Do you remember school holidays?

My sisters kids are already on school hols for something like 7 weeks. Wow, I can hardly even remember having those long summer holidays. I remember lots of doing nothing, cycling, playing cricket, "hanging out", playing footie. Whatever, they used to rock.

And now I'm cooked up at work. With about 12 days off if I'm really lucky.

I know what you mean, my biggest vacation all year was 2 weeks long over xmas visiting family back in Texas. Didnt even feel like a vacation because I was still on a strict time schedule to drive all over the damn state just to see everybody " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

Next time Im staying in one spot and they can all come visit me! mad.gif

Good idea in theory that one!

7 weeks holiday. Just think what you could do there! I remember my school holidays being a mix of family holiday, spending time with friends and hanging out and basically just chilling. (Although I didn't know it was chilling then lol.gif )

I used to love the summer holidays. As you said rach, they went on forever. I had a good bunch of friends so we were always up to something.

After such a long holiday though, going back to school in September is a major drag!

Oooh I used to love the long school hols as well. How weird was it when you when back to school again, I remember I had to think how to write for about the first half hour.

Actually I will have that feeling again as I am changing jobs at the end of september, and because I am getting married in early Jan, and the job is in America, I have arranged to start the new job in the middle of February, so more than THREE months off for me! clap.gif

huge trip through S.E asia, surf trips in Indo, and visit all my mates back home. I am really stoked!!!!

I love summer holidays clap.gif

Both my parents are teachers as well so we were able to take great family vacations all throughout my childhood. That is a big reason for me wanting to become a real teacher when I go home. Will be able to jet down to South America for a summer ski session or go out into the mountains for weeks at a time. I can't wait.

I wish I could go back and re-do them - I really missed out on a lot. I remember getting bored in school holidays. I only came out of my shell, so to speak at college.

Try this on for classic Captain Grumble Guts \:\)

School holidays were crummy, no great memories for me besides some pretty decent overseas adventures. The problem with school holidays is exactly that: you are a child at school. At that age one had no cash and no autonomy or real freedom. Childhood in general was an overrated waste of time. Being a child meant living the life of a child and I resented that my entire childhood.

Human beings take a ludicrous amount of time to become useful and independent individuals. By the time you reach a stage where you are capable and cashed up, your life is 1/3rd finished. Screw that. Why can’t we be like other animals and be hunting our own food in our 4th year of life? By the age of 13 I had fully sussed out what I wanted to make of my life yet I was stuck running my useless pre-pubescent body around in mud on my school holidays. Every year was a grind as ‘real life’ was still at least 6 years out of reach. In the meantime I had to endure ill-equipped parents and teachers who had no ambition or role model qualities (seriously, how can a public servant low income teacher ever serve as a role model for aspiring young people? I used to tell my self that education and ambition was important as without it I would end up as a teacher. I had no respect for my teachers).

Life only starts at about 19 years of age (albeit with limited money), once parental dependency and secondary education is over.

(Yes, this is a rant, but it should be noted that the day I turned 18 I demanded to move out of home or start paying rent to my parents, plus I demanded to be removed from all health insurance policies. In return I demanded that I be treated like an independent human, not someone’s 18 year old son. I really hated being a dependent child).

Ahhhhhh. That was a fresh start to the morning. Please consume with a pinch of salt ;\)

I had ace summer holidays, especially when I was 16 and with (codename) "Lisa". Oh those were great times, they seemed to go on for ages, longer than Lisas legs even. Aaaahhh.

I must now logoff and remember those times more vividly.

\:D

How come kids here seem to go to school all through summer? wakaranai.gif

I used to be off on 3 week vacations with my family in the summer holidays which was amazing, went to some great places. Good memories.

Well unlike captain grumble guts up there my school holidays were excellent, every day down at the beach as little grommies trying to get waves or tune the hottie chicks. Great camping trips with the family, surf trips with my dad and friends up the east coast, backyard cricket, day/night matches on the telly, great BBQs with huge ****-off steaks........all excellent.

Woy woy, the job is at Duke Univeristy in North Carolina. I am starting up a small research lab there studying plant hormones/plant molecular biology. It is going to be weird living in America