I didn't see the game, will save that for later today, but as the Guardian so said, Aussie friends:

"A rite of passage for you.

And a right laugh for the rest of us ...."

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just watched the first half and went to bed. Can't handle teaching elementary school kids without sleep \:\( and I've got the France game coming at 4am tonight thumbsup.gif

but I am glad I saved myself the heartache at the end! It was a real good run by Oz starting back with the playoff against Uruguay. thumbsup.gif

Should be two classic matches tonight, Im not sure which one to watch.

this is one of those 'wish i had the day off tomorow so I could pull an all nighter' times.

Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:
That Holland Portugal game was a riot!
strong words from the press about the debacle of Nuremburg

GRAHAME L. JONES (LA Times Association Football correspondent)
"The 2006 World Cup has been irrevocably tainted.
....some will call memorable and others will label a disgrace.. Portuguese won, 1-0, earned no friends from the time-wasting and sly tricks played by captain Luis Figo and Co. Or perhaps Figo believes head-butting an opponent is all part of the game.
It will take years for the Dutch to repair their once-proud reputation for stylish, attacking soccer, turned to violence when its skills fell woefully short.

If Portugal was the pickpocket, then the Netherlands was the thug.

Or perhaps Dutch defender Khalid Boulahrouz believes slapping an opponent in the face is appropriate behavior.

And then there were the referees.
Referee Valentin Ivanov of Russia and his two Russian assistants, Nikolay Golubev and Evgueni Volnin, were so far out of their depth that they couldn't see the shore, let alone touch bottom.

No World Cup game in 76 years had featured four red cards. This one did
The high for yellow cards in a World Cup game is 16 or 18, depending on the record book. This game had 16.
... Joseph "Sepp" Blatter, stated categorically before the tournament began that the referees selected to officiate the event "are currently the best match officials in the world."
If that's the case, then the worst really must be something to see.
Ivanov was atrocious. Pitiful.
Never mind that English referee Graham Poll handed out three yellow cards to the same player. Never mind that Mexican referee Benito Archundia failed to see France score against South Korea when the ball clearly crossed the goal line. Never mind that there have been numerous other bad calls at Germany '06.
All those mistakes are minor by comparison with what Ivanov achieved Sunday night.

Van Basten was astounded
"It's a pity that the referee made a mess of this game," he said. "I don't want to say too hard, but in the end I think you can say it because it was just a mess."

Ivanov and his crew had no control from start to finish. Once the players realized he was powerless, fouls degenerated into shoving and tripping, eventually resulting in on-field brawls, right in front of the hapless officials.

The sad thing was that in between one fracas or another, there were moments of sublime play, enough to fill a highlight reel."

The Aust/Italy game was good but the Aussies never really looked likely to score - the Aussie attacks, when they come are generally pretty soft. Italy on the other hand looked the goods everytime they got close to the goal. Australia did well and were lucky with the red card but it would have been unfair if they had won. Italy were clearly the better side even they did play a little too defensively.

Quote:
Australia were the dominant side in that game
Australia did well, but I think you are wearing some special glasses there Bushpig. ;\)

At the end they had a good spell (well apart from the very end) but you can expect that playing with more men.

The pressure on Totti must have been pretty immense and he didn't bottle it.

PS Do they sell inflatable kangeroos everywhere in Australia? \:\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rag-Doll:
I can't imagine any other country being silly enough to carry around blow up animal dolls.
how about blow up British icons????

blobby.jpg

w00t.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by rach:
 Quote:
Australia were the dominant side in that game
Australia did well, but I think you are wearing some special glasses there Bushpig. ;\)

Yeah I agree Rach. lol.gif Take a look at the time that I posted that. Pretty much as soon as I got home from the pub, and very inebriated! Hehe.

Italy plays some good D. As the auzzie coach said "we are not a deep team and cant afford to loose one key player" kwell (spelling) out for the game really hurt the play making up front.

Also what is that idiot doing sliding in injury time right through the player. even if he got the ball he cant go straight through him. Sorry that guy is a goat.

Figo is a disagrace and the head butting was just the start of his stupidity. He owes soccer football a big "im sorry".

Quote:
Originally posted by Rag-Doll:
Farquah - it was an attempt at a joke. I can't imagine any other country being silly enough to carry around blow up animal dolls.
;) Sorry mate thats what lack of sleep and excessive football watching does to you!!Am about as sharp as a marshmellow today!! :p

The sheep must be jealous.

I'm sorry to see Australia kicked out actually. They sure were better to watch than smelly England. And of course, they had Kennedy 194cm. Quite how they failed to be crowded the World Cup winners with Kennedy 194cm in their team escapes me.

snowglider, before seeing your post I had almost forgotten about Mr Blobby. Thank you not. mad.gif

Yes bobby12, didn't you know the World Cup has finished. I hear there are some tall gaijin blokes kicking a ball around somewhere in some foreign country. Maybe.

I watched the first half of the Brazil game last night and thought 2-0 at half time seemed a little unfair on Ghana. They just couldn't finish moves off but looked better than Brazil at times. I think they had more possession as well. Brazil still not revved up it seems.

I wish Spain had beaten France. Seems they bottled it. Again.