Space travel - what is the point?

OK I'm hearing about this Chinese rocket going up an'all, but - you know, WHAT IS THE POINT? Apart from the masturbatory reasons for wanting to get compatriots in space (yeah, right), what seriously is the point of this? And how can it still be justified when there are so many problems and so many people not even being able to have food and water back on earth.

Not fantastic.

\:o

To prove a point to the Americans and the rest of the world, that China is a country of capability.

The advancement of human technology.

To give one lucky guy the ride of his life.

To provide a focus for all the egg head mega brains in China.

To build a giant phallic symbol!

To suggest that any 'pre-emtive' strike on China would be foolish.

fan-daby-dosy

because its the natural course of human nature! its called pushing yourself, trying to find out how far one can really go!

im all for it, whether it b man or robotic, were designed to explore!

In most cases these are stunts pulled for political purposes, to frighten other countries or to distract the plebs at home.

They're a disgraceful waste of time, money and resources.

Exploration and research can be pursued far more efficiently and valuably on earth.

dont get me wrong, im all for eliminating starvation and disease as well as many other things that equally need the funds but just dont get them.

however, space exploration isnt the only sector that 'wastes money'. i think that there are bigger fish to fry than NASA or any other space exploration team.

and besides, its really interesting! check out this site www.nasa.gov !!! its all a good read! did u know that theyve discovered two new moons around ur anus!!! ;\)

I may be asking for it but:

Quote:
Exploration and research can be pursued far more efficiently and valuably on earth.
On what evidence do you base this statement. As far as I know Global Positioning System is only available via space exploration, and China is attempting to acquire its own GPS.

Thanks to space exploration we can see billions of light years into the past, which benefits no end of areas of study such as Astronomy, Chemistry, Physics etc etc.

If you can't get people into space safely, who maintains satellites etc.

I totally agree on the political aspects of the argument, but to see only those aspects, hints at a cynical attitude.

well put mr. matthews.

and i ask you, where would we be without GPS. ill tell you! we'd be driving around nagano trying to frigging find the ski-jo cause we canny find it cause theres no GPS installed in the frigging car.

i dont wanna think about the consequences of that one!!!

Having devoted years of my life to the study of GPS I can assure you its more usefull than carnabi. While it has cost billions to set up it will also save billions. I Might add it cost the US tax payer billions and will save everyone elce the money. Thank you USA.

Do you like getting a good weather forecast, talking to your mum on the other side of the world or watching live tv.

What about monitering climate change, sea level, tectonic plate movement.

I enjoy not doing star/sun obs (and associated calculations) when I need a bearing and im at the end of a vally with no survey marks in it. I also like it when they keep track of planes as they fly around the world out of reach of local radar. Militaristic voyers like peeping at North Korea to see what they are up to. I would say alot of these advances are well worth it (and even profitable).

I've never used anything but map and compass when BC...

As for GPS, what has that to do with men in space. Most satelites are unmanned missions, cheap, efficient, with no risk to human life.

China's man in space was pure ego.

Just think if all the billions spent yearly world wide on getting a selfish buzz by sliding down slopes was spent on alleviating poverty what a better place it would be for the majority.

Leave the rockets and HALT SKI/BOARD DEVELOPMENT NOW. clap.gif

Interesting article in the paper the other day pointing out that china gets billions of $ in aid from the rest of the world coz its such a poor country struggling to develop. Just wait for the squeals from Beijing if anyone tries to cut off the money flow now that China has joined the space club. The Chinese foriegn policy is so beligerent it really doesn't speak well for regional stability during the next 50 yrs.

Oh, and if you're wondering about the purpose of the chinese space programme (which is run by the military), try to pick the different between a Chinese ICBM and a manned obital rocket!