• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the sanctioned riding inbounds in both Niseko resort and Hakuba area resorts are limp and uninspiring. Both roughly as bad as each other. Rope ducking is easier in Niseko but not nearly as rewarding as in Hakuba area resorts, which have clearly steeper and longer tree lines that are far less tracked out. The generally reliable opinion is that Niseko gets more very dry powder more often. But that in no way implies that Hakuba area gets infrequent falls of damp powder. Some of the happiest powder lovers in the world live in the Hakuba area (my utterly unproven conjecture). Niseko is far more commoditised than Hakuba, making it a better (more convenient) holiday option for many foreigners. There are plenty of other resort orientated pluses and minuses, for example Niseko is limited in aspect whilst Hakuba area has lots of resorts to choose from. I donmt like resorts in the least, but if I had to choose I would go to Hakuba for the range of options, rather than one smallish resort with other ones sort of nearby. Having said that, if you choose Niseko as a ski holiday resort and fail to have fun then there is seriously something wrong with you.

Here is another way of addressing the question.

In terms of terrain for the adventurous (not everyone's cup of tea). I quote myself from another thread and use the images again.

Ever noticed that the Niseko Hirafu web page http://www.grand-hirafu.jp/en/index.html has a big bold picture of the mountain opposite the resort, but sweet FA of the Niseko peak itself? Even the thumbnail for the trail map is of the small but impressive looking Mt Yotei, rather than the Niseko Hill on which the actual resort trails are groomed. You have to ask why the marketing department is lying?

Terrain for the adventurous: The pictures say it all. In terms of committed alpine adventure, it isn't even a fair comparison. Hakuba has real mountains whilst Niseko does not.

Niseko out of bounds:

Rag-Doll_2.JPG

Hakuba out of bounds:

toque_147.jpg

Quote:
Ever noticed that the Niseko Hirafu web page http://www.grand-hirafu.jp/en/index.html has a big bold picture of the mountain opposite the resort, but sweet FA of the Niseko peak itself? Even the thumbnail for the trail map is of the small but impressive looking Mt Yotei, rather than the Niseko Hill on which the actual resort trails are groomed
In case I didn't get my point across. For the benefit of prospective visitors to Niseko:

niseko1dg6.jpg

niseko2ss2.jpg

Thanks guys. Looks like I am heading to Hakubu via Tokyo in mid Deceember to mid Jan. Besides snow beds any views on accomm at a reasonable price for the month?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but one last one (this time) where can I look to see what lift tickets will cost me - anything I should be aware of like specials etc?

That is still a pretty spekky photo, even if it is a little irrelevant in the context of a Niseko trail map. What is the fourth resort at Niseko or is that yotei?

Spud - Thanks for the answer on the ice axe thingy it makes sense now.

Pete,

If you have the money, Niseko for sure. If you are on a budget, Hakuba will probably be cheaper to stay and get to.

Last season everywhere was good from mid December to mid January, but other years mid December would be a bit early. You may be lucky though.

Stay at the Hakuba Alps Backpackers if you want a cheap place that's friendly and close to the slopes:

http://www.hakubabackpackers.com/

le spud - Mt Yotei is the symbol of Niseko. Is it really so strange that they use it in their website? I don't think so. If you want to ski / board Yotei-san you can do it, just get a helicopter or hike.

If you clicked on the Trail Map icon and it showed pictures of Yotei-san, then I'd be complaining too, otherwise you seem to have some sort of weird grudge against what's an excellent resort...