Not long now.

Bought a Japanese mag on it yesterday, and found out that almost all the games are on the normal Wowow service. (Including all the England games, bobby12) - so no need to be a digital wowow subscriber.

With the normal season coming to an end, hopefully this will be a good tournament.

Bets on the results?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think England will get very far. Some people are saying now to drop Owen for the first game against France and put Rooney in to hold the ball up (better than Owen) - sounds like a decent idea to me.

Nah I think Owen is saving himself for this tournie.

Anyway who else are we gonna play up front?

Rooney is overrated and unproven, and you could argue the same for Alan Smith. Heskey is a proven, but only as a failure.

I reckon it'll be Heskey/Owen up front.

Rooney may not be proven - but give the lad a chance. As you said, Heskey IS proven - to be crap - so why play him?? Owen/Heskey just gives me no confidence or feeling of anticipation.

As an American, I predict that one of the stronger European teams might win the soccer World Cup. There's a team in Italy called Inter Milan I see in the paper sometimes, they might take it all. That is, if they can beat Beckham's Arsenhall...he's a threat they say.

I've not quite figured out the elimination rounds. Shouldn't the aim be NOT to get eliminated? We should be working on figuring out which teams will be IN the Cup, not eliminated from it. M

aybe there could be a Soccer World Series to determine the best teams.

The teams that don't make it could send their best players to make an All-Star Soccer Team that would take on the Cup Champions in a game where everyone, all barriers and all grass was covered head-to-toe in advertisements for cars, soft drinks, ciggies, oil, sporting goods and also financial service products for the personal as well as enterprise markets.

An even more radical proposal, from an American perspective: let the teams in the Cup be from each COUNTRY, not the rich club teams like the NY Wankees of soccer!

\:D

Euro 04 = country teams, every 4 yrs, second only to World Cup // better than World Cup

European Champions Leahue = teams (eg Real Madrid, etc)

Lets not get them mixed up now....

Sheesh, meant to be a troll and a joke, boys! I wanted someone to explode at the idiocy of my post and keep me amused through the end of this blah workday.

I guess either:

(i)

you guys are too serious about your football to have noticed the absolute BS content of the post including "Arsenhall" spelling and the preposterously American concept of a "Soccer World Series", or

(ii)

you [probably correctly] estimated the post to be a fairly indicative representation of the average American's understanding of the sport.

As for this American, I, a Kiwi and a J guy have an inside line on a spot of floor in a German pal's Stuttgart apartment come the Big Event!!

Can't think of a finer venue for it either. Beer, preztels and big strapping Damen!

Hey scouser, I was living in Rome in the summer of 1984 when Liverpool came into town and beat the Italians! For weeks afterward, you could find "Thank you, Liverpool" carved into benches and ancient monuments throughout the city. A very fine time to be in Italy.

....contiuing with the troll, ......perhaps we could get 'Rummy' to come up with a new outline, perhaps something along the lines of the 'New Euro 04'.

Being that 'Old Europe' (France, Germany, etc, I guess this also now includes Spain as well....) wouldn't be concidered for the new tournament, the winner could play a team picked by Bush and Co of eligable players from the rest of the 'free' world.

Of course, Rummy with be the manager of the 'White (house) All Stars'.....(but not the man in charge).

I can see it's got poteintial, however, I wouldn't want to be on the recieving end of Rummy's team's behavour in the change rooms after the game has finished.........ha ha ha

confused.gif

P.S. while talking about Euro 04, it would be nice to actually see England finally win something again on the international scene, but, I'n not sure we are going to see it this time......I think Portugal will give it a good go at home.

With you there scouser. I don't think he'll play them out of position though. But the nation expects. We must reach at least the semis, otherwise there will be TROUBLE.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this:

6月1日(火)

イングランド vs 日本代表 

現地時間20:00キックオフ

テレビ中継 6/2 3:55~6:00 日本テレビ系列(生放送)