Hi All,

Going to be coming to Japan this season, and I'm looking to buy a set of skis in Tokyo when I arrive. I've been doing a lot of research, but I'm interested to hear what people's personal experience with different all mountain ski widths in Japanese conditions are.

Myself, I'm 170cm, 70kg and an intermediate skill level. I'm after an all mountain ski that I can take anywhere in Japanese ski resorts (especially in Hokkaido). My dilemma is trying to decide which side of the 50/50 line I should go...

Top of my list right now is the K2 AMP Rictor 127/80/109 (or last season's Apache Recon) and the Volkl Unlimited AC30 124/80/107.

Is 80mm under foot enough in Hokkaido powder? I know its nothing like a powder ski, but I still want to make fast turns down groomed runs. Would 85mm (Volkl AC50) be much better?

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't skied specifically in Japan, but from what I know and what I have experienced 80 waist is going to be wayyyyy too narrow.

It's doable don't get me wrong, but I would check out more along the lines of a 100 waist. Something along the lines of the Line Prophet 100, Volkl Katana, or Atomic Atlas should really be where you want your ideal all condition ski to be. Those will still handle groomers and be fine in that fluffy white stuff we all love.

I find the Armada JJ's to suit me well at Snowbird in all conditions (hardpack, pow, slush, etc) so those may be worth checking out even though they are a bit wider.

I ski Dynafit Manaslu's which are 124-95-109. Find them great for the powder up this way. For the deep stuff you really don't need a whole lot of sidecut. But for a ski that will do pretty well here and still be useful on the typical hardpack back in Aus the skis you're looking at seem a good choice.

Problem is what does ``intermediate'' mean (I figure I've been an intermediate skier for about 25 years now, though I'm a lot better than I was 25 years ago) in your terms.

What are you skiing on now? And what skis have you demo'd and liked? Without knowing that it's hard to offer useful advice, but I'll take a stab anyway.

Between the AC30/AC50, I'd definitely go with the AC50 (I skied Niseko for several seasons on AC4s, the earlier version of the AC50, and only wanted something bigger for the really deep days.)

I'd suggest a ski in the 85-90mm width. That will handle 90% of powder days and 100% of other conditions. If there's a 1 meter plus dump, you can always rent something wider.

Lots of good choices in that range, and keep in mind that you could demo some different models in Niseko before making your choice. Lots of shops at the mountain, or just order by phone or online from shops in Sapporo or Tokyo (you can get contacts and see what they've got during your initial stay in Tokyo) and get delivery overnight.

Unless you're a pretty accomplished intermediate who likes to ski very, very fast, I'd stick to no longer than a 165cm ski -- drop down a bit if you ski without such reckless abandon. Roughly eyebrow height for speed, chin height for caution.

As always, others may have better suggestions and YMMV. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

By 'intermediate' I mean that I can handle blue runs at decent speed and getting ok at off piste. Still got heaps to learn, especially in powder! I'm planning on being in Japan for a long time, maybe even the whole season, so I'll have plenty of time to improve my technique.

This will be my first set of skis, just been using rentals on previous trips (have my own boots). Tried a few 80 width (Recon and Salomon XWing etc) in NZ a few weeks ago and was quite happy with them on the groomers. Unfortunately, we didn't get any fresh snow while we were there...

I'm starting to think those Line Prophet 100 might not be too wide for on piste, from what I've read. I guess I'm just going to have to try them and a few others out when I get there.

Originally Posted By: RedLotus
Thanks everyone for the responses.

By 'intermediate' I mean that I can handle blue runs at decent speed and getting ok at off piste. Still got heaps to learn, especially in powder! I'm planning on being in Japan for a long time, maybe even the whole season, so I'll have plenty of time to improve my technique.

This will be my first set of skis, just been using rentals on previous trips (have my own boots). Tried a few 80 width (Recon and Salomon XWing etc) in NZ a few weeks ago and was quite happy with them on the groomers. Unfortunately, we didn't get any fresh snow while we were there...

I'm starting to think those Line Prophet 100 might not be too wide for on piste, from what I've read. I guess I'm just going to have to try them and a few others out when I get there.

I rode this years a lot at the Canyons resort this past season and they are pretty fun! Good stiffness to them and also spun a couple laps through the park for a fun time smile

I'd be looking to get something around 100 underfoot, especially if you plan to spend a lot of time on them in Japan. If your just learning to ski powder/off piste conditions the wider ski will be more stable and make life much easier, and you'll progress faster.

Also look at getting something with a bit of tip rocker in it.

They'll still carve fine on groomers, 100 is an all mountain width these days, powder skis start from around 110 and go upward rapidly from there.

Once you go fat you'll never go back !

well as MikePow says, you gotta be working on your powder technique more than the skis. I've used AC50s in Niseko and they work just as well, but a little more bouncing is required.

Don't go too wide like shawadywady, go for an all mountain, where you can of course, go all mountain. 88 sounds perfect.

Id get something between 90-100. Those arent that fat and I can carve on skis that are 105 and shred on them all over the mountain. At first it will feel different because you have to get that much more over on the ski edge, but its nothing that a few runs wont take care of. A 95ish waist like the Mantra (96), Chronic (92), if you want something thinner Prophet (90), would all be really nice.

Minty, it depends what you are going to be skiing and for how long. If you are generally going to be skiing on or near to the trails then the skis you are on will definately be fine. If you want to go deep into the trees and the snow is knee deep (or more), then you will still be ok, but it would be much easier on bigger skis. If you are going to be spending lots of time in deep snow, or if you have lots of money for new skis then definately grab some big skis. If however you are in those conditions for a shorter time and you dont have a big pile of spare cash then you can make do with the ones you have for the short time you will be there.

Powder was skied before fat skis were invented, it was just harder to do. On skinnier skis you have to keep your feet closer together and keep the weight even on both skis so that one doesnt sink more that the other. On fat skis you can do whatever you like.

We don't have much spare cash lying around at the moment so were always going to stick with the skis we have, and you'll probably know by now that I'm a beginner, so I'll definitely be sticking on the trails for the most part (if we get towards the end and I'm feeling brave we can hire fatter skis for the day NP) Thanks for the advice re keeping my feet close together & weight even in deeper powder - makes heaps of sense but I never would have thought of it smile

Originally Posted By: SKI
Once you try and fall in love with it, you will FIND that money needed to fuel the love! smile

haha, if you mean fall in love with skiing - it's already happened. Unfortunately this year we are also finding the money for our wedding, our honeymoon & renovating our home.

This is a really relevant question. Niseko is the kind of place where there is so much side country powder that unless you are skiing K2 Pontoons, you often find yourself wanting bigger skis underfoot.

I can't add much to this thread, but I would say that it is better as a capable skier to have to deal with fatter skis when on piste than be short of area when you really want to float through the deeper stuff. Go large.

SdS