Do you buy your MP3s online now?

I'm sure nobody steals music online anymore, so who is using which online music distribution outlet these days?

How d'you rate them? How much do you spend a month? Do they have what you want to listen to?

Occasionally I look to see if i-Toons has what I'm looking for - they never do. I also think that being overcharged for online music isn't a great deal more advantageous than being overcharged for offline music, so I'm not greatly tempted myself. But I'd like to hear about other folk's experiences.

I dont buy music online...I am not willing to pay for music that is in a format that is not what the artist intended (mp3 are lossy....)

I would consider paying for online music if they could be bought in lossless format (.flac, .shn, etc)....

much of my digital audio comes from sites that promote show trading (from bands that permit such activities, and there are many)....I also have a huge cd collection that I have been slowly moving to my pc...

and lets not forget file-sharing...still kickin

danz

I used to download a few songs a week from Kazaa, and if it turned out I liked the band, I'd go buy the CD. I'll admit, I downloaded a few whole albums in my time, but haven't done it for awhile.

I just got a new computer recently and downloaded some stuff from Kazaa the first few days I had it. I started having all kinds of problems immediately. Finally did a spybot search and a norton scan and found all kinds of spyware and even a trojan on my computer. I'll never use Kazaa again. Bummer too - it was a great way to find music that fit in with some of the vids I was making.

I haven't explored the buying online option yet. I'm still working on cleaning things up on my computer right now. I don't know if I ever will buy songs online though. I'll check it out and see what I think. If I ever did, it would be to buy old songs for specific purposes. I doubt I'd ever use it to search for new stuff (unless the previews for songs is good enough)

Kazaa Lite - do you have to pay for it? Any problems with spyware with it? Just curious.

Just interested in this - if you can download songs from free, you pirates you ;\) , why and when do you decide to spend a bit of money instead of just taking for free? What makes you make the credit card move??

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of a response here, hey? I wonder if that means that people do not buy or not?

I can't see many people who have previously downloaded for nothing suddenly deciding to pay for downloads when the old non-pay ones are still there. Can you?

id rather just go out and buy the album confused.gif

if they are saying a whole downloaded album is going to cost 10 bucks or so you might aswell just pay a few extra bucks and get the cd.

maybe thats just because cds are fairly cheap here.

anyway, im still downloading songs here and there for free. i couldnt bring all my cds to uni so im mostly downloading stuff i already own.

havent bought a CD in years, I really, I mean really regret all the CDs I bought in College, what an absolute waste of money in hindsight.

Could have bought a bike, or a nicer car, maybe an overseas trip, a nice Kayak... with all the loot I blew on on CDS that are now (70% of them) gathering dust.

• 1 year later...

*bump*

didnt wanna start a new thread so this seemed decent enough to use.

Just wanted to say how sweet it is when you can download 2 live concerts at about a gig each overnight, come to work, change them from Flac to Wav and then burn em and have 6 new CDs of your favorite music for free cool.gif

Internet and bands that allow taping kick @ss \:D

Yama,

Feel like Im speaking to myself lol.gif The bands I listen to allow tapers to record shows onto DATs and the like to be put out over the net. The music that I get isnt MP3, its either Flac or Shn, which is a lossless program which both keeps the consistancy of digital quality so no matter how many people the shows get passed onto the sound quality never decreases, and they are compressed as well to make smaller files. You end up changing them to Wav to listen to them/burn them to CD.

You could check here:

www.etree.org

http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=SoftwareYouNeed

http://db.etree.org/etree_shnlist.php

Best thing is its free. I buy all the CDs my favorite bands put out and dont hesitate to do so even if I already have that show burned - my way of saying thanks for allowing the live shows to be taped cool.gif

I agree, MP3 quality sucks.

I download some stuff but I find the process of actually finding good stuff painful. And can't find that much that interests me to be honest. There have been some good finds, but...