• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GYOZA!

So like a home-made version then.   Sounds good to me.

I was avoiding ramen over summer, just too hot, but got back into it the last few weeks. Miso negi. Can't beat it.

• 2 weeks later...

Dundee cake!

Yum. I make a good one too.

Put the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy – or an electric mixer will do this much more quickly.

Whisk the eggs separately then, a little at a time, beat them into the creamed butter and sugar. Next, using a large tablespoon, carefully fold in the flour and baking powder. Your mixture needs to be of a good, soft, dropping consistency so, if it seems too dry, add a dessertspoon of milk.

Now carefully fold in the currants, sultanas, cherries, mixed peel, ground almonds and orange and lemon zests. Then spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin, smoothing it out evenly with the back of the spoon. Next arrange the whole almonds in circles on top of the mixture, but do this carefully and lightly; if they are pressed in they will sink during the baking.

Place the cake in the centre of the oven and bake for 2-2½ hours or until the centre is firm and springy to the touch. Let it cool before taking it out of the tin. This cake keeps very well in an airtight tin and tastes all the better if kept for a few days before cutting.

Dundee cake is not your run of the mill fruit cake that you get at Christmas, that would be Dumpling. Dundee cake has a different flavour, texture and is usually topped with sliced almonds.

This cake comes from my home town