Niigata poll - would you cancel your trip or not?

OK out of interest. If you had a ryokan/travel holiday planned for November or even December in Niigata-ken - even places not really affected that much by the earthquake (eg north, Yuzawa, Myoko) - would you cancel or not?

It seems 90% or so of November bookings are history.

I don't think I'd want to be riding in the sorts of places I used to go if there were still 'tremblors' of 4 or 5 going on with a hillside of deep snow behind me. And considering that nobody knows quite when the tremblors are going to stop, I might prefer to go somewhere where they're not happening.

Not really a question of 'imeeji', more a question of whether I'd survive the trip...

I think you missed the point there a little there Ocean11. I think Joshnii was getting at a non skiing sightseeing/onsen/ryokan visit in November.

But you have valid point about being there in say February when the slopes are well loaded with snow and temblors are still occuring. I would give that a miss.

P.s they are called temblors, easily mixed up with tremors, which are basically the same thing.

Not to be confused wth tremblers - one who quakes and trembles with fear (which you would be doing if you were there when it happened) \:D

Oh I see.

Well, not being very fond of earthquakes myself, and not wishing to sit for 3 hours or more on a stalled shinkansen getting to the earthquake zone for my holiday, I might well consider cancelling my trip. If I were heading into an earthquake zone, it would more likely be as a volunteer than a holidaymaker.

I'll still be going. From what I can gather Yuzawa and Myoko have not been affect that much and apart from the main one a few weeks back they have not been getting anything more than 1s and 2s since then. It's to the north where the badly affected area is. And it's going to decrease anyway, not increase.

Yes I was actually meaning November tourism rather than the winter.

I would surely hope that aftershocks have quit by the time next month rolls round. (Today there have been almost none so far, fingers crossed that will continue).

As far as I know - and I have been looking at the quake pages on the web since this all started to keep up to date, places like Nozawa in Nagano and Kitashina/Minakami/etc (Gunma) got pretty much just as much shaken up as Yuzawa did. So I wonder if Nozawa is on peoples blacklist as well......? Or perhaps Nozawa's "not Niigata" status makes people feel better about it all.....

Honestly, for winter I'd probably cancel. But that is more than likely due to the fact that I was here when it happened and I actually experienced it all and thats in my mind right now. I just basically would rather be somewhere else right now.

If I wasn't in my situation.... hmm, November trip - yes I'd cancel. Not sure about winter, I don't think winter would be a problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

not wishing to sit for 3 hours or more on a stalled shinkansen
considering they are still farting around with the derailed shinkansen on the track, I doubt you would even get a chance to sit on the shinkansen at the moment.

"Company officials said it will likely take a considerably long time before services on the line between Nagaoka and Echigo-Yuzawa are resumed,"

that doesnt bode well for the ski season if the punters cant get there to Yuzawa from Tokyo. Could be a very quiet season indeed

20041110p2a00m0dm008000c.jpg
How many helmets in that photo?, all busy and industrious too, I see

I'm not sure which track it was, but there have been at least two occasions where I've seen shinkansens stopped by earthquakes in that area, and when they stop, they don't start for another couple of hours at least.

There's seems to be a big misunderstanding going on here I think.

The Shink from Tokyo to Echigo Yuzawa is running as normal, and has been since soon after the earthquakes to the north.

The part of the Shinkansen that is closed is the from Yuzawa <> Nagaoka - this does not really affect the ski season at all because they get off at Yuzawa.

It will help if people realise that.

Good point sanjo - people who are not familiar with the names of the stations and everything might get the wrong impression. As the man said, the shink is running as normal from Tokyo to Echigo Yuzawa without any problems (and actually also from Nagaoka to Niigata city, but thats not a "ski route").

snowglider - you think 3 or 4 dudes can move a shinkansen the size and weight of them things, along with the chance of aftershocks? I'd say they are doing a fine job.

I'd have to know more about the whole situation. Coming from earthquake-free UK, the thought of the possibility of the ground moving is not an enticing one. We never even gave it a thought before we went to Japan last season, perhaps we should have.

Not stopped but hopefully nearly. Only 2 today supposedly - the least so far, and only a few yesterday as well. They still say though that theres a 30% of so chance of a shindo 5 within the week. Hopefully that is just to cover themselves and the chances of it starting up again are very small.

http://www.jma.go.jp/JMA_HP/jp/quake/quake.91.html

Just the 2 small ones....