When do you realise you are getting fat?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was getting a bit short on breath when I did a bit of easy hiking. And a definitely larger squeezable stomach area. Just didn't feel good about it. Now lost about 8-9kg and feeling good with it.

Making the "fatty grunt" when you bend over to do up the shoelaces, or developing a little difficulty reaching the feet to wash them whilst in the bath are good signs you're getting too girthy.

Yep those last two posts.

I tend to put on weight really quickly and find it tough losing it, like most people probably. Thing is I seem unable to do anything but put on weight unless I really really put an effort in. There's no "stable" time where I keep it just as. I put some on then have to lose it when I need to really put an effort into the dieting.

Like now. sadface

Originally Posted By: Cheeseman
I highly recommend cheese.
Not only is it delicious but also highly nutritious, and fun for all!

Oh I LOVE cheese! Hard cheeses especially are good as you don't need as much for the yummy flavour

other vices include chocolate (daily, and I will never EVER give up my chocolate. But i'm learning to savour it) Natural confectionary company lollies (1 bag a week) burger king - 3x a month, noodle canteen - once a week, bread, oh delicious bread.

Apparently if you have a food intolerance you will typically crave it. I think that could be part of my problem as I used to make myself sick regularly with what I eat. Still get sick sometimes but I restrict myself more now.

Good on you for giving up smoking MB, and for realising that you can't eat everything you want! I need to realise that still. I don't want to realise that!

Mmmm food!

How many kg is 20 lbs thursday? I think the average weight gain during pregnancy is 10kg.
Originally Posted By: Schneebored
I know I need to tone up when I jiggle my belly and the jiggle goes all the way to my moobs.
Thanks for that. I laughed so hard I snorted coffee out of my nose!

Minty...I reckon I have a few years on you. (I am 41)
Some touch and go health scares for myself, people dropping around me far far too young, and a young soul that wants to SNOWBOARD MORE made me realize. I have always tried to diet and exercise for vanity sake in the past...but vanity is just not a real big motivator for me.

I found the motivation in living long, living well, living full on and being there to engage with my kids as they grow older. I do not want to just 'see' my kids grow up...I want to be right there beside them. And if that means hiking the Niseko peak then so be it - into the gym out with the carbs. smile

But carbs are so oishii. doh

Lost a bit myself though not through some huge plan. Just not really had the appetite with the heat and done lots of evening walks.

Originally Posted By: Nisoko
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Let's talk about SASHIMI biggrin

Only if it is deep fried and covered in yummy sauce.

Clearly not sashimi then!

Winter & a hectic study & work schedule has seen me put on a few kg's. Amping to get out now and burn it off.
Originally Posted By: Schneebored
I know I need to tone up when I jiggle my belly and the jiggle goes all the way to my moobs.

Yes!

I remember last summer (a particularly chubby period), I was driving and unexpectedly went over a little bump in the road. Normally when one anticipates the bump, the abdominal muscles automatically tense, but since this was unforseen and random, the muscles stayed relaxed, and my belly bounced and rebounded a couple of times. Such and odd feeling... I thought to myself, "that's what it must feel like to have boobs"!

I was a big big girl but still very active but ate TOTALLY the wrong things and got up to a size 18. One day I decided I couldn't live like it anymore and started dieting, counting down on the amounts I ate and monitoring everything I ate and working out. I lost 25kg got down to a very tiny Size 8, was training to do body sculpting competitions and got down to 45kg's.

Any way as the story goes over a period of 3 years things started going wrong and now the only exercise I can do is very low aerobic work (blah), very hard for someone that was running 8klms 5 days a week with 1 hour workout sessions on top of that. I have tried the whole walking thing (HATE IT) start running and end up sick for a week and NOW I have put weight back on BUT I certainly am not eating junk food and crap like that but I am determined NEVER to be as fat as I was!!! BUT I do realise I am getting fatter BECAUSE MY CLOTHES DON'T FIT ANYMORE sadface

That is why skiing is great for me as I don't get my heart rate up and I rest up on the chair lifts smile

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
75kgs!! clap on a 5ft6" frame NOT ATTRACTIVE!!

What amazes me is the kg variation between people!!

At 75kg's I am an Aussie size 12 (UK10/US8/JP11) (well 72/73 is perfect size 12, but at 75 they fit and 14's fall off) - and I am 5ft 6" as well. I have large bone structure - they reckon you encircle your wrist with thumb and middle finger - if they touch you have medium bone structure, if they overlap slight bone structure and if they have a gap heavy bone structure. Then you have muscle mass to consider.