well not much to add to Muika's comment, he's pretty much nailed it. I understand that people want to spin their business in the best light, but don't be surprised when people shoot it down when it is bullshit. There are a couple of guys, well mentioned already, who just went overboard with the spin. They could get away with it on foreign based snow forums but on this forum we have people from all over the country so the crap is likely to get found out. Now guys like Mr Wiggles, who I feel is not one of the hype merchants, tend to take the brunt as there are only a few of you Hakuba people left who post.....which is a shame as it is one of the best areas for snow in the country and deserves an honest voice on the forum....but thats the problem. I always thought Stemik was fair in his posts too, but he posts infrequently now as well. The "bottomless" jibe is now pretty entrenched and certain people only have themselves to blame for that. Anyways heres to a great season in Hakuba and everywhere else!!

:cheers:

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But TJ told us that winter was here a few weeks ago, and didn't say anything about it not being here since, and I always believe him.  

Very wintery here in Mooloolaba Qld as I just got home from a night on the pus with my workmates and got the severe cold shoulder from my be-loved hic!

No probs Tubby. Fwiw, I also take issue with folks calling all snow "powder", but that old chestnut can wait till another day.   The sun's trying to break through at the moment in Hakuba so you can

One of the biggest problems is that TJ is an Aussie and on the whole Aussies think bottomless is anything more than a dusting, usually supplied by the snowmaking machinery working overtime through the night. Can't tell you how many times I've been skiing in Niseko in what I consider pretty bad conditions only to hear some Aussies commenting how it's the best snow they've ever skied on! If you've ever skied in Australia you'd understand how overexcited Aussies can get about a little snow falling from the sky that is more than just sleety, icy crap. ;)

Yes it would be great to hear more from normal Hakuba folk who don't have some kind of unshakeable agenda.

Regular updates!

Cheese at resort photos!! (very important)

Regular photos that don't necessarily need to look like they are from the cover of a dvd/magazine!!! (*though those are welcome too!)

:friend:

Come on lads, get on the case! Show us you can do it. You'd be doing Hakuba a favour too.

One of the biggest problems is that TJ is an Aussie and on the whole Aussies think bottomless is anything more than a dusting, usually supplied by the snowmaking machinery working overtime through the night. Can't tell you how many times I've been skiing in Niseko in what I consider pretty bad conditions only to hear some Aussies commenting how it's the best snow they've ever skied on! If you've ever skied in Australia you'd understand how overexcited Aussies can get about a little snow falling from the sky that is more than just sleety, icy crap. ;)

I know exactly where they are coming from.......that's what I learned on in Scotland

Looks like winter maybe coming in a big way very soon. Time to clean up the last of the yard and get the blower into position.

Ive got some mega fats for sale with or without bindings if people are interested. Ill sell super cheap as well.

• SnowJapan Admin

To the few newcomer clowns coming up with glib and sarcastic comments - that btw are not appearing here, so I'm not talking about anyone that has a post in this thread - why are you wasting your time?

Why not do something more constructive?

Look, this year more than ever I think we're just about fed up with working around politics and agendas and all that silly baggage.

Patience level with that kind of thing is pretty low, so don't waste your or (more importantly to us) our, time please.

Just go somewhere else and do your stuff there. We really, really, really don't mind... honest. Really.

Ironic isn't it.

One of the people who probably does the most good for the region they live in is muikabochi with all his amazing photos he posts.

But he's not doing it hoping to promote the area, that simply does not enter his head.

And it doesn't come across that way either, does it - no one bags him because of it, do they?

Instead, they thank him for the amazing images and letting them know about some sometimes lesser known skijo in Niigata.

He's simply posting great photos and telling many many people about this area of Niigata.

In the end the one without any kind of marketing hat on is doing the best job out there.

If I were trying to do what I can for an area, I'd take a lesson from that.

He should be given season tickets to the resorts I reckon for the good he does them!!

Snow forecast is a good starting point I think SJ is linked to therir data. Also Unisys and friends that just seem to know how to read these maps. In think aussies are some of the best at reading these things, imho

• SnowJapan Admin

The 6 days forecasts that rider69 is referring to are displayed on 200+ resort pages (* that should be increasing soon actually)

For example:

http://www.snowjapan...il.php?resid=65

http://www.snowjapan...ail.php?resid=1

http://www.snowjapan...l.php?resid=120

etc

no one knows but there are strong suspicions that the Artist Formerly Known as Thursday.........may or may not be Alex L

I think that Rob and GG are really the owners of the Aki-Aji brau and they shamelessly plug their brau on here....shame on you (I want freebies)

• SnowJapan Admin

Ironic isn't it.

One of the people who probably does the most good for the region they live in is muikabochi with all his amazing photos he posts.

But he's not doing it hoping to promote the area, that simply does not enter his head.

And it doesn't come across that way either, does it - no one bags him because of it, do they?

Instead, they thank him for the amazing images and letting them know about some sometimes lesser known skijo in Niigata.

He's simply posting great photos and telling many many people about this area of Niigata.

In the end the one without any kind of marketing hat on is doing the best job out there.

If I were trying to do what I can for an area, I'd take a lesson from that.

He should be given season tickets to the resorts I reckon for the good he does them!!

muikabochi is a local friend of course, and I don't know how much of it is a co-incidence or not, but when he has put all his excellent photos on the site, those particular resort pages etc do see a considerable spike in page views.

It applies to all good photos that get uploaded of course.... people see them, get interested in a place and seek out more.

I know if I were working at a resort, or wanted to help along my town etc, I would see that as an opportunity.

As long as it's not done in any kind of commercial manner, we are fine with that.

I dont like to take scenic pictures they for the most part are not what I really like to take. I like a good action shot, sking or any other sport. So if I post a picture in a TR it will come across as marketing. Like most locals and Go Native will more than likely agree it is a lot easier for us to make the most out a presumed bad day. Quite frankly we know where to go when. That is the local advantage now isnt it?

yeah, but I don't think that SJ is talking against that. Action shots are great. Of course locals will know where to go on bad days to still get the goods, but spinning that as if the whole hill was going off is what people get irked by IMO

• SnowJapan Admin

I'm quite bewildered by this -- why would we not want 'action shots' posted?

:confused:

I can't see why an 'action shot' would particularly be thought of as 'marketing', or any more though of as marketing than any other photo.

:confused:

MikePow and others have posted hundreds of amazing shots in the past and they are very welcome.

And come on, the number of photos that we have taken down from SnowJapan because we thought they were 'marketing' is probably less than 10 in the last 6 years.

It's close to none.

Some people seem to want to insist on blowing things like this right out of all proportion.

If you can sense a little irritation here, you sense correct.

If you want to post photos here, great - please do, they are very welcome and will be seen by a lot of people.

But if you don't want to, or can't be bothered spending the few minutes it takes or whatever and just tease about posting your stoke elsewhere, what exactly are you doing in this particular community?

Thanks toka. I like the idea of the season ticket!

If my pics encourage other people to seek out Minamiuonuma or anywhere else, thats cool.

Can't wait for the season to get going so I can get going. All ready now.