Jogging gaijin stopped by the police

I was out jogging last night along a deserted country road (my usual route), police were there and stopped me - asking for my passport! While I was jogging for christs sake! When I said I didnt have it they said I should have it with me wherever I am (!) and that there had been some reports about some suspicious looking foreigner (!!) mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif They demanded I go to the police station tonight with my passport.

mad.gif

Will report again tomorrow mad.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mumbojumbo Its got nothing to do with hard or easy. The term gaijin is used too loose in this country. The police couldve have said a white male gaijin a big fat ..... gaijin but we all get lumped togethe. So the police say we are looking for a gaijin. I just went through a week of being pulled over 3 times. I have never done anything wrong. One time I rushed out to meet my wife without my torokusho cause a freaky Japanese guy around here grabs womens breasts and flashes them. The police got angry when I said I didnt have the card. My wife and I got angry cause all they do is sit in a well lit area pulling over bikes. We told them to fix the street lights or ask to have them fixed. This way women wouldnt have to walk down a dark street scared. Nothing has been fixed.

Been hard or easy is not the point.

There is something where foreigners are suppose to carry their registration card with them at all times - I read it many years ago when I first got here. Never been stopped out running and if I was that cop would have to catch me before I stopped. Damn, theyre not all fat@$$es like in America but Im sure they all smoke cigs.

Feel for ya mad.gif

I've heard that too - should we take them in the onsen too lol.gif

Seriously, thats a right bummer Orange. How is the jogging going anyway?

F them you dont have to have your passport on you. Thats what the card is for and if they are the police they should have a record of you and Im sure all the gaijin card info is on a computer somewhere. Get them to look it up themselves. Imagine how many people would loose their passports if they had to carry them around 24/7.

I wouldnt take it in today, maybe tomorrow, but dont take your passport. Its none of their damn business where youve been. The only info they need is your gaijin card. Useless assholes.

What a crock.

Its times like that when a decent grasp of Japanese comes in handy. I always find it a little difficult explaining to someone why they should go F-themselves, using taxi Japanese. It inevitably results in me shouting "Baka".

Ocean, mate welcome back. Its good to see you're still in fine form. It just hasn't been the same without you.

I would be not pleased about the situation, but go to the police as instructed. I'd tell them politely and with respect (due or not) that I strongly thought that what they did was not on and not acceptable. They would probably accept that, and if they did then I would be ok with the situation.

That way, they may gain a favorable impression of me (and gaijin), realise that what they did was not good, may learn from the situation (and a bit about humanity) in the process.

That would be way far more constructive than shouting baka, telling them to f-themselves and causing a massive fuss.

I was once stopped in the street and they asked to see my gaijin card. From what I believe, they have every right to - we are by law supposed to carry that with us at all times.

Asking for your gaijin card is fine. Asking for your passport is not. Also being reasonable I think has to be in there somewhere. I mean if you are out jogging you dont have your wallet on you so why should they expect you to have your gaijin card in your pocket - indeed if you do have any pockets. They could have accompanied you to your house to have a geeze at it instead of making you bring it in the next day. But they didnt ask for the card but the passport which I think is none of their business. All the details they need are on the gaijin card.

I believe any foreigner failing to produce a gaijin card is liable for a 5,000 yen fine. A bummer, but a stipulation for living in Japan.

Seven years in Japan though, and never been asked to produce it, even after being stopped for traffic violations. It does concern me at times though, like when you do a beer run at midnight on yer mamachari in pj bottoms and a skenky vest ...

On getting stopped though, I'm starting to believe it's not just about being a foreigner, but also the way many foreigners present themselves. Just being in a suit or smartly dressed generates a humbled response from authority figures. Proving you belong to. Once, at a police station (parking ticket) after handing over my meishi bearing a position in a respected company, polite became obsequious...

Orange, you weren't jogging in Y-fronts and a string vest were ya... ;\)

PS- never carried me gaijin card jogging...

zwelgen - yes, thats right.

So I would explain that to them politely, not shouting my head off, and hopefully they would understand and maybe even apologise - and the whole thing could be settles with an understanding and no reputations burnt. There is no need to explode every time something like this happens, much better ways to deal with it.

Big Will, I mean me would not be polite. I also wouldnt be telling them to F-off either. When the police are wrong they need to be told. Im not going to sumimasen the police just so they can sumimasen back. There are so many other things these guys and girls should be doing.

Cracking down on the perverts walking around at night. Making sure places are well lite if they arent, then reporting it. Cars blowing threw reds at red lights. Cars passing stopped cars to go through red lights. The koban no longer works in Japan.

Orange is the jogging still going well apart from that incident?

Maybe you'd acidentally exposed yourself whilst running and didn't even known about it! You know, 5 year old jogging shorts with a worn inner lining can sometimes cause unexpected moments of exposure... :p

No serioulsy I think that sucks, but I've been warned about that kind of discrimination by people out here.

I will not say sorry unless i have done something wrong. In this case I dont believe there was a wrong done. Why should I waste my time on lazy policemen (there are mostly men). No way! The cops here suck the hind tit. They are lazy and nothing.