Do any of you (us) folk here have a garden here in Japan? You know, flowers, trees, shrubs - hell, maybe even grass (although probably not).

(Come to think of it, how come there's almost no grass in Japan!!?)

I wish I had a garden. A friend of mine up in Shibata has a small garden but he does nothing for it - what a waste. \:\(

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a small garden. Grass is growing well. Still don't use it that much because I am usually at the beach on weekends, and its too hot in summer. Lately I have been hanging the hammok out there now that it's cooler.

have a large balcony decked out 'Japanese' style, w/ white gravel, granite stepping stones and some wooden patio furniture.

had great hopes for it, but in reality, strolling on to it is quite the expedition. One has to get the citronella going fifteen minutes ahead of time, and mozzy repellent still needs to be applied to extremities. A two week window in spring and fall allows for it to be enjoyed.

Still, it adds to the view from inside the apartment. Wish we had a real garden/yard though.

Ive got a pretty big balcony too but all I got on it is my laundry hanging and all my recycle stuff out there - really am looking forward to getting some chairs and a table out there to chill out on... guess that will haveta wait for spring, along with me bothering to get some kind of sea of green out there too - looking at cement sucks \:\(

I have another balcony too outside my bedroom but cant really do anything with it but escape from fires and the likes...

I'd just love to have a garden, but it ain't gonna happen here. I'll just enjoy my parents one when I go home that's really big and very pretty.

i would love a garden. I'm currently growing two avacado trees (indoors) and I off and on grow basil (as needed). I really want to get a coriander/cilantro (chinese parsley) plant going. It's so hard to find in stores but so crucial to a good salsa!

Kintaro, how's the avocado doing? Did you grow it from one you ate? Got any pears off it yet? Do tell, I'm thinking of growing one too. They're said to be good for preventing cancer, plus they taste superb.

I'm interested in growing avocado, too! I don't think you can grow it from the one you ate. But if you put avocado tree inside, does it bear fruit?

Yuki, your balcony sounds worthwhile to make more comfortable. Can I help you design your balcony next spring? ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
I'm interested in growing avocado, too! I don't think you can grow it from the one you ate. But if you put avocado tree inside, does it bear fruit?

Yuki, your balcony sounds worthwhile to make more comfortable. Can I help you design your balcony next spring? ;\)
By all means, my place could use a "womans touch" clap.gif

I have a patch of garden, but it's full of mosquitoes and the landlord says we can't put grass down.

So I'm going to get a composting bin and see if I can reduce our rubbish by composting food waste. If the compost works, we should be able to grow something with it. Then when we move house and get some plantable land, I'm going to try the ultimate in composting - the bucket toilet .

maeda.gif

http://home.jps.net/~mimizu/

Ocean,

yes, my avacado seeds came from one's I ate. I took the seeds out, poked a couple holes in them and placed them in a bowl of water deep enough to cover about half the seed. they took a couple of weeks to sprout out the roots and another month before the first leaves came out. I then put them in dirt and watched them grow. They are much to young (about 8 months) to produce anything yet but I did the same thing in hawaii and the tree is still producing lovely avacado's till this day. Give it a try!

I've got a small veggie patch round the back of my place. Oya-san is really good and gave me a bit to grow some things. This year it's been cabbage, daikon, cucumber. Got a good stake on the kaki tree as well \:\)

It's just like The Good Life, although I don't have my own Felicity Kendall (unfortunately).

Got the compost bin in place now, filled with scavenged grasses and leaves. And a couple of pints of urine on top everyday to get it going.

I'm going to ask the owner of the unused plot next to us if I can grow veggies on their land.