• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like about 30C here. We've just got the office windows open... no AC at all. I'm fine with it though... I don't seem to be affected by the heat so much any more. Think my Canadian blood has thinned out a little!

Yep it sure was hot yesterday, though not quite as bad in northern Gunma. That Saitama/southern Gunma region really gets it hot.

roasting again today, was down at the beach for a few hours, the sand is burning hot. went for a nice cooling swim, had a nice beer with lunch and now at home enjoying my air-con for a bit smile

Big difference up in Hokkaido. Yesterday Kutchan went from an overnight low of 11 to a top of 16 degrees and today they went from 10 to a mild 18 degrees!

It's not much cooler here in Melbourne and it's supposedly winter. God I hate the pitiful excuse of a 'winter' we get here in Aus.

They do but I think there is a very tiny resort down there (like a single lift or something along thouse lines)

On the news one year for the Sydney to Hobart. They where doing the weather brief in sydney where it was 40c (in summer) and they where saying there was snow on the peaks in tas

It's too low I believe. People do cross country, but there's nothing commercial. You have to go to the Victorian Alps or NSW.

They sometimes get snow in the SW of Western Australia. When that happens, all the enthusiasts gather to stand around in their winter kit in about an inch max. I can relate to that. I lived there long enough to suffer from severe snow withdrawl.

Originally Posted By: TubbyBeaverinho
GN, does Tasmania get a cold winter? Do they get any snow down there?

Tassie has a temperate maritime climate with very heavy annual precipitation experienced on the western side tapering off to pretty dry on some parts of the eastern side. The strong maritime influence of the southern ocean means the weather is fairly uniform throughout the year. Obviously it's cooler in winter but even in summer cool weather and snow on the peaks is fairly frequent. Thing is it rarely gets what you could call all that cold. Snow on the mountains is frequent in winter but so is rain and it fluctuates between the two constantly rarely allowing a deep stable base of snow to form. The highest peak is only a little over 1,600m and it and many of the peaks that do get a reasonably stable cover of snow in the winter are very hard to access. Much of the mountains in Tassie are within national parks and wilderness areas and thankfully will never have any development. There is really only one ski resort and it generally has pretty variable conditions often not having enough snow to operate even in mid winter. The other area in the south only has one rope tow operated by a club but is a good point to head out backcountry where the snow cover can be a bit more reliable.