Expo 05 (but don't take your food)

Did anyone see that thing on the news last night about them banning people from taking any of their own food or drink into this expo event? It showed you people outside the gates stuffing their food down to avoid throwing it, and then massive queues for every food place inside as everyone had to buy a drink if they wanted one. Seems a bit crappy that.

Has anyone been?

Most big international events are same aren't they??

Though the thought of having to line up (not that I would) for hours just to get in, Line up again to get into the pavilion that you want to see, line up to get food (try telling a 2 year old to wait when they are screaming food food food!) and possibly line up to get home... no thanks

Heck,no. At least I don't like them! That's an awful remembrance for me to be in a line for hours to get in U.S. and U.S.S.R pavilion in expo '70 when I was an elementary school kid. It was in summer break - July or August - so I remember that was too hot to stay in summer sunshine for that long. My parents gave up to stay in the queue coz my younger brothers and I were so young and small. If I remember right, it needed 6-7 hours if it was U.S or U.S.S.R pavilion. I think stones of the moon were displayed there. In '67, Apollo 9th? finally reached the moon then Soyuz (spelling not sure).

Who can join this topic!?!?!? Don't sleep everyone!

I am not interested in the slightest either. I would rather line up at a raamen place any day ... but still it is so true that the Japanese line up for anything! I even saw loads of Japanese in Hawaii lining up for raamen. Nuts!

Hey we have "line up" fever down here in Aichi!

God, when the new airport opened all the people going just to look were creating lines of up to 3 hrs just to eat at some places!

It caused a heap of problems for the travellers and it's still going on.

Then there is pokemon park too, with waits of over 2hrs for a ride????

whats with lines?

Then again, sometimes I think the Jyutai's on the highways are sometimes suss (conspiracy theory??)

I'm going! Some of the tech stuff looks pretty good to me, and if there are some tech people there instead of just girls in bikinis, I'll have a good natter with them and maybe score some work. If its just girls in bikinis, at least I'll get some good photos!

The "no food" thing is a bit crap, but they get away with doing the same thing at Nagoya Dome, supposedly for hygiene purposes. The reason they're giving at the Expo is "terrorism", but an irrational fear level about terrorism isn't exactly Aichi ken's making. We all know who is to blame for that.

The main problem with the Expo is that its just another showboating exercise financed with non-existent public money, instead of some tangible service (health, education, looking after old folk, renewable energy...) that is not "sexy" but improves peoples' lives. Still, if you're in Japan, you're going to be paying for it whether you go or not. You might as well go and see some unrealistically optimistic version of the future, I reckon. If its a choice between Japanese boffins and Mickey Mouse or some Hollywood blockbuster, I take the former, thank you very much.

Apparently now the deal with food is that if you make it and bring it from home then it's OK. But you cannot bring in bought stuff like bento's etc.

KlingKlang, that Toyota robots performance is the most popular. You better get there (at the gates) at 6am and when you get in you will have to bolt as they only give out limited tickets (according to the news)

Quote:
Originally posted by oblivion:
I think it's outrageous (though I'm not getting too worked up about it ;\) ).

So what other places ban any food and drink being taken in??
I think big events like the olympics etc, but that might just have been no opened bottles to stop you sneaking in your jack D in ya coke!.

So what other places ban any food and drink being taken in?? [/qb]

You can't bring food or drink into any major sporting event, concert, exposition, museum, etc. in the U.S. that I know of.

What's the big deal? Isn't that what the expo is partly for? To expose these people of Nagoya city to things outside of their sacred bento and rice balls?

There certainly would be no problems here if the majority of the patrons weren't so damned cheap.

If the food was free...they'd line up all the way to Nagoya Station.

It might be a pain but it's certainly not the only place that has this policy. If they have changed their minds about letting home-made bentos in, the people selling food there probably won't be too happy about it all.

The problem was ALL food was banned including baby food! baby food! that was the centre of the storm a family had to throw out their baby food before entering, no concessions forc anybody.

Water too, couldnt even take water with you.

I am going to go and smuggle food and water into the park, you just watch me go.

The excuse they gave of fear of poisoning - what kind of crap is that? It's got nothing to do with that, everything to do with money. I bet mummys bento is better prepared than many fast food joints they have in there. and the rest.

I went, with some of my own food as well \:\) they let me in no problems.

Anyway, it was fairly interesting but as with many of these kind of things I wasn't madly excited about it - and a bit too busy for my liking it might be better to wait a bit until the crowds have died down a bit.

Visited Expo 05 Aichi today.

Unlucky it was cloudy and rainy later \:\(

It's Tuesday today and I hear it's not so crawded there by TV news and others , so I never expected to be in a line but needed it at some pavilions so I just visited less crowded ones.

Australia pavilion

pv_oz_kamonohashi.jpg

Cambodia pavilion

pv_cambodia_spining.jpg

Indonesia pavilion

pv_indonesia01.jpg

Micronesia pavilion

pv_micronesia.jpg

Visited Takayama yesterday on the way to Expo 05 Aichi.

They have some small streets in which traditional old houses at the both sides. Almost same with 20+ years ago when I visited there last. People must work to maintain them.

Old streets

path02.jpg

Things I bought in Expo 05 pavilions.

Cambodia silk

cambodiasilk.jpg

Vietnam silk

vietnamsilk.jpg

wakaran - no, didn't see the manmoth. Needed to be in a long line and it rained heavy so I gave up.

sakebomb - lol too huge to have it!!

When I bought something there, some staffs neither spoke Japanese nor English but I don't speak other languages i.e. Vietnamese, Thai, so kinda got lost which was also enjoyable in some meanings.