The FOOTBALL Thread (2007-2008)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gauniad.

"Support Germany in Euro 2008"

"1. Avoid shootout heartbreak

Many tears were shed after Steve McClaren's England team failed to qualify for Euro 2008 ... but let's face it, it's going to be business as usual for British football supporters. Just like during the domestic season, you will have to cheer on a team full of foreigners. Why not make that team the three-time World Cup winner and universally revered superpower that is Germany? You wouldn't know, but there is nothing better than celebrating sporting victory. Supporting Germany will give you a once-in-a-lifetime chance not only to back the winning team but also to forgo the heartbreak of losing in a penalty shootout. Germany has not lost a penalty shootout in a major international tournament since 1976."

lol

More here:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/05/29/who_should_we_back_in_euro_200.html

Yes, hear about him getting paid tons to cover the Euros?

People like him and Sven, I just don't know how they do it. Got to admire it in a way though.

I only saw the little report on the beeb website but in the post match interview, England's John Terry just keeps saying "I'm a big man! I'm a big man!". Yes mate, and MC Hammer was "2 Legit 2 Quit".

New one is that Capello reckons Rooney is a liability and needs anger management. Makes a change from Fergie defending him.

Terry what a wuss.

About Rooney - he has actually been pretty good this year in terms of anger management, only been one or two flashpoints and he was usually taken off before he exploded. But much better than a few years ago. He may not have got the goals in numbers but he was a backbone of the team.

thumbsup

Anyone else been following the Ronaldo to Real bull that Real and the papers over there have been dishing up.

Almost daily, no end in sight. Now they have his godfather, his mum, the dogs, Portugal coach Scolari and his neighbour advising him to move.

Its hard to know how much of this is just made up or how much is Ronaldo wanting more money, but he needs to say something. I'm disappointed in him and it's getting very tiring reading it.

:(

As the proverb says

No player is bigger than United.

smile

If he really wanted to go, then go. Take the dosh and go. ManU is the theater that all dremers want to perform at.

If he stays, then go for it.

If he leaves, then there are many who could step in.

Beckham left and the club survived I think.

The club have done right with coming out that they've come out and said he's going nowhere. That's the end of the speculation really, he's under contract, his value will deminish little having 3 years left on a contract rather than 4, for his own sake he should just come out and categorically end the speculation he's helped stoke.

It's all getting tired now and it seems Fergie is starting to get pissed.

I don't want to see us lose any of our best players. But if he goes, he goes, new players come in and represent Manchester United. I just prefer that while they are at the club, they act with a tad more class.

But it seems that some randomly made up transfer bollocks gets more publicity these days that a genuinely well written piece about football.

if they can get 40M for him then they should take it. he's at his peak. remember when everyone wanted ronaldinho a few years ago? who wants him now?

It's all very curious.

There doesn't seem to be an announcement to make, even though he is saying there will be one in the next day or so. United aren't openly having talks on renewing his contract, though it may be the case I suppose. I doubt Scolari and him will be wanting a very messy move way (which is what it would be) just before the Euros. So what will he announce.

Better than Corrers.

And I think they would be wanting way more than 40M.

The self proclaimed "The Worlds Greatest Newspaper" rollabout, The Daily Express, today

CRISTIANO RONALDO hinted last night that he is ready to drop a transfer bombshell on Manchester United this week.

Portugal winger Ronaldo’s latest failure to clarify his position is fuelling fears at Old Trafford that he has been swayed by Real Madrid’s persistent attempts to entice him to Spain and could be on the brink of demanding a move after five years in England when he has won every major trophy.

After his country’s 2-0 win over Georgia in their final warm-up before Euro 2008, Ronaldo replied to questions about his future by saying: “Let’s see, I hope there will be news soon. In two to three days I will announce my decision.” Those 19 words will only serve to deepen Sir Alex Ferguson’s concern that his star player and leading goalscorer wants to quit, with Real poised to make a world-record £100 million offer.

I can't believe lots of the non-stories out there.

Hopefully we will know in the next day or so and see what Ronaldo himself 'announces'. confused

A lot of United supporters are actually it seems hoping we sell right now, well saying that anyway. wink

I've supported United a long time now. Seen great players come and then go. Also seen the likes of Scholes and Giggs be the true loyal gents they are.

Got to say though I can't remember Sir Alex talking like he (apparently) did the other day.

Not sure about all this. Ronaldo is certainly not helping the situation with all his grins and cheeky comments but lets see what happens.

Here are the options for master Ronaldo:

1) Goes to Real. Negative: Real are not as good as Man Utd and he wont win much. Positives: (1) He's already won champions league. (2) He will become the worlds biggest star and get megabucks.

2) Stays with Man Utd. Negatives: He should have said from the start he is staying and not peed off his manager and fans. Positives: Better for his career *as a sportsman* as opposed to as a celebrity.

Based on this, I think he is going to go to Real. If not, why not just say so earlier? He is ego-centric, you have to look at his stupid step overs and his (failed) dummy in the champions league final PK, and the biggest thing for his ego will be to go to Real for megabucks.

If his announcement is that he wants to move to Real Madrid, Fergie's nose will get purpler and, considering what he said the other day about not not selling on the bench mate etc, we might have a really tasty war/drama on our hands.

Personally I think he owes SAF much more than we are led to believe he is showing him and the club.

Huge Head Ronaldo, good as he obviously is, is probably best advised to come out and says how much he loves United and just stay, possibly with better image rights in his contract or whatever. After all, he must be hurting on 120,000 (pounds not yen) a week.

Quote:
Sven-Goran Eriksson has left Manchester City, the club confirmed this morning.

Although a statement by the club refers to the former England coach leaving by mutual consent, it is widely believed that he was forced out by the owner, Thaksin Shinawatra.

"I have enjoyed my time at Manchester City very much indeed and in particular, I would like to thank the fans, players and staff for their amazing support over the season," Eriksson said.

"I wish the club - and everyone associated with it - much success in the coming years."

He was seen leaving Mankchester with huge suitcases full of cash from the owner, thought to be worth more than $900 billion.

Ronaldo is going nowhere, he will be in a United shirt come August.

If he thinks he can come out and say he wants a move to the press before Fergie and the club themselves, he is either seriously thick or thick skinned or just plain nuts.

It's a non story, I'm sure of it. He'll probably move next summer or the one after that but for now, he stays.