Good Honest Grub eh? The OZ hang-out. I like their eggs benedict. I find it not on the cheap side as well given the ingredients. Last time I went there, it got busy after a while and they started snatching people's fruit smoothies even before they were empty (and these are not cheap)to entice people to leave earlier. Mine was almost half full and it dissapeared without even anybody at the table noticing. When they tried that with another person at the table we told them to get lost and we complained to the manager. They offered to make new ones for us which was fair enough but we all decided it was a matter of principle. So we told them no politely, paid and left. None of us has ever been back there again and never will. I vote with my feet and my wallet. It is too bad that the lure of extra profits can lead people to poor behaviors. Story of the world I guess, too bad it has to be observed at the local eatery level. Anyway, hope you had a good munch BP.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't know who did that to you, maybe some new staff person, that's unusal. That place is one of my favourite restaurants, and the people there have always looked after me. When I used to work near the old Ebisu place I"d phone and order dinner so it was ready when I got there and the African chef would always do me some special fish dish. The owner is Canadian (never heard it was an Oz hangout actually), the food is great, I can get genmai there, and he's offered to sell my CD in there and refuses to take a commission, because he supports local musicians and they like the music (and yes sure, I'm a regular customer, but still, I find that generous, even if sometimes I don't get there for months at a time).

You're the first person I ever heard of who's had a complaint. Everyone I've taken there loves the place. However, that being said, I only did brunch once - I'm not really into western breakfasts, and I didn't find it all that good. The regular meals are great. Sometimes they get a coupla strange staff there, but they usually don't last long, maybe you got someone like that.

I find it's not super cheap but you can eat cheaply there if you want, but it's also not super expensive. You should come there with us some time, you'll have a great time!

Alright, here goes.

Yesterday was Tateyama residents day so we got 30% off tickets. With a deal like that my wife and I couldn't say no, and we spent Friday night looking for all our snow gear. As expected we couldn't find some stuff, notably my hiking boots. I thought I'd be ok in a comfortable pair of skate shoes. We could see snow on the peaks from our house but we weren't sure how much there would be or even if we would go for the summit.

So we rolled up at 8am and it wasn't the huge crowds we were expecting. I think that the ojiichans and obaachans had probably gone up way earlier. We got to Murodo and took our time eating lunch and lining up with the throngs for the mandatory picture in front of the big rock that says 'Tateyama'. It wasn't too cold except when the wind blew hard.

kumapix_56.jpg

Eventually we headed up and had no real problems with the snow. I slipped a bit but my wife and I had a hiking pole each so we were able to tackle the first part pretty easily. I think we reached ichinokoshi sanso (2700m)in an hour.

kumapix_63.jpg

After more food & a rest we felt good and headed for the top of Oyama. There was a helicopter flying around and we heard from people descending that a guy had slipped on a ridge at the top and had slid 300m. He hit some rocks and was bleeding from the head. He was flown to the hospital and has extensive injuries. We were a bit worried but figured that if it got bad we would trun around.

kumapix_57.jpg

Going up was a mix of the usual rock scrambling with patches of snow. There were tracks in the snow but it was still slippery.

I don't recommend climbing in skate shoes with no tread.

kumapix_59.jpg

It took 50minutes to get to the top. Since it was around 2pm we did it japanese style: took a couple of photos and headed back down. The last bus was at 5 (I think) and we were worried about the way down. There was a bout 20cm of snow at the top.

This is the view looking down from Oyama jinja

kumapix_58.jpg

on the way down i saw this chute and I thought of Toque.

kumapix_60.jpg

It took 70mins to get down. I did slip 3 or 4 times but luckily I was still holding on to rocks. There was still old japanese guy that passed us who was so crazy. He was coming down so fast, just jumping around everywhere. He had no pack, just a camera which he was holding with one hand. He nearly lost his balance a couple of times but just held on somehow. When we got down to the 2700m station he was relaxing having a smoke...

After that, getting down to Murodo was a cinch. The snow was now real soft and it was possible to 'ski' down. We found a steep slope and had a couple of runs lol.gif

kumapix_61.jpg

Skis are for pussies! All you need are skate shoes thumbsup.gif

This was the funnest part of the day. After that while we were running/skiing down the path, we came across this raicho:

kumapix_62.jpg

My wife said that it was a lucky omen to see one, so it was a good end to the hike.

After that, we went down to a big hotel up past the Raicho Valley ski resort and had an amazing onsen. This place was all new and had 6 different onsen types plus a rotenburo. It was awesome.

Very nice pics Kuma. 1st SJ dude on the snow this season. Not sure what skate shoes look like but sounds slippery. Good to hear there's a hotel down the valley with Onsen, may be able to leave wife + kid there. Would you happen to remember the name by any chance? thanks.

that hotel is called kousei nenkin. I'll post the phone number later on. It's got lots of activities from what I saw: basketball, ping pong, badminton, beach ball but they all cost money thumbsdown.gif

700yen for the higaeri onsen

hey, good to see kuma's noggin in a shot. Were you lying about the modelling? ;-0

Skate shoes - amazingly useless shoes for anything but skating.

Its exciting that you have been up there, well done and thanks for the pics.

I did say a prayer for a good winter at one of the little shrines halfway up, so don't worry guys, it's going to be a good one thumbsup.gif

actually I should consult my I Jing (ancient chinese fortune telling). Last year when I asked it about the winter, it said that it would be very good with lots of snow...and it was!

great to hear, thx for the report!!

that's too bad hearing about the guy's injury. unfortunately, i know about almost sliding into a cliff. but that's ok, AK didn't "see" me falling, so i could just lie and say it never happened.

come november, you're coming, right, kuma...?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
on the way down i saw this chute and I thought of Toque.
kumapix_60.jpg
Ahh
Isn't that nice
Good eyes to pick that one out

I just got back from a trip in the mountains. Snowed all night but was toasty in the tent.
Kuma opened up the season in Japan for SJ
I opened the season in Canada for SJ back in the middle of September