The FOOTBALL Thread (2011-2012)

Berbatov

The £30.75million forward has found first-team places difficult to come by since being left out of the United squad for last season's Champions League final defeat to Barcelona.

And, on the eve of a last-16 Europa League second leg tie with Athletic Bilbao, Ferguson confirmed the Bulgarian is set to leave in the summer.

"His concern is not getting first-team football," said Ferguson.

"At 31, he is looking at first-team football.

"It is difficult for me to guarantee that so it could lead to him looking elsewhere."

Berbatov's contract is due to expire in the summer. However, rather than let the former Tottenham man leave for nothing at the end of the season, they will trigger a one-way clause to extend the deal for a further year.

That would mean United would get a fee for the player, who was linked with former club Bayer Leverkusen during the January transfer window.

However, the Red Devils hierarchy know they would get nothing like the mammoth sum they paid for the striker, whom Ferguson had such high hopes for when he arrived but has never quite managed to fulfil them, despite ending last season as the joint Golden Boot winner.

He wasn't very interesting for United hey.

Even if he did get all those goals the other season.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bit of a shame really to have the Mancurians meeting this early

Didn't Sky used to put on FA cup games or was it just the semis and the final or something?

At first i was all like... hahahahahahahaahahaha!!! then i was all like, "well, there goes the last remaining slither of interest anyone might have about the SPL! but then i thought about it again and

I think that beratovs big goal haul that season, while of course important, kind of looks better than it was..... I think 8 of those were scored in just two games. Too inconsistent.

Pretty shocking stuff

--

Footballer Fabrice Muamba is fighting for his life after collapsing on the pitch during the FA Cup quarter-final match between Tottenham Hotspur and Bolton.

The Bolton Wanderers midfielder collapsed near the halfway line 41 minutes into the match, which was then abandoned by referee Howard Webb.

Paramedics rushed across the pitch and spent six minutes trying to resuscitate the former England Under-21 international before he was stretchered off.

Reports suggest that the 23-year-old footballer was not breathing when he was carried through the tunnel before being taken to hospital.

Bolton Wanderers midfielder Fabrice Muamba faces a crucial 24 hours in his fight for life, manager Owen Coyle has said.

The 23-year-old remains critically ill after collapsing during an FA Cup quarter-final tie against Tottenham.

He is being treated in the intensive care unit of the heart attack centre at the London Chest Hospital.

Coyle said: "It's very serious. There's no getting away from that. God willing, he makes it through."

Medics spent six minutes trying to resuscitate the former England under-21 international on the field after he fell to the ground with no other players around him.

Arsenal above the Hotspurs? They'll be back to singing "Nayim from the halfway line".

Great turnaround from Citeh there, with Tevez of all people. They could still do with being a bit more direct at times though.

Liverpool losing to a bottom three club when 2-0 up after 75 minutes. Dear oh deary deary.