• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't expect to get any 'hate mail'. I recieved this from the Marketing Director at an Australian/Niseko commercial tourist concern.

Quote:
Your segment on YouTube for Niseko comes from a total lack of experience where to go, that is why you didn't show any footage of yourself enjoying waist deep powder.

I feel sad that you ventured and came away empty.

My response (I changed his and my name)

Quote:
Bob,

Your point is moot since I don't have any video footage of Niseko or Hakuba in the first place (I assumed you watched both spoof cartoon clips?). Quite simply, you didn't appreciate my b-grade schoolyard joke, which is of course not a fault on your behalf. Niseko has magnificent powder and I hope you and your clients enjoy plenty it this winter. I have several Australian friends asking me about Niseko and I'll be sure to send them your url as a good place to tap into the local terrain experience that you allude to.

All the best to you,

db

ps - I'll never deny that it is every riders dream, but I personally do not pray for waist deep powder as it is rarely suitable (from safety perspective) for the type of terrain I like to ride. Others don't mind it, but my personal risk barometer prefers a more compact and damper snow pack that sticks better to the line of descent. By the way, Niseko doesn't have the type of terrain I'm talking about.

Yes Toque, Titty Bar!

By the way, his website is yet another instance of praising amazing Niseko yet utterly failing to show one solitary photograph of the hill on which the resort sits. Besides the chronic overload of sponsor marketing there is the usual banner image of Mt Yotei across the way, a popular and attractive photo subject, but as we all know, it is not Niseko. There is plenty of close up imagery containing powder shots and turns that could be in Utah or Russia (well actually not Russia because the terrain is way too flat and tracked out). And as far as I could see there is not one panoramic photograph of Niseko itself, save for a few fleeting glimpses of the mole hill peak. That is because, although it has awesome dry powder, Niseko is not an alpine mountain, it is a topographically uninspiring hill and is home to a very limited amount of increasingly crowded unchallenging gentle terrain that could frankly be found anywhere in Japan. Yes, I know I'm repeating myself and I admit that Niseko terrain is what it is, so let it be. My only itch is that squeeky-voiced foreigners who bend themselves in half to make money from the place should perhaps give up a few good old honest photographs of what paying visitors could expect to see as they approached the hill on the bus from Sapporo.

Ok but serously who sends that kind of mail back? They must feel threatened in some way to send that.

Waist deep powder can be had in many places all over the world. Heck why do you think ski bums love weekday sking? Weekday sking is the day to get your tracks. What is your selling point if there is no snow or its a bad year?

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
I didn't expect to get any 'hate mail'. I recieved this from the Marketing Director at an Australian/Niseko commercial tourist concern....

Ha! ha! Nice response one Mr. Marketing Director. Learn that one in the playground, did you?

You can't get the staff these days, I tell you.

>Your segment on YouTube for Niseko comes from a total lack of experience where to go, that is why you didn't show any footage of yourself enjoying waist deep powder.

I feel sad that you ventured and came away empty.

Ummm, the entire mountain is under a blanket of powder. HTF would you NOT know where to go? :rolleyes: Total lack of experience? lol.gif :rolleyes: