Consider this a late trip report. About 4 years late, to be exact.

In April of 2008, I made the journey to Sayama ski area in Saitama. Sayama is an indoor ski area, consisting basically of a long roof placed on a hill, with two single-chair lifts on either side of the single gelaende, which measures 320 m long. Obviously, the snow is entirely artificial. Surprisingly, the walls are not enclosed -- there are some plastic curtains between the slope and the lifts, with the curtains being open most of the day. The lifts are under the roof, but open to the outside. Sayama is located next to the Seibu Dome on one side, and an open-air baseball field on the other side.

Hanami from the left-hand-side (skier's right) lift:

gallery_10844_192_367964.jpg

Looking up near the top of the lift:

gallery_10844_192_73970.jpg

View of the Seibu Dome from near the top of the left-hand lift:

gallery_10844_192_184018.jpg

View of the slope from near the top of the left-hand lift, looking across to the right-hand lift:

gallery_10844_192_16114.jpg

Baseball field seen from the right-hand lift:

gallery_10844_192_236517.jpg

Looking up-slope from the bottom:

gallery_10844_192_36755.jpg

Looking down from the top of the slope:

gallery_10844_192_19156.jpg

The steepest part of the slope, right at the top, is 15 degrees, with an average incline of 7 degrees.

Looking up from part-way down:

gallery_10844_192_437.jpg

Riding the right-hand lift:

gallery_10844_192_38313.jpg

As for overall impressions, well, what can one say? It is artificial snow, sure, though with the walls open like that it is surprisingly pleasant and open feeling. And it never rains.

The season starts early there, usually being the second place to open after Snowtown Yeti, some time in late October. The slope is not as long as Yeti's, but is wider (early-season), so less crowded. Certainly competitive with Marunuma Kogen or Karuizawa Prince Hotel for pre-season warm-up purposes. There is also a train station within walking distance.

Anyway, had a pleasant time there. Worse ways to spend a half day in Spring or Fall. Could even imagine going again some time for a Fall warm-up.

just had a wee neb at their website... 4000 yen for a saturday on that??? I mean if it was fully indoor and its season ran from, oh i dunno, sometime beyond the rest of the japanese season, then it might be in with a shout for my cash. But honest to christ... I remember hearing about this last year and im pretty sure i moaned about it being all the joy of indoor sliding with all the benefits of being in winter. Yeah, if you live near it, okay, might be nice to finish work and pop there for a few hours of box grinding in prep for early season. So er, yeah, see you in october or early november i guess if hakuba havent scored a line yet and karuizawa havent got the sprayers working :p

Nice to see it all though. Was interested in how it looked. Dont think im not grateful, it just beggars my rationality that it exists is all... :)

just had a wee neb at their website... 4000 yen for a saturday on that???

Note that they also have 3-hour tickets for 2,500 yen. Which is probably long enough to feel one has gotten whatever one is going to get out of the place.

Anyway, see how picky you are feeling come October. ;)

Very interesting Mr Oyaji.

Curious set up, never seen any photos before only heard a few things.

No SSAWS for sure.

Looks like a perfect warm up for Mt Granview.

Interesting Metaboy Oyaji, strange seeing a proper lift like that. In places like this I thought the lift was usually a crappy t-bar.

How far did you travel for your crazy day out?

;)

Maybe light winter gear. Though one guy had a full-face covering neck warmer and dark goggles on, which looked like massive overkill. Maybe it was a geinoujin who didn't want to be recognized or something.

I knew about this, but never considered going, now I see the pics and your report, I know I wouldn't go for sure, especially at that money!

If you live on the door step maybe ok, but when I have ski resorts close by, couldn't imagine going there.

Thanks for the pics and report though anyway, always nice to hear about new places regardless of where or what they are like.

Nice one Metabo! :thumbsup: & better late than never!! ;)

Having been to a couple of indoor slopes back in the UK, I'm actually quite tempted by this, particularly as it's not far by train from Tokyo. But then you are dealing with someone who's not only been to Yeti but also wants to go to Gassan! :D & it's a shame that it's not open during the summer!

• 3 weeks later...

Just seen this now Metabo.

Wonder if it makes good business.

Well, they've been in business since 1959, so they must be doing at least ok.

I'd be on for it though probably late autumn before the real snow arrives.

Bet that will be their busiest time.

Sounds like an SJ gathering in the making!

Sounds like a sort of plan.

Then again about the business, how many years does a business have to lost money to die here? Is 50 enough?   ;)

• 2 weeks later...