I love chocolate and high cacao chocolate especially.

It has been great in the past few weeks and months, the major choco makers here have been gearing up with high cacao percentage chocolate.

Meiji is at the forefront of the bitter run, Lotte has a couple of 70 and 80% bars out too.

some good ones are

Meiji Noir - 63% rich but still milky, I like this one

Meiji 'Cacao 72' and 'cacao 86' are great too especially the 86%, so rich and has fantastic aftertaste.

BUT the bad boy of the lot! the Meiji cacao 99%.

meiji-cacao-99.jpg

only been out about 3 weeks and its the shizz! so rich and the immediate astringency is almost overwhelming, so bitter, but let it melt in your mouth and after a while the rich cocao flavour linger, smother your taste buds and allow you to savour it.

found this on a site about another 99% chocolate

To fully appreciate all its flavor, we recommend that you progressively develop your palate through our range of high cocoa content chocolate bars, starting with Excellence 70% cocoa, then 85%, and finally 99% cocoa. To best experience Excellence 99% cocoa, taste a small piece and let it melt in your mouth. You can accompany your tasting with a coffee to help bring out the bouquet of cocoa aromas.

they are not wrong there about the working you way up to the 99%, you will blow a gasket if you munch on piece coming in from the cold

It comes with a warning on the label! its that strong and recommends you eat it with something sweet or drink something with it.

I am nibbling an some right now while drinking peppermint tea but usually I eat it straight,

its is nigh on impossible to eat a whole bar - couple of pieces and youre done, my first bar took me 3 days! - a new personal record for making one bar of choco last. But after 4 bars I have built up to being able to eat it quite comfortably, 3 - 4 pieces at a time.

It is good to eat it with yoghurt and I am guessing ice cream.

99% leaves F-all room for any sugar or milk which is just the way I like it!

Anyone else a high octane chocolate freak?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SnowG - that's good advice to slowly work your way thru the %ages.

The other week my wife bought the 86 after a few weeks of the 72 - all yummy.

Last Sunday the first 99'er. She broke off a slab popped it into my mouth while I was driving and greedy me crunched it lasciviously.

Kinda like I had put a desssert spoon of cocoa powder in my mouth.

Trapped in the traffic with a "dirty" mouth.

Going gingerly from now.

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
lets chocoholic!! clap.gif

Thanks for inflating my deflated spare tire mad.gif lol.gif
dude at 99% you arent getting diddly squat refined sugar or milk fat in that.
Thats always been the trouble with chocolate especially milk chocolate - all the crap that comes bundled with the cacao. Now scientists have found discovered the virtues of the polyphenols, the crap has been kicked out and the good stuff remains, who would have thought - a form of chocolate a health food!

One bar of 99% has 290cal, 23g of worthwhile plant fat, 6.7 grams of protein.
It also has 1700mg of polyphenols

They are natural preservatives, they counteract the oxidation which turns good cholesterol (HDL) into bad cholesterol (LDL), cacao flavonoids have a stronger anti-oxidant effect than the flavonoids found in red wine.

Japanese studies have indicated Cacao polyphenols may protect the body against substances which damage the immune system, causing rheumatism and arthritis.
Also certain polyphenols in cacao may neutralise the free radicals which affect DNA in body cells. possibly they may neutralise other free radicals which cause cancer.
one cacao polyphenol (epicatechin) may also have an inhibitory effect on the development of certain cancers.
Cocoa polyphenols also seem to thin the blood, which slows the rate of coagulation, reducing the risk of heart attack and stroke.
they also regulate platelets in the blood to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis.
cacaoa polyphenols may even enhance immune function by enhancing the growth and activation of T-lymphocytes - infection fighting white blood cells and regulate other immune responses.

Cacao contains phenethylamine (PEA), which stimulates the nervous system, triggering the release of endorphins, to dull pain and give a sense of well being.
cacao can also boost brain levels of serotonin, especially in women who tend to be more sensitive to chocolate than men.
cacaoa polyphenols also inhibit the natural breakdown of anandamide, a neurotransmitter normally found small amounts in the brain which can produce a feeling of euphoria.

lots of big bold big claims, even if half of them are slightly true it makes me feel good about eating chocolate!

respect1.gif

great - i saw them at the drugstore. decided not to get them cause they are quite pricey. but after that run-down snowglider, sounds like a bargain!

quote:

"you will blow a gasket if you munch on piece coming in from the cold" Im going to take up the challenge!

sadglass.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
SG, This is my favorite chocolate at this moment.
1848cafe.jpg

As I said before , I'm scared of trying more than 85% cacao but may try Meiji 99%, if you say it's so good. ;\)
I forgot about that thread slow, I found some of that Poulain a few weeks ago, kept the box for reference,it was good but too expensive, the meiji stuff is good enough for me.

DSCN0884.jpg

A month ago at Circle K I found a square box of 72% Lotte - colorful box with a pic of Africa on the cover, it was really good but havent seen it since.

I just experimented this morning with a rare cup of brewed hawaiin coffee (I seldom drink coffee) and some 99% - bloody good combo!

That sure sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out myself.

I'm glad to hear that chocolate is REALLY GOOD FOR YOU as well snowglider. Thanks, I'll take your word for it!

Someone gave me some of that 99% chocolate yesterday. The first few moments were enjoyable, but I needed to wash my mouth out after 5 minutes to avoid the "turd tongue" sensation.

Quote:
but usually I eat it straight
- classic \:D

Surely its cheaper to just buy cocoa powder though and eat that instead?

Also, what is the remaining 1% then? It must be some kind of liquid that holds the powder together...mysterious. It would be awesome if the ingredients on the back just read: 'Cocoa, water.'

I got some of that 99% and also a 70% yesterday.

I like the 70%.

But the 99%? I thought it was pretty disgusting actually. Yeuck.

Quote:
Originally posted by rach:

But the 99%? I thought it was pretty disgusting actually. Yeuck.
thats because you failed to heed the advice of working up to it, rolleyes.gif

its not something you munch on huge piece like Augutus Galoop in Willy Wonka's factory, you gotta nibble it, eat it with something else.

Spud was right about British people and chocolate.

Big-will, you miss the point. Who could be satisfied with a pint of Theakstons or Sam Smiths when you have the choice of a schooner of frosted horse-piss, or nothing? The variety and choices available prove that Orstraya is the Cultural Centre of the World.

lol.gif

I tried it.

Being British, I obviously thought it was pretty disgusting.

I'm really not into the idea of "working myself up" into making myself like something. Sounds a bit daft to me, that.