• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:

27cms isn't enough to ski on but it's enough to get up there and at least walk around or climb something big
thats a decent mid year base in Oz !
 Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
Country life has many benefits. Home grown is one of them, along with someone warm to hold on cold nights. Hong Kong has nothing to offer that can`t be found here.
Fats apologies for off topicking.

what has Hong Kong got to do with this thread? All I said was what I consider personally to be the reason for waking. Expressing for me, myself, not anyone else here. So what has Honbg Kong got to do with this thread?
 Quote:
27cms isn't enough to ski on...
lol in scotland when there's a 15cm base it's like waaaayhaaay, get the skis on the roof we're driving up north - seriously you'd think i'd be trained up to deal with dodging rocks coming from there, but ehhhh it seems not...

anyway, yes it's not enough to ski on, unless you live in scotland and that's ALL there is to ski on

Thurs - are you Markie's boyfriend? Does he call you Boy Thursday when you wake up in the morning? Do all overpaid and pretentious Hong Kong girls hitch their skirts up, pull the g-string to the side and piss on the footpath when visiting London?

I like Grandma Kuma's snow reports. She is accurate. Most would have rounded 27 up to 30cm. Lets keeping up her reports all season.

you also have to remember that in low lying areas (scotland, oz, eatern canada) the slopes are manicured to perfection in the summer so that the minimal amount will cover everything. in the snowy places they just cut or clear out the biggest stuff so you still need a meter and a half before the debris stops poking out.

Quote:
I hope that somebody is serious enough to at least get up there and check it out
kuma, you're the closest! any chance you'll be up there in the near future?

Calm down Sock, I purposely king-hit myself before I had even finished my post (by saying I had not even been to Canada, so why would I hate eastern Canada?)

Bushpig - you've lost me there. Have I annoyed you as well?

Quote:
Originally posted by sock_monkey:
you also have to remember that in low lying areas (scotland, oz, eatern canada) the slopes are manicured to perfection in the summer so that the minimal amount will cover everything. in the snowy places they just cut or clear out the biggest stuff so you still need a meter and a half before the debris stops poking out.
hahaha have you ever been on a scottish hillside? manicured is not really the word i'd use lol. even better have you ever tried skiing down a scottish hillside - it's an interesting ride. but you usually can't see the rocks and bushes you are hitting because it's a whiteout with a 100mph wind - always good for a laugh.

These were links posted by Montoya last year in the First Snow post.

Not all Tateyama, but still interesting:

Yarigatake

http://www.mcci.or.jp/www/yarigatake/live.htm

yari_0000000001.jpg

mi_00001.jpg

Kamikochi Valley

http://www.shinshu-online.ne.jp/livecam/kamikochi/

day-

Karasawa

10/10 10 cm

DSC_00141.jpg

10/8

ahhh just me and the mountain and a couple hundred other peeps in multi-colored tents

IMG_34811.jpg

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
Bushpig - you've lost me there. Have I annoyed you as well?
 Quote:
Originally posted by sunrise:
lol.gif
No spud, not at all. Sunrise, Sock Monkey, BPG and myself were discussing the waord "date" the other night when I was up in Tokyo, and neither Sunrise or Sock Monkey knew of the usage that I was saying. Sunrise was wondering if it was a WA thing or even just a usage specific to my mates. Which is why I asked. So what do you think when you hear the word "date"? Give me all the meanings you can?

Date:

1. Where Griller should have put it if he didn't want all those baby troubles.

2. A really nice dried fruit. Has laxative effects if eaten in excess.

3. A dinner appointment with a girl that might cost you some money but will give you the chance to visit 1, so long as she has not eaten too many of 2.

I think that the best post I have ever made.

Quote:
Originally posted by SerreChe:
These were links posted by Montoya last year in the First Snow post.
Not all Tateyama, but still interesting:

Karasawa
10/10 10 cm
DSC_00141.jpg
10/8
ahhh just me and the mountain and a couple hundred other peeps in multi-colored tents
IMG_34811.jpg
Nice
I love that first one. Amazing what snow will stick to and is skiable come spring

I've been into that valley with a load more tents than that and I've also been in there with only 2 or 3 tents. Popular place and it's even better because you have to put some effort to getting there unlike many other places in Japan

Toque by the way, when I said "me and the mountain" it was meant in general, I did not go there, just picked those pics on the web. I am still amazed at the number of tents, even more amazed that you can get loads more. How long does it take to get there? With all these people around, is the place a poop minefield? Otherwise I agree, nice to see snow that sticks around and is skiable year round.

What is going to be your first BC hiking/skiing trip of the season?