First dibs on the guitars and amps!

We'll probably do the non-direct flight thing next time ourselves. It's too expensive not to.

One week in the UK and two weeks off in mainland Europe somewhere. That's my kind of plan!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know when the Olympics are. I can't say I'm that interested either, to be honest.   The price normally goes up a lot sometime during July on some airlines but that's more to do with summer h

Well, I am very concerned about your safety, Chriselle.

But Unit 4 might collapse before then, in which case all of the northern hemisphere will be toast.

Possibly the southern one too, but that's just my non-scientific guess.

We'll probably do the non-direct flight thing next time ourselves. It's too expensive not to.

One week in the UK and two weeks off in mainland Europe somewhere. That's my kind of plan!

That's one thing I just can't wrap my head around. Offering cut rates is fine but how do JAL and Air Canada charge their outrageous fuel surcharges while I fly an extra 5 hours for half their surcharge fees. I can't think of any other situation where this F'ed up logic exists.

Well, I am very concerned about your safety, Chriselle.

But Unit 4 might collapse before then, in which case all of the northern hemisphere will be toast.

Possibly the southern one too, but that's just my non-scientific guess.

And certainly as accurate as the actual scientists.

That's one thing I just can't wrap my head around. Offering cut rates is fine but how do JAL and Air Canada charge their outrageous fuel surcharges while I fly an extra 5 hours for half their surcharge fees. I can't think of any other situation where this F'ed up logic exists.

Yes, that is ****ed up. We booked our flights to Toronto the other day. Haneda-LA-Toronto, Toronto-Washington DC-Narita... not looking forward to going through the states. This is also the most expensive non-direct flight I've ever booked, almost double what I paid last March when I went home on a direct flight.

We just got to suck it up and choose hey.

:grandpa:

I have upgraded my flight to "Economy Comfort" (as opposted to, presumably "Economy Discomfort"). Hate doing it, but hey it sure as heck feels better on the day(s).

Taken my price to I think around 180,000 yen return.

Would prefer to pay less but hey there you go.

2100 US$ each. Direct flights were 2850$. Almost not worth it.

That's the prices we were looking at ...maybe more... for a direct flight to Vancouver.

Remember when we first came to Japan....return flights on JAL were around ¥80,000 all inclusive? :grandpa: Prices have tripled or more in 15 years....

Ya, maybe peak summer but mid to end of July was around the ¥100,000 mark. BUT, also that was when Canadian Airlines was still operating and there was competition. It's like flights to LA or Seattle....those destinations are still fairly reasonable because they get a lot of traffic via many carriers.

You know what I'd love to see on an international flight...... the price every one paid for their seat. A bit number flashing above their head. Or everyone hold up a piece of paper.

It would be very interesting to see all the variations.

And probably quite annoying as well, if you paid more than others.

[broken record]

The most annoying one is when Jetstar off 299 AUD return to Japan and for folks in Japan, flying on the same dates is 75,000 yen

All the big airlines do it too.

August 9 Heathrow to Narita, August 21 Narita to Heathrow on KLM is 878 pounds all in buying the ticket today.

A return flight in the opposite direction on the cheapest similar dates is 190,000 yen, close to double.

I'm convinced the fuel surcharge is just a way to gouge money out of people in Japan. I suspect there is collusion involved, probably with the government in there too to help JAL and ANA who are otherwise uncompetitive. So you can fly on BA out of Japan if you like but you're still paying the JAL price.

[/broken record]

I think I (we) would have heard some sort of rumor by now if there was. I'm letting my dollars do the talking by sacrificing my time to go the round about way with a crappy carrier. JAL and Air Canada can bite me...

[broken record]

The most annoying one is when Jetstar off 299 AUD return to Japan and for folks in Japan, flying on the same dates is 75,000 yen

All the big airlines do it too.

August 9 Heathrow to Narita, August 21 Narita to Heathrow on KLM is 878 pounds all in buying the ticket today.

A return flight in the opposite direction on the cheapest similar dates is 190,000 yen, close to double.

I'm convinced the fuel surcharge is just a way to gouge money out of people in Japan. I suspect there is collusion involved, probably with the government in there too to help JAL and ANA who are otherwise uncompetitive. So you can fly on BA out of Japan if you like but you're still paying the JAL price.

[/broken record]

I sent British Airways a rather irate Daily Mail-like email couple of years ago complaining of this very thing, their reply was, when you cut through all the flowere doubles-speak that actually has no meaning was, "tough...suck it up"

bastards