• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know when the Olympics are. I can't say I'm that interested either, to be honest.   The price normally goes up a lot sometime during July on some airlines but that's more to do with summer h

Looking at going back with ANA around mid-july sometime, and for 2 adults and a wee one, we have been quoted 270,000yen. Not bad but a bit of a shock still.

Oh, and that is direct. None of this transit to Heathrow malakey.

Presumably the kid is under two, otherwise it would be three seats.Pricewise that's not too painful though.

Flying ANA once to Europe gives you enough airmiles for a flight to Okinawa or Hokkaido, something very easy to redeem. It makes it more of a tangible bonus.

I also guess you're flying just on the right side of the date in July when the price goes up. We took ANA to Paris last year on May 31. That's another last-chance-before-the price-goes-up date. Basically you get June for the May price. If you're a family and can be flexible like that, you can save a lot of money, though eventually it'll mean taking your kids out of school.

Hmmm some of you guys seem to be coming right in Olympic time.

Not more expensive than usual?

Am coming in a week or so before, but there was a noticeable price hike if we were to arrive the week or a few days before it all kicks off.

I don't know when the Olympics are. I can't say I'm that interested either, to be honest.

The price normally goes up a lot sometime during July on some airlines but that's more to do with summer holidays. I think you'll find flights to other countries going up at the same time.

• Like 1

I would think they would, but I haven't actually checked. the olympics are on in June....right? Its not a time that I would be able to return home in anyway, so shouldn't affect me so much. I know the whole supply and demand thing means prices go up, but you'd think for such a global affair that "some influential party" would try and get the airlines to keep their prices normal/reasonable to encourage people to travel. I read that UEFA are unhappy with the mark up that Ukrainian hotels have come up with for fans during EURO 2012. The Ukranian Government has even said that it will intervene and get hotels to lower their prices. Any of the Brit based posters going to the EURO's? I reckon it'll be a dangerous old trip........the Poles and Ukrainian fans are hooligans of the worst kind....real knuckle draggers. I think it may well be a war zone

I realise they get more expensive for the summer holiday period.

I was wondering if they were relatively even more expensive due to the Olympic effect.......

It's hard to tell because prices are up quite a bit across the board this year, so the "compared to previous years" comparison doesn't really work.

From an unscientific two-minute look at flights on JAL to Hawaii, summer fares start on the twelve of July when it goes up 25%. Any price boost around the Olympics would have to discount for that.

Well one thing is that I don't think they have noticeably got a lot more expensive.

The "surcharges" are as comical as ever, of course. "Would you like some fuel with your seat, Mr pie-eater?"

On the subject of flights.... here's one that always confuses me.

How come they say that you can take on one "hand luggage", but a fairly big computer case doesn't seem to count? I can never quite understand that. If I took the case, stuffed with baked beans instead of a computer, would it suddenly become a problem?

And do they ever weigh hand luggage? Often they don't even look at it.

How come they say that you can take on one "hand luggage", but a fairly big computer case doesn't seem to count? I can never quite understand that. If I took the case, stuffed with baked beans instead of a computer, would it suddenly become a problem?

:lol:

I just hate hate hate taking my computer out. More than taking my belt and shoes off almost. Especially at Heathrow where they manhandle everything. Never ends to frustrate me.

• 3 weeks later...

:lol:

I just hate hate hate taking my computer out. More than taking my belt and shoes off almost. Especially at Heathrow where they manhandle everything. Never ends to frustrate me.

Avoiding Heathrow is a big plus in that respect.

Well one thing is that I don't think they have noticeably got a lot more expensive.

The "surcharges" are as comical as ever, of course. "Would you like some fuel with your seat, Mr pie-eater?"

No, but a pie wouldn't go a miss.

Just booked a flight over to UK.

Going to spend a week with family over there and then spend close on two weeks in Austria and Germany.

Well, we are doing the Nagoya-Shanghai-Vancouver with China Eastern again this summer. I swore I would NEVER do it again but alas...never say never to a 180,000 yen savings from the next cheapest carrier. Should we crash... and the odds seem high....it was nice knowing you all. :violin:

Picking up a new iPad today ( :party: ) with the savings and will come in handy as there is no in-flight entertainment except for some old Chinese "B" movie with illegible subtitles.