Not to lose out to the early skis thread ;\) take a look at this

burton01b.jpg

I'd be interested to know who here has any really old first generation snowboards. I only got into it fairly recently (well, not at the beginning anyway) and would love to try out some really old gear to see how it feels.

This picture sums up nicely why I can't hate Burton like some others on this list. Pioneered the enitre sport.

I remember making a snowboard like these early prototypes when I was in elementary school (early 80's) hammering a bicycle inner tube onto a piece of wood I tried my best to shape like these. All the other kids laughed at me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tohoku bum:
This picture sums up nicely why I can't hate Burton like some others on this list. Pioneered the enitre sport.
yes, they pioneered the sport and kudos to those original guys but the Burton of 1980 and the Burton of 2006 are not the same animal.

Those original boards look more like water skiis, I can imagine it wasnt easy.

Actually friends of a friend took a kneeboard (midget surf board) to Mt Buller ski resort in Oz in 1980. I saw pix of them having a ball on small back slopes.

I recall them saying it was big fun, but way too fast. Ha, Ha.

I guess that fine line between inventivity and play is what determines success.

Those guyz were on a winner, just didn't know it.

I seem to recall seeing some very arcane photos from the early days of snowboarding (from the days when bindings had no highbacks) where dudes in the Colorado (???), USA area were using ski poles. I think part of the reason they were using them was as camouflage so they wouldn't be immediately recognized as "different" and get booted off the mountain...

My brother-in-law still boards with poles. He's truly an amazing rider, and I do not use that term lightly. Lot's of plusses about using poles in the bc and on moguls. He gets a lot of looks and finger-pointing when on groomers, though.

Yes I like seeing things like that, very interesting. They didn't seem to change that much 79-82. Would love to see a history line from the beginning until now to see how they developed.