Sad news but it seems that there has already been an avalanche casualty this winter.

Quote:
Man killed after avalanche strikes group of skiers, snowboarders

Tuesday 30th November, 02:22 PM JST

TOYAMA —

One man died and four others were injured Tuesday after a group of six skiers and snowboarders became caught in an avalanche on a mountain in central Japan.

A 32-year-old company employee from Tokyo, Hiroshi Takeda, died in the accident that occurred shortly before 9 a.m. while the six were climbing the northern slope of 2,621-meter Mt. Kunimi in the Tateyama Mountain Range, according to Toyama prefectural police. Two men are in serious condition and two others sustained injuries that are not life-threatening, they said.

Keep your head up and stay safe!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Good reminder to me to stick with the slack country, I am not prepared for the ramifications of a bad decision in the back country. I got kids to raise.

Avies occur there and within resort boundaries as well (though patrol typically closes off areas when conditions are prime so cases are few but...), thinking like that is what gets people into dangerous situations. Bad decisions occur everywhere.
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Good reminder to me to stick with the slack country, I am not prepared for the ramifications of a bad decision in the back country. I got kids to raise.

Avies occur there and within resort boundaries as well (though patrol typically closes off areas when conditions are prime so cases are few but...), thinking like that is what gets people into dangerous situations. Bad decisions occur everywhere.
Yeah. I know (about avies occurring anywhere). But ya gotta admit the guidance is usually there within the resort. And if ropes are closed I am not ducking anyway.

The level of skill required to get out safely goes up significantly when you start hiking it. I don't think I am prepared. Therefore I wont go there. Enough people with loads of skill and experience get caught out - I reckon getting plenty of experience at making good decisions in slack country/out gates/inbounds is the best preparation for making good decisions in the real back country. Is that not intelligent (if cautious) thinking?

hopefully just got your guys (well HokkPowTours) to try and pencil in dates for an AST B course around 11th and 12th january. Just got to find a cheap beacon, a cheap shovel, a cheap bakpack, cheap probe (and some cheap trekking shoes and cheap poles and/or cheap splitboard) and im all set!

veryshocked

well, that and cheap food, and a cheap map, and a cheap compass, and a cheap course on learning to not get lost reading a map, and a cheap snow checking kit, and a cheap everything in the whole damn world that i havent thought of... oooh! a first aid kit! and something for insulation :|

Don't worry about it too much MB. Stick to some of the easier to access gates at Niseko and you should be fine. People love to carry on about safety but let's face it there's not been an avi death in Niseko since 1998 and that's after literally 1000's and 1000's of people skiing the slackcountry out through the gates and off the peak. Most who have no gear whatsoever or any avie knowledge. That's pretty damned safe in my opinion. I think it's more risky me driving to Hanazono from Kutchan than skiing off the peak without avi gear.

I'm all for safety GN.

And I am not doing stuff that isn't within reason.

Not a big risk taker, me!

I am not worried about Niseko. Happy to stick to Miharashi, Strawberries, a few of the gates, and if we get the right conditions, the peak.

But thanks for the encouragement.

I was getting keen to do some bigger stuff, but I am really getting a buzz still with the things we have already done. No need to increase the risk just to say it has been done, is there. This thread was just a reminder for me that for us it is all about fun and sticking with what we know and are comfortable is within our skill parameters.

It is always good to be reminded that we aren't invincible.

That there are repercussions for actions.

There are lots of people who would mourn anyones death (Hopefully).

And I don't think it would be a very nice way to die unless of course you were really old and were about to die anyway and you went out in a blaze of glory.

Stay safe

Seemore

Around 1,100 people die each day from slipping over in their bath or shower. A timely reminder to be careful whilst washing people! And if you shower/bath more than once a day you are increasing your risk greatly. Wash less to live longer!!

Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba
Ahhh, but what percentage of people take a bath or shower compared to the percentage of people who partake in winter sports?

Ahhh who the hell cares? I just get amused that with just about every avie death somewhere in the world we always need to get 'timely reminders'. Just getting out of bed having a shower and driving to work is pretty damned dangerous. It's not like we post about about every death from slipping in the shower or every car accident that results in a fatality every day do we? 10's of thousands of people die every single day oftentimes in the most ridiculous ways. Most we never hear about or couldn't care less about, some we even make fun of in things like the Darwin Awards. Avie deaths worldwide each year would be what? Barely a few hundred people? Not even as many that die each and every day from something as mundane as slipping in the shower. I just don't get why we need to have timely reminders every time someone dies in the mountains. Sure it can be dangerous out there. Thanks for pointing it out, I never realised skiing could be dangerous! razz

Make light of it all you want GN but the reason for starting this thread is to remind people to be safe. It's not to scare people into being less adventurous or to say that you are going to die in an avalanche while skiing this winter, etc etc. We take risk in everything we do but that doesn't mean we need to be reckless.

The argument you are putting forward is a little strange I think. It's like saying, hey, only 3 matadors die fighting bulls every year so it's obviously not that risky to pick up a red cape and jump in the bull ring (because more people die in car accidents, you know!).

Personally, I'm one of those people that likes to take risks... but that doesn't mean they aren't calculated risks. I try to make sure my actions don't effect others and if an accident does happen I'm prepared to accept responsibility for it. The same can't be said for a lot of other adventurous people.

Originally Posted By: big-will
In the UK, probably about the same wink

Hey, I'm sure that more than half of the people I know back home have a shower or bath at least once a week!!

slap