• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
After dealing with Narita and assuming a very well managed transfer on the trains it will still be 3hrs or more (1 hour on the Narita express and 1 hr 30min on the Shink, 30 min worth of transfers, waiting for trains etc) to get to Echigo Yuzawa. And once there it is still probably another 15-20min to the accommodation.

Narita > Tokyo, about 1 hour (1800 yen Skyliner or 3300 yen N Express)
Tokyo > Yuzawa, about 80-90 minutes (6000 yen)

So yes, even with the quickest transfers, Yuzawa is 3 hours from Narita.

Minamami is 15 minutes less on the Shinkansen, but a bit more of a ride from there to the skiing.
 Originally Posted By: ausi ski bum
What exactly is a gaijin, last season about 40,000 Australians visited Japan to ski. I believe we are still vastly outnumbered by visitors from Hong Kong

Vastly outnumbered by HK visitors yes, but not for ski. There aren't even 10,000 skiers in HK.
 Originally Posted By: thursday
 Originally Posted By: ausi ski bum
What exactly is a gaijin, last season about 40,000 Australians visited Japan to ski. I believe we are still vastly outnumbered by visitors from Hong Kong

Vastly outnumbered by HK visitors yes, but not for ski. There aren't even 10,000 skiers in HK.

I think it's something like 80% of foreigners skiing at Niseko are Aussies. All companies here though are actively marketing in HK and other SE Asian countries. We are starting to get a lot more skiers from Singapore and Thailand. Mainland China and Korea are also growth areas.
 Originally Posted By: Mantas

There are just not enough high-end hotels at Niseko. Has become more and more difficult to book.

Cant see that being a problem thursday. What percentage do you think wants this level of accommodation?

Not thinking the majority of the Aussies as they'll prefer a backpackers or a self catering lodge for 2 weeks at a time.

Mr and Mrs Sapporo with kids who drive up on Friday nights, ski Saturday and leave Sunday afternoon. They'll stay at the hotels. That's why it's very difficult to book a stint over a Saturday night.

Example, the Hirafutei with the onsen balconys, very expensive but never available.

Alpen, not exactly luxurious but always full at the weekends.

I always have to book (and deposit) right at the beginning of the season to get the dates I want.

I am already booked for Dec Jan 2007/08 as the self contained apartments also fill quickly.

80% are aussies, wow .... well I guess if your gonna have a bunch of gaijin running (or skiing around) they may as well be Aussies.

I'm surprised they let you book so early as they will hike the prices at the beginning of October.

Actually it's "announce the prices" but it's always hike.

The unit I stay in is Australian owned and I am friends with the owner however most Aussies heading over there have booked already, we generally book as early as we can to ensure we get the best air fares and ensure our accommodation is assured.

I have even hired a car for that period.

I've not been anywhere. But there must be quite a lot right about the place with the amount of attention and love it seems to get. I'm hoping to maybe take a trip up there, but maybe will wait until I get the basics down ok \:\)

Nice read folks!

I am keen to take the trip to find out about it and it will probably be my only longish trip of the season. Other than Niseko I plan to check out all the places nearby here in Fukushima.

Any other Fukushimaians here?

Niseko is a wonderful place and offers excellent skiing. I know it well and I am now based in Nagano so know this region well also. If it was just about snow, I would choose Niseko every time.

I went last season and there were no problems there that I could see. We had a really fun few days with a lot of nightlife as well. Great times.

• 4 months later...
 Originally Posted By: zdlfskdladealijfsxdfk
I actually heard of some "Hakuba Probs" last season?

I don't know if it was just a joke or now, but gaijin running naked down the street and a few fights - true?

They were just heading home after the spa