I'm getting fed up of being expected to work tons of overtime hours and not getting paid for it. My official hours are 9am-5:30pm, but I usually do at least an hour more than that and often 2. It's getting to be a pain now as it seems to be "expected" and there is apparantly no chance of being paid for it.

Anyone else find themselves in this situation?

me too.

i'm geting paid for it though.

My wife and i are getting so tired of japanese working hours and no holidays that we are planing to leave japan for europe, well we have other reasons too, but the lack of freedom is a major factor.

we have a lot of places around the world we want to visit, but it is just not possible if we live here.

...need freedom

ATB

TP

You should talk to my brother in-law. His working hours are usually 12hrs 5 days a week but he works 7 days a week with no overtime what so ever. wakaranai.gif

It a cruel world (country). Thought this might be a sign, perhaps many of them saw the light and realiseded there is another way.

If peeps have work to do by a deadline and the only way to get it done is overtime, then thats life. If peeps stay after work and just waste their own time, thats their own choice.

I refuse to "act Japanese" by staying at work just because they do; I found/think that Japanese are just horrendous workers. i dont think they understand how to prioritize or work efficiently. I see teachers stading around doing F'uk all and then hear the next morning how he was here to 10:30pm on a Friday night.

I leave early when my work is done and stay late when its not; if I can just make it through until next Thursday then I got a long vacation comin up.

Meat, have you asked your boss or people around why you need to stay that long? Or there are just so many work you have to do?

when I worked for a bank, it was like 7-11. The office regularion was like 8:45-17:30 but it never went like that. When I got in there as a newbie, I kept complaining why I had to stay that late with full of job but no one gave me any clear answers perhaps because that was one reason why I got so stressful being a banker.

Of course I worked hard but anyway could not get out of there on time.

Finally I retired from the bank though and the bank got bankrupted some years ago.

Yes, back home we get in and get out as soon as the shift is over.

My life is me, not my job. The job is just what we do so we can live in the system and buy nice expensive playtime toys (like snowboards)

I've just finished checking time sheets of my team. Some people did more than 120hours overtime because of new project in Feb but they don't apply for overtime allowance.

We are expected and already paid for 45hours overtime every month. But I manage my overtime under 20hours and my boss always tells me I have to work more...

This is very strange system. confused.gif

Sounds like labour exploitation to me. Work more, work harder but we aren't going to pay you! Overtime is cool if you get paid (cash/holidays) but many people don't. It's for the good of the company, sure it is but where is my life going. wakaranai.gif

Slow, what industry are you in?

Since about November last year my workload has increased ALOT and I am at work most days from 930am until 9pm each night. When we have specific deadlines it may be 11pm. It is crazy. I think the workload/worker in this company I work in now is just over the top which leads to people's "overwork". This also leads to people getting sick (influenza at the moment) and then being away from the office for 3 days straight, as is the case with my boss at the moment.

I am getting really sick of having to work these hours just to get everything finished. I dont feel like I am getting everything done how I would like it either but just finishing it as quick as possible. This is not the right way to go about things but I really have no choice at the moment.

Anyone want to find me a new job?

If I did not get paid for overtime, I would just not do it. Maybe a short while if necessary but long-term continuing to do that for long hours? No way. It sre is labour exploitation.

My company is famous for venture company in housing industry. Our president started this business when he was 27years old with other three people. After ten years, number of employees in our company is over 100 and the president is still interested in new business venture. I understood how crazy he was when I went snowboading with him.

I think people can work hard because they enjoy it. I can understand why architects in my office can work so hard. It's so exciting to see the building which they designed was completed. It's their job and life. I'm not a designer and don't need to work too hard like them. I work in ways I like.