The FOOTBALL Thread (2007-2008)

Quote:
Chelsea have sacked manager Avram Grant after just eight months in charge.

Hardly a surprise that.

Quote:
The decision followed two days of talks between Grant, 53, and the club's chief executive Peter Kenyon.

The Israeli coach's position had been subject to intense speculation after Chelsea finished runners-up in the Premier League and Champions League.

Russia coach Guus Hiddink, fellow Dutchman Frank Rijkaard and Manchester City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson are among the early favourites to replace Grant.

FFS please not Eriksson, he just needs to be out of our view.
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Both Kenyon and chairman Bruce Buck paved the way for change by insisting that Chelsea's performance this season was simply "not good enough".

Buck said: "We have very high expectations at Chelsea and a couple of second place finishes is just not good enough for us.

"So although we never would have thought in September when Jose Mourinho left that we would be able to make it into a Champions League final as we did - and that is fantastic - Chelsea are here to win trophies.

"So although it was an excellent season, we are still disappointed."

Sorry but this is total nonsense and self-contradiction. On the one hand, he says he never expected to get into the final, then in the next breathe he is saying its not good enough.

I see Mark Hughes name in the list of candidates, that would be interesting.

I dont think they are stupid enought o go for Erikson.

The Mail has Chelsea "swooping" for Torres, 50 million cash in hand...

That Grant fellow, he always looked so uninterested. I still don't know much about him, doubt we ever will now.

Quote:
Grant will not complain too loudly, however, certainly not to his bank manager, as with a payoff negotiated on top of his salary, his earnings over that period come to an extraordinary £8 million.

Grant’s £980,000-a-year contract as director of football was upgraded to £2.8 million last December after he had become first-team coach. Two days of negotiating with Peter Kenyon at Stamford Bridge on Friday and Saturday proved even more lucrative. Grant received a payoff of £5.2 million, which, although that is less than half of what José Mourinho was awarded, it still represents riches beyond the wildest imaginings of a man whose most high-profile job before joining Chelsea was managing Israel, where he earned £100,000.

It's just out of control ridiculous isn't it.

I think that's the rules they have in America for their "soccer", scouser, "to make it more fun and have more goals".

wink

5.2 million pounds for getting the sack after 9 months.

Rubbish.

Insulting.

He wants as much as he deserves!!!!! (which is obviously much much more)

Quote:
The fallout from Avram Grant’s controversial sacking by Chelsea took an intriguing twist yesterday when it emerged that the Israeli has appointed Anthony Julius, one of the country’s most high-profile solicitors and best known for representing Diana, Princess of Wales, in her divorce from the Prince of Wales, to negotiate his severance terms.

Grant is understood to have been unhappy with the payoff offered by Peter Kenyon, the Chelsea chief executive, after two days of talks over the weekend, as it contrasted unfavourably with the £12 million José Mourinho received in the wake of his dismissal last September. He has brought in Julius to help secure him a better deal.

Quote:
Fernando Torres has told Real Madrid that Cristiano Ronaldo would be worth breaking the bank for.

Despite continued angry rebukes from Manchester United, Real link themselves with a move for the Portuguese winger.

Liverpool striker Torres, on international duty with Spain, said: "I have seen the figures mentioned and it is a lot of money but I would tell Real Madrid, almost at any price, it would be a great deal.

But that is not my decision."

YOU DON'T SAY!!!

rollabout

Grant did good!

Cham Lg final, Carling Cup final, pipped to the premiership. A little luck and he could have had a treble. I think he was hard done by!

Yes I do as well actually. Obviously he does as well!

But still he don't think most of it is down to him as such. The foundations of Jose, the players themselves. Apparently Grant had hardly anything to do with training etc.

Move onwards I say.