1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I got my car license on my 18th birthday and have always had a car (even when living in a city and mostly using pulic transport for day to day stuff). Couldn't imagine not having one. I have met quite a few people up here though well into their 20's who didn't even have a license before coming to Japan!! I can't really understand how people get by in life without a car. Having always been into skiing (and mostly backcountry skiing) I have always needed a car to get to the places I want to ski.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I got my car license on my 18th birthday and have always had a car (even when living in a city and mostly using pulic transport for day to day stuff). Couldn't imagine not having one. I have met quite a few people up here though well into their 20's who didn't even have a license before coming to Japan!! I can't really understand how people get by in life without a car. Having always been into skiing (and mostly backcountry skiing) I have always needed a car to get to the places I want to ski.

Interesting isn't it GN.
Cousin of mine in the UK is currently trying to get her license (has failed multiple times) - she is in her mid 30s and mother of 2, but always went everywhere by public transport.

I had mine a few days after my 17th birthday.
I could not imagine being without a license and a car.
Even the few weeks after my shoulder op where I was not allowed to drive did my head in.
#2 son got his license yesterday, and a car today - can not wipe the smile off his face.

But I can understand why you wouldn't if you were working in the city in Japan and were a foreigner with less than perfect written language skills....
Originally Posted By: Mamabear

But I can understand why you wouldn't if you were working in the city in Japan and were a foreigner with less than perfect written language skills....

Psst.... you can do the test in English, and most road signs are written in English. ;(

Hell, us Brits gave Japan it's rules of the roads. biggrin
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Originally Posted By: Mamabear

Psst.... you can do the test in English, and most road signs are written in English. ;(

Hell, us Brits gave Japan it's rules of the roads. biggrin

you can do the written test in English? hmmm......interesting thumbsup

You can rent them pretty cheap in Japan if you live in the city and are looking at 200,000 a year for a parking space plus all the other ownership taxes for something you only use on days off. We rented a car for six days in Okinawa last month. It was 20500 for a Cube from the Nissan rental place. The car was spotless and only six months old, a far cry from any rentacar horror stories you may have heard in other countries.

At home, me and the missus have a car and a van.

I don't know about now but the Japanese test used to be in top quality Engrish with expressions like the "inner wheel swerve" and "creep phenomenon" and the somewhat bizarre question "is voluntary insurance necessary?" to which the correct answer was yes.

Don't live there anymore, but started out with a scooter and got a car pretty quick after that. Living in Nagoya made it easier and much more affordable as parking is way cheaper and traffic wasn't too bad.

Had a car for quite a few years now and take it for granted, it really is great to not have to rely on public transport - as good as it often is here.