• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I got it wrong yesterday. I hadn't realised that the system was Pacific, rather than Japan Sea. We've had plenty of weather since then but of the wrong sort, warm and wet. We have high winds and lots of local flooding. The rivers here are all in spate, the highest I've seen them in 3 years. The Mogami is close to bank full in places. A combination of rain, and I guess snowmelt.

Here the Mogami is into the rice fields.

soubriquet_115.jpg

This is the weir on one of the Mogami tributaries near me. Normally clear and sleepy.

soubriquet_116.jpg

Snow forecast for tomorrow though.

We should stick a number on that low pressure system and call it a typhoon. What season are we suppose to be in right now??? Anyway, apparently the weather is going to swing dramatically over the next 24 hours. Hang on tight.

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ OZ:
Puking down here in Hakuba. A full cover of white overnight and it looks like it is going to continue throughout the day. Thanks for the sacrifices guys.
Its still dumping right now. Good wet snow here so hopefully pack down the sasa and cover up the rocks. Looks like it might continue for a while...just trying to get over my cold today and hopefully eat some pow with FT, Barok, Bushy and a few others. Dizzy, you headin up today?

Well, we got out for about 3 hours. No2 was pretty cold and miserable at the start, but I had some footwarmers. Eventually he cheered up, and I got him up the quads, and onto some red runs. By the end of the session he was whooping down the mountain.

Lovely conditions, fresh snow over a firm base, and cloud giving way to sun. The first lift queues I've experienced in Japan, 2 minutes max.

This is from the top of the east quad. Some interesting lines on the mountain behind.

soubriquet_117.jpg

This is the red run that No2 mastered.

soubriquet_118.jpg