• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are the referees such a bunch of clowns?

The England/Portugal referee looked like some cheap Russian movie villain who dubs himself 'the wolfman'

and the ref in the next game, france vs greece looked like some bad extra from Miami Vice, with his atrocious blond mullet, hairy chest and gold chain.

lol.gif lol.gif

I thought the same.

You can tell Becks is thinking about pork pies with a side order of pork scratchings in that pic above hey?

Bet you're glad about that.

I wish van Niselrooy would do the same. If Rooney comes, we want him to team up, not replace van-chan.

Quote:
"hundreds of emails and at least a thousand phone calls" from England fans, he told the Swiss newspaper Blick. As well as the f-word, "they usually also mention cuckoo clocks and cheese", he complained.
It's really terrible of the england "fans" but I did have to laugh about that one. I can only imagine some of the freshly minted sayings going on there.

I think it's really irresponsible of the English press to advertise his personal details or encourage people to contact him at home like that.

Surely that is more damaging to the English football reputation then 'hooligans'. I mean, if England were to be denied entry to a major tourament because of the lack of maturity shown in some quarters of their press.....I know there is no talk of anything like that happening (yet), but.........

BTW, not having seen this 'no-goal', I thought the general reaction here was that the ref got it right. Did he, or didn't he........??????

Who would have thought Portugal vs Greece final.

You'd think surely Portugal would win, but then again Greece got to the final!!

I'll be watching that tonight.

Good to see Van Nistelrooy and Ronaldo looking matey at the end of the Portugal / Holland game. Ronaldo is going to be brilliant this coming season, and with van N not moving - oh, can't wait for the new season to get going.

I had a drink with a very happy Greek bloke last night. Animated he was.

Where does this idea of 'deserving' come from? Is there some morality of football - the game is just so easy to understand that clear moral judgements can, and should, be applied? It reminds me a bit of the bloke at uni that I beat at chess everytime. He was in the habit of claiming that he had played a better, more noble game than me, and had scored a 'moral victory'.

Is it naiive to wish that some of the moral perspicuity lavished on football games and tournaments were occasionally focused on international relations that count? I suppose it is...

I've watched many a game where the other team played shite, got on the end of a lucky (bad) decision by a ref and won the game. They didn't deserve to - anyone watching the game thought the saem.

Fair enough - in that case you might say that the team didn't deserve to win. But it's not being used in that way. It's frequently used affirmatively as though football were fraught with tests of moral worth and the undeserving come out on top so frequently that when an underdog team does well, it's necessary to point out that they are deserving, as if it were more likely that they are not.

I think it's a bit odd, that's all.

Personally I find it more satisfying to make a rough judgement whether a given player earned his salary or not.

Based on salary?!

In that case NONE of them (in the higher leagues at least) will have earned that!! As I'm sure you well know.

So Greece won.

That was unexpected.

It would have been nice to have put a bet on that pre-tournament.

Imagine if you'd put 100 on that. eek.gif Not that you would have of course!! lol.gif

Enjoyed it on the whole. Would have liked to have seen a better effort by our lads.

Oh well. Premiership starts in just over a month.

clap.gif

And the Mirrors awards:

----------------

BEST MATCH: Holland 2 Czech Republic 3.

BEST GOAL: Maniche for Portugal against Holland.

BEST IMPROVISATION: Zlatan Ibrahimovic's back-heel for Sweden against Italy.

BEST SAVE: Dane Thomas Sorensen's double stop against Italy.

WORST GOALKEEPING ERROR: Sorensen against Sweden.

BEST PENALTY: Helder Postiga against England.

WORST PENALTY: David Beckham v Portugal; Runner-up: Beckham v France.

WORST EXCUSE: Eriksson blaming the penalty spot.

BIGGEST SURPRISE: Greece winning the tournament.

MOST PREDICTABLE RESULT: Sweden 2 Denmark 2.

WORST REFEREE: Urs Meier, Portugal v England.

WORST DECISION: Mike Riley refusing Latvia a penalty against Germany.

WORST QUESTION: (to Czech boss Karel Bruckner after semi-final defeat) "Did you think the silver goal was the decisive moment of the match?"

BEST ANSWER: Portugal boss Luis Felipe Scolari, asked if he was lucky with substitutions against England: "Yes, I suppose I was lucky. Like I was lucky with the substitutions when I won the World Cup. And like I was lucky with the substitutions when I won 16 trophies in Brazil. I guess I must be a lucky manager."

BEST STADIUM: Estadio Dragao, Oporto.

WORST STADIUM: Estadio Cidade de Coimbra.

SORE LOSER AWARD: Swiss chief press officer Pierre Benoit: "What the coach didn't say, and should have said, is that there was a foul for England's second goal. Everyone in the stadium saw that, except the referee. And what he also didn't say, and I will, is that it's about time we played 11 against 11, not 10 against 12."

JACQUES COUSTEAU AWARD FOR DIVING: Arjen Robben.

PETER KENYON AWARD FOR TRANSFER FAILURES: Peter Kenyon.

BEST LOOK-ALIKES: Luis Felipe Scolari/Gene Hackman