• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fatts - That was a good hakkuba clip. Riding nice terrain with even more I-wanit-so-bad terrain in the back ground. I think I saw the Sock Monkey line, or just near it (the Beanie pair of couloirs)

yeah ive seen that guy around too. there are a bunch of guys pushing lines when i wouldnt go. you get jealous after you hear about it but im a chicken for a huge slide. This season im gonna dig more pits and try to get out there more in mid winter.

I am not trying to stir the shit but do you Hakuba-ites ever get sick of the same debate? I dont think I have ever pushed any mountain over another......well maybe thredbo over perisher but I digress. Chop has a point, no one is pushing Niseko down your throat but year after year your Niseko anti-passion never wanes. Tell me.....what keeps the fire so strong.

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
...perhaps give up a few good old honest photographs of what paying visitors could expect to see as they approached the hill on the bus from Sapporo.
Boy Thursday posted this good link in another thread and it is a nice example of what many johnny come lately gold rush Niseko money makers don't do. A panoramic photo and a piste map to relate to it along with useful terrain info about the pistes. It isn't the entire 'Niseko' area. But is what's needed.

http://www.princehotels.co.jp/ski/niseko_e/index.html

It is honest and helpful to show this info.

On the flip side, it is cheesy and reeks of promotional superficiality to have more links to money making schemes than useful info. And daily kids-tv style snow reports delivered by some fluff with a contrived pseudo-reporters twang doesn't qualify as useful info, although on the surface I'm sure people buy into it as a valuable stuff.

Closing comment: the photo of Niseko from that angle shows just how gentle and terrain is and how modest the 'mountain' is.

Its not just the hakuba peeps there are other types that are just as into the hype the other way.

No pre or post season i love this debate really. Ill put my best run at any area here up to any best run in Niseko. Even little Iwatake has better terrain for experts.

If you want to ski a pimple with snow and get drunk then heck Niseko is the bomb. If you wanna play with the big boys and actually see a mountain then come to the north alps.

Mate, totally fair point and it was certainly good enough for me for two seasons. I have said it myself, along with "if you cant have fun at Niseko then there is something wrong with you".

But that doesn't change the fact that it is objectively a very low gradient hill, which is relevant info in a Niseko vs Hakuba context.

I only highlight an evident commercial aversion to showing panoramic pictures of the terrain to highlight the fact that it is clearly NOT the selling point for Niseko and that's the key word: selling.

If you want to ski a pimple with snow and get drunk"

lol.gif

After a lot of thought we decided to give Hokkaido a miss again and explore more of Honshu. Perhaps next time the lure of Niseko will be too strong. With all the talk of it, I really do want to check it out sometime.

Mantas, I'm not going to take your bait man. Go there and have fun. I've got a pretty good guess of what kind of surfer you are and I respect it. Think of Lennox. Then think of the Pass at Byron. People rip and have fun at both.

If you get in line early bombing down under Center 4 is good fun - everybody on the lifts screaming and going nuts. Good fun. Worth 1 run then rush over and get on 6C and head up and over. Hanazono lifts arent often running as early(from my exp.) so you gotta pick and choose what you want. No tracks on Hana 3 is epic - nice huge meadow. Its even worth hiking up and around the lift to get as far over as possible.

OK. I know there are people who know Niseko better than I do but I'm going to jump in here in defense of Niseko a bit because it's no fun if everyone just rags on it. That's what the Niseko probs thread is for. I'll stick on lots of gremlins for ever-so-subtle subliminal effect. ;\)

Quote:
Boy Thursday posted this good link in another thread and it is a nice example of what many johnny come lately gold rush Niseko money makers don't do. A panoramic photo and a piste map to relate to it along with useful terrain info about the pistes. It isn't the entire 'Niseko' area. But is what's needed.

http://www.princehotels.co.jp/ski/niseko_e/index.html

The higashiyama side is really not that good. :rolleyes: The Hirafu / Hanazono side is better and more varied.

Facing Hirafu, the far left side is pretty good --the high ridge... and liftline and trees around the high speed lift (I think it's the 'Alpine' lift). \:\)

The trees on either side of 'Miharashi' are good. :p

Hanazono is very good. \:D The trees on either side of the top lift (but especially the right side). Strawberries. The other side of the lift from Strawberries. The peak is also very nice. Climb to the top or traverse over to ski the bottom half of it. If you don't mind walking out, bear left as your descending for a fresher longer ride.

There's nothing that will scare eek.gif an experienced rider but there IS some fun terrain and... THE SNOW IS SOOOO LIGHT AND DEEP. SOOO LIGHT AND DEEP. Like --really really LIGHT. ... and DEEP. (I'm being repetitive in the spirit of this thread --"FLAT FLAT FLAT...")

The pimple with snow comment was good. Check this out for future reference.

Good points for sure. If I went to the niseko area I would more than likely want a snowmobile or just to tour.

For mid level riders most people will feel challenged enough, like you have pointed out.

db that video is chessy but it has a decent cameraman at or behind the lens. having a person that knows what they are doing always helps.