pie.

\:D

It wasn't much fun sitting through that until Giggsy came to save the day but what a way to win it - Gigggssyyyy!  So happy.

\:D

Time for the double I think!

Great that Bolton scored at the end there as well, so you won on points not goal difference. Haha.

Giggs has slowed down and not what he used to be but he is a great player, good on him.

Scholes was lucky to stay on the pitch there. Why has he never learnt how to tackle?!?

All this cry of bad reffing and United being lucky - wtf, did no-one see the blatant penalty on Scholes that wasn't given either? Talk about selective reporting.

Bottom line is that United deserved the title more than Chelsea, it would have been sad if their bland of brand this season won. ;\)

As great as the Ginger Prince is, he would be great if he could learn to tackle, but maybe a little late now!

Oh well, we couldn't pull that one off. Was close though.

CL to come.

About Man City. Unreal that result - and MIDDLESBOROUGH!?! lol.gif

Quote:
The off-the-field farce that has been Manchester City for the past few weeks found its way on to the pitch as their season ended in disarray with the side humiliated and Sven-Goran Eriksson heading for the exit. The manager was immediately summoned to a meeting with representatives of the owner, Thaksin Shinawatra, and the Swede was last night expected to be relieved of his duties with immediate effect.

"I don't know about an announcement, but I expect to speak to people from the owner's side - or should I say they will speak to me, " he said after his team gave Middlesbrough their biggest top-flight result in 58 years. A £2.5m pay-off and the offer of immediate re-employment as Benfica's coach will soften the blow.

Yeah, I wonder if he'll manage.

They just need to be BETTER, not just in one game!!!

I reckon I might be able to manage with 2.5 million pay-off. That man is amazing - not at his job, at getting money for not being that great at it.

I thought Sven at Citeh has just done the same as he did for England. Started promisingly but soon get found out at the business end of things. For England's big wins over the Jormans and the Argies, see Citeh's two wins in the derby. Richard Dunne and Micah Richards were there from last season, so its not as if he built their defence. One year on and they're still struggling to score goals.

Some entertaining yips from ManYoo there, but they didn't bottle it in the end. It nearly came down to all them goals they put past Newcastle!