They're 'forget the year' parties, the equivalent of office christmas parties. People in certain professions or situations often end up being required to go to lots of them.

They used to make me so unhappy. Having to pay through the nose to eat crap food and drink Asahi Super Dry and methylated sake, listen to arseholes make speeches full of patent untruths, and play puerile games while people make fake whoopee all around. It's hard to say which is worse, the boorish 'nome nome' behaviour of the men, or the indiscriminate flirting of the women (including jolly face-slapping for everybody from one revolting old harpy at a particularly bad school bonenkai that I went to). Yuck.

Does anybody like them? I made some bad blood at one company by refusing to go. Instead I went out for a drink with the middle-aged accounting lady who had been insulted by being called 'baba' at the last year's bash and was also refusing to go. Many of my colleagues came up and said forlornly "I wish I could get away with not going."

Now I don't go to any. Good.

It sounds like quite an experience!

Quote:
They used to make me so unhappy. Having to pay through the nose to eat crap food and drink Asahi Super Dry and methylated sake, listen to arseholes make speeches full of patent untruths, and play puerile games while people make fake whoopee all around. It's hard to say which is worse, the boorish 'nome nome' behaviour of the men, or the indiscriminate flirting of the women (including jolly face-slapping for everybody from one revolting old harpy at a particularly bad school bonenkai that I went to). Yuck.
Please tell me more about the "speeches full of patent untruths"?! and the indiscriminate flirting of the women!!

\:D

The dreaded bonenkai.

Then there's the new year parties as well. What are they called "shinnenkai"?? Its ridiculous. Exactly the same groups of people having 2 parties about 2-3 weeks apart from each other just because they're supposed to.

Shinnenkai are the pits. At least with bonenkai, its festive season and the end of the year blah blah. But with shinnenkai, its just like "what is the purpose of this"? Oh yeah, right, to "get together so we can start the year working together well and forming human relationships" eek.gif

at last years bonenkai, we went to a little karaoke/whiskey bar for the nijikai. it was a tiny place and there were just a couple of salarymen there singing when we arrived. they were so excited to see a foreigner, they started clapping. i really dont like karaoke with my coworkers- its just not fun to sing the same english songs (top of the world, country roads, some other oldies) and to listen to j ones i dont know. but that time really sucked bc i had to sing a duet with one of these sleazy salarymen who had his hand slipping down my back the whole time. then i missed the last train to zwelgens where i was staying. thanks again barok for letting me crash at yours... i dont know what else i would have done.

You want to get as far away from those people as possibe.

My main bonenkai is Friday.

Then the shinnenkai is on Jan 4th. I'm going to miss that one. I think I'll be feeling ill that day.

Has the main one last night. It was fun actually, especially since there was a huge amount of beer going nomihodai. I managed to keep away from the idiot older guys who I have to work with too and spent quite a bit of time with the younger female type. I think one of them really likes me too - always a bonus. So I like bonenkais today cool.gif

> I think one of them really likes me too - always a bonus

Have to disagree with the latter part.

At one company I worked with there was a really sexy, flirty girl who was always giggling at my jokes, pawing me, and generally being a prick-tease. At the bonerenkais she would always sit next to me and pull the same tricks, only more so because of the booze. Being a lover of logic, I would have dearly loved to have taken it to its logical conclusion, apart from the fact that both she and I were married.

So this was just one more reason not to go to the bonenkai - and I always wondered what the point of all that intense flirtation really was. \:\(

But nagpants, I bet you're looking forward to the shinnenkai all the more eh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
> I Have to disagree with the latter part.

At one company I worked with there was a really sexy, flirty girl who was always giggling at my jokes
Sounds like a very polite young lady.... \:D