Interesting post Spud, now back to the thread:

Wooo HOO!!

France is in the final clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

not a very good game though. I find it hard to feel proud over winning from a pk. Oh well, at least Zidane gets to finish up in a final thumbsup.gif

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a very interesting piece in the Guardian today about whether this has been a good or bad World Cup.

Well done France.

France vs Italy, who would have thought.

>>>>>

The full table of modern tournaments, which begins once the full knockout format was introduced at Mexico 86, suggests that football has a significant problem.

Mexico 86 42 goals in 15 games

Italia 90 30 goals in 15 games

USA 94 44 goals in 15 games

France 98 42 goals in 15 games

Korea/Japan 02 26 goals in 15 games

Germany 06 23 goals in 13 games

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/worldcup06/2006/07/05/a_dull_old_game.html

Id say this world cup hasnt been particularly exciting. Im surprised about the lack of goals - the new ball makes it much harder for keepers and thats why we had so many long range goals in the group games.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
Interesting post Spud, now back to the thread:

Wooo HOO!!

France is in the final clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

not a very good game though. I find it hard to feel proud over winning from a pk. Oh well, at least Zidane gets to finish up in a final thumbsup.gif
More importantly Kuma, Portugal lost! Woohoo! Didn't want to see their dirty play get them thru to the final.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
[More importantly Kuma, Portugal lost! Woohoo! Didn't want to see their dirty play get them thru to the final. [/QB]
Too true. I really didn't want to see Ronaldo lifting the trophy. I actually liked him at the start of the tournament but now I can't stand him. The French fans booed him everytime he touched the ball.

I only saw the last 15 minutes and I liked it a lot better then Portugal previous 2 games. At least they were playing.

Based on these 15 minutes and a discutable penalty I'd say France wasn't the better team.

But it is better to have 10 men and a clown in the final than Portugal. Imagine France having a good goalie they would be very, very hard to beat.

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:

Is Bavaria treating you well?
Very nice! I share a lot of the same sentiments as you and have noticed things to be quite similar where I am at. The people here are generally the nicest I've ever met as far as strangers go. Since I speak German moderately, they really seem to appreciate it when I try, even if I have to stumble around a bit with the words. It opens them up to speak what English they know and they seem to like to practice it on me once they know they can revert back to German if necessary.

I'm really digging the city I live in also. It's nowhere near the size of Dusseldorf, but to me it's quite large and there always seems to be something going on. Completely different from any other place I've lived in the past 10 years. It's very centerally located so getting to places like Regensburg, Munich, Nurnberg, Prague, Bayreuth, etc... is very easy. Berlin is pretty much a straight shot up the Autobahn also. Having the train station only a 5 minute walk from my apartment is a huge bonus. I've already taken advantage of that a few times. With the daily Bavaria rail pass, train travel is super cheap (especially compared to Japan).

And yes, the food and drink here is fantastic! The food is just so damn fresh and for the most part, it's all natural. The market across from my place mainly sells Bio products which are great. I love the saturday market in front of the Alt Rathaus (old courthouse) - fresh meats, fresh fruits and veggies, flowers, crafts, wines, etc.. and it's all very reasonably priced.

I think my biggest gripe so far is the business hours most places hold. It makes it very tough to get any shopping done after work. This usually leaves Saturdays for shopping and getting my errands completed. The city is just an absolute madhouse on this day, however, which means doing anything takes twice or three times as long. I am getting used to it, however and learning how to somewhat avoid the crowds.

Once I get settled in and get my goods from AK in a couple of weeks, I'll PM you. I may be up in your area next month. If you ever find yourself down this way, let me know.

----------------
Okay, back to the world cup! \:\)

Saturday is going to be fun! It will be interesting watching my upstairs neighbors during the Germany/Portugal game. He's German and his fiance is Portugese. I bet they'll both be bummed when I speak with them tonight. They went down to Munich to watch the games at the Fan Fest and both are coming back this evening after watching their teams lose.

I kind of hope Italy wins on Sunday. Their are a lot of Italian restaurants in my area and maybe the pizza will be extra good (or possibly free!) if the Italians can pull off a victory!

the refs are decided not a good sign for wanye really. I thought that ref stunk even without the red. he missed to handballs one in the box.

When i saw the replays i also didnt think that wanye even stepped on him. am i wrong?

France all the way I hate Italy only when it comes to football.

Even though I'm French and so very biased, I have to say that I have never liked an Italian team. I don't even think that the Italians have been impressive. They had an arguably easy group, with the tcheks folding and all. They then had the easiest elimination round opponents in Australia and Ukraine. Australia took them to the limit too. Even in the game against the Germans, it wasn't til 2 minutes before penalties that they scored.

Sanno, midway through the 2nd half the French stopped sending all their attackers on runs. They still attacked but with 3 guys tops. The final few minutes were pretty crazy though, with Barthez' beach volleyball impression. Phew!

lol.gif That is class, good to see it again after a while

England underperform, as if we didn't know:

ENGLAND'S footballers are under-performing - and that's (almost) official.

As if fans up and down the country need to be told, Sven Goran Eriksson failed to get the most out of his squad in Germany according to the boffins.

Researchers came to the same conclusion as millions of supporters after devising a formula to determine how good the world's teams should be based on factors including climate, population and wealth.

According to academics from the Cass Business School in London, England should be ranked fourth in the world, although their average FIFA ranking between 2000 and 2005 has only been ninth.

Researchers looked at a large range of factors when considering what might affect a national team's performance. Factors used were the number of men who play football regularly (P), the number of years the country has been a member of FIFA (N), wealth (W), the number of internationals who play abroad (E) and climate.

The formula used was ((111xP) + (1.2xN) + (5.8xE) + (188xW) - (1.2xWxE) - 68) - 881 to calculate results for each country.

The results suggested that none of the home nations were reaching their potential with Scotland ranked 51 by FIFA and 34 by Cass' Wales ranked 79 by Fifa and 37 by Cass and Northern Ireland ranked 101 by Fifa and 48 by Cass.

Meanwhile countries like Brazil (Cass ranking of 18 but ranked top by FIFA) and Argentina (Cass ranking of 12, three by FIFA) were overperforming.

World Cup finalists Italy were ranked at three by the research, four places above their Fifa ranking of seven.

Their opponents on Sunday, France, should be number five in the world according to Cass. Their average FIFA ranking is two.

Dr Gelade, author of the research, said: "These findings show England's poor performance at the World Cup is even more disappointing because the country has many a dvantages."