I agree Scouser, to me the whole idea of an "acquired taste" is silly. If I don't like something, then why would I try to put in effort to build up a taste for it? wakaranai.gif

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
I agree Scouser, to me the whole idea of an "acquired taste" is silly. If I don't like something, then why would I try to put in effort to build up a taste for it? wakaranai.gif
well that argument is about to fall flat on it face....
hmmm, "acquired taste" its what a lot of people do with beer, how many teenagers truly love the taste of beer when first start drinking? How many of them forced themselves to drink it and "put in an effort" to build up a taste for it?
Be honest put up your hands, I for one thought beer tasted like shit when I was a teenager and forced my self to like it and strangely enough I built up taste for it.
Peer pressure, a desire to fit in are all motivating factors to acquire taste in this instance.

Bitter chocolate does grow on you, it may taste chalky, very astringent and generally 'too much', but its starts to grow on you and suddenly regular milk chocolate no longer satisfies.

The health benefits of it are reasonable enough factors to motivate one to "acquire the taste".

but whatever, to each their own.

ok, ok, things that grow on you, I will concede. There are food s that grow on you the more you eat them. But for the most part (excluding alcohol, which in my opinion is the exception and not the rule ;\) ) why would I want to persevere for food if I simply don't like it? At least with beer there was the benefit of getting pissed after forcing yourself to drink it right? There are health benefits to eating many things that I don't enjoy eating, but I don't sit there and try and make myself eat them. Actually, why the hell am I even arguing about this? lol.gif

I tried some 99% last night with a Reeses Peanut Butter cup a friend gave me - it was brilliant!

the bitter chocolate offset the sickly sweetness of the Reeses (and vice versa) and got the balance just right. It was dangerously good!

Had a small nibble and decided I didn't want to eat it on its own.

So decided to melt it with some sugar and milk and use it as a sauce with a cake we had left over from last night. Big improvement!

SG, I tried your favorite Meiji 99% chocolate now, just a tiny piece... I don't think I can finish all. What should I do with the rest of this chocolate...??? shifty.gif \:\(

I got some 80 and 99 yesterday. I actually really like the 80 one but I think that might be the limit. Took a small nibble of the 99 and did not like it one bit. Yuck. I know what you mean slow - what should I do with the rest of it lol.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
SG, I tried your favorite Meiji 99% chocolate now, just a tiny piece... I don't think I can finish all. What should I do with the rest of this chocolate...??? shifty.gif \:\(
eat it with something else at the same time, icecream, m&m's etc
thumbup.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by snowglider:
 Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
eat it with something else at the same time, icecream, m&m's etc
thumbup.gif
Icecream or m&m's are not healthy!!
I eat it with prunes and it tastes better now. But I still can't understand this 99% black object! ;\)

I'm still wondering what to do with the 80% of it thats left over. Get someone else to buy it and just have a 1cm square - that'll be enough ;\)

Quote:
Actually, I don't want to call it "Chocolate"!
lol.gif

Me too.
I like a creamy taste.

I've been passing the rest of my 99% round the office. It seems to get the same response from most people (though I do tell them they need to work up to it! ;\) )

okay, I saw this thread, so decided to try it. Last week someone gave me some 75%, I didn't like it that much - it either needed to be more bitter or less bitter for my tastes. Yesterday I found some 99%. I like it, sure you can only eat a small amount but that's probably better for you than eating a whole lot with milk and sugar at once. I'm not sure how much sugar (if any) is in the 99%, but it felt really clean in my stomach, unlike other chocolate I've eaten. For some reason it felt healthy. It also satisfied my chocolate craving with a few small pieces, where sometimes after eating regular chocolate I still want more.

I give it the thumbs up. I can also see how people would like it shaved into small flakes on to ice cream.