I hope you get sorted out soon.

I've really been struck by how people from there smile when they're interviewed in front of their wrecked homes. They're not really happy smiles for sure, but I don't think I'd be able to manage one in the same circumstances.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how are the people that had to have their house ( huge and very new) demolished because it was in the way of the rivers new path eek.gif Man, at least i hear that the govt are going to give them so land somewhere else now.

So how many of you have donated anything?

I am ringing that doreamon number that costs 100yen each time and is very legit. Also am packing up a heap pf baby stuff as I couldn't imagine goign thru that with young ones. Would be difficult indeed.

The last 3 or 4 days there have been about 10-15 aftershocks each day. Most of them have been shindo 1 & 2 in the main Ojiya / Kawaguchi area, but there have been the occasional bigger ones that can be felt as far away as Yuzawa and Gunma.

There was a 5kyo yesterday as you probably saw on the news (3 in Yuzawa), and a 4 (1-2 in Yuzawa) that woke me up this morning at 4am. \:\( We really need them to stop.

I have friends in Nagaoka-shi and they don't have their house now, it is very sad. The daughter has also lost her job as company closed up. They seem to be coping with it as much as they can, but it is terrible and sudden situation for them to face.

Hey sanjo, I finally signed up! wave.gif

I'm the friend sanjo was visiting in Muikamachi when that first quake hit. Intense it was, my apart somehow survived (god knows how) and my sanity is still fairly intact, though I'm not keen on getting woken up by the bastard quakes even now sometimes.

What a few weeks it has been. Being where I am - not too far away from the main area - most of the people I know have been affected by this with either friends or relatives getting their houses destroyed and the like. It's not a happy place right now. As the others have said though, the Shink and transport up to Yuzawa is just fine, its to the north of that area where everything is still a bit of a mess.

It seems to have calmed down further this last few days - about 6 today and yesterday I think... all 1s and 2s in the central area, so I couldn't feel any of them where I am. Fingers crossed it's on it's last breath.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just reading through this thread and it brought back memories of that weekend.

I was on the Shinkansen going to Niigata just about 30 minutes before this happened - in fact felt the earthquake actually happen while I was in Niigata station.

Even more scary is the fact that I was actually planning on getting that actual shink train that was derailed eek.gif eek.gif - and I am sure glad I was able to get an earlier one.

Scary stuff.

Yes that would certainly have been scary. Not sure what is/was the scariest situation to be in when this happens... in your (old) house, on a train, asleep on the 2nd floor, walking about outside....

Thanks! I sure am glad.

What made me get the earlier one? I was just able to get to the station earlier than I thought and the train was there and about to leave so I got thinking it might be nice to get to Niigata earlier than planned. And it sure was!

• 1 month later...

I felt my first earthquake just before.

It was real scary. It was a shindo 3 or 4 where I live, I can't really imagine something that was many times more powerful than that. I can only guess the feeling now.... eek.gif eek.gif and fully sympathise.

Not happy happy.

• 2 weeks later...