When do you realise you are getting fat?

There must be a point. Where a person realises they are just getting fat.

Check this out

OverweightWomenLeftToDie.jpg

Fried chicken feasts in her hospital bed killed 45st

A MUM revealed in The Sun to be Britain's fattest woman at 45st has died after secretly GORGING in hospital.

Sharon Mevsimler, 40, was on a strict diet in Chelmsford, Essex, but had family buckets of chicken and fish and chips smuggled in.

She died of a heart attack nine days after we told of the five-footer's grub addiction.

Sharon begged her family to sneak take-aways into the hospital where she was on a strict diet and horrified witnesses saw relatives smuggling fast food to the gorging mum of four.

And she was so huge that a trolley COLLAPSED as she was wheeled to the mortuary.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a mental illness - along the lines of anorexia but in reverse.

There are also conditions that cause uncontrolled eating, but they rarely make it to 40. My younger brother went to school with a boy with the syndrome (his parents were doctors, so if anything could have been done they would have done it). The family had locks on all the cupboards and the fridge, and the school ended up having to lock all the kids lunchboxes up. He could not control it, and also ate stuff that was non food. He died at 10yrs of age if I recall correctly.

It does strike me as bizarre that the family continue to enable though... I mean what is their issue! It is like the family smuggling drugs or alcohol into a rehab center...crazy!

Just been doing a bit of a read about this woman's story in more detail.

While I am absolutely horrified by the state the woman got into, I find your comments offensive Thursday. Say what you like about lack of control, waste of taxpayers money, that it is disgusting... I wont argue with you. But to call her a fat bastard bitch is overstepping the line of reasonable - that makes it personal - and I am sure she never did anything directly to you to justify it.

Reading through the article they claim she had gastric bypass at a cost of 30,000 pounds (sorry no pound button on my computer wink ), but in another article it claims it was gastric banding at $30,000, and she was begging for Gastric Bypass surgery.

A bit more of a search and I find another article prior to her death which states:

Quote:
Each gastric bypass costs the NHS up to £10,000 while a band is £4,000.

Which is closer to what I know the costs to be.

I know a woman with a band, and I know a woman who has had gastric bypass. The woman with the band is in and out of the doctors getting it adjusted up and down, and doing things like having liquid calories (milkshakes etc) as they slide right on past the bands constriction. The woman with the bypass has HAD to make immediate and massive changes to not only how much she eats but WHAT she eats. Guess which one is 50kg lighter and which one is 20kgs heavier.

Neither of my friends had their surgeries done on our Aussie public health system, they both had private insurance and got them done with that and large out of pocket expenses. Do I think the NHS should pay - probably not. But if we want to assume the NHS will put some $$ into the care of the growing number of morbidly obese then why not stop wasting that money and only offer the Gastric Bypass. It is a more severe surgery, and there is NO possibility of going back - but as long as it doesn't kill you, it will work.

I doubt the 30,000 pound was purely for the surgery - it would have been the money spent on her care for the time after as well perhaps - she didn't ever seem to leave hospital. But if they had bit the bullet and done the bypass total cost would have been 10,000 done and dusted. No further expenses, woman gets her life back, NHS saves itself a lot of dosh.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Do I think the NHS should pay - probably not. But if we want to assume the NHS will put some $$ into the care of the growing number of morbidly obese then why not stop wasting that money and only offer the Gastric Bypass. It is a more severe surgery, and there is NO possibility of going back - but as long as it doesn't kill you, it will work.

Because the NHS SHOULDN'T be covering for "illnesses" that are perfectly preventable by people themselves.

Agreed, Rob.

But clearly they are anyway.

So instead of spending the taxpayers dollars on the cheaper less effective option and still having to spend more and more and more on hospital care and then finally replace broken mortuary trolley ... why not allocate a once of amount for the radical surgery that is make or break.

My friend who had that surgery had complication - she almost died. Her diet is totally changed, she had no choice about that. There was a period of post surgery regret when she was unwell and in pain and could not comfort eat her way out of it ... but today she says it was the best gift she could have ever given herself.

If instead of wasting 100's of thousands of pounds on Sharon above for no result, they should have insisted on the Bypass or nothing - you would either have a woman who died without a massive waste of taxpayer dollars, a woman who died mid surgery (so I suppose a waste but limited), or a woman whose life has been totally transformed and is now longer a health risk for the NHS.

But again...do I think this should be covered under NHS. No.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
It does strike me as bizarre that the family continue to enable though... I mean what is their issue! It is like the family smuggling drugs or alcohol into a rehab center...crazy!

You're right there Mamabear.
The whole thing is madness.

I realised I was getting fat about 20 years ago. Then realised how much exercise it took to not get fat and the sacrifices I would have to make to my eating habits and decided I just didn't give a toss. I did get quite skinny and fit a few times over that time due to some long mountaineering and hiking trips but staying fit and skinny just doesn't do it for me. I'm no happier when skinny and/or fit so why worry about it?

Total fat arsed bitch.

Just think of how many hip replacements, cancer therapies, dementia drugs etc could've been paid for, instead of being used to try cure this no hoper.

I hope they used that fat properly and fueled a power plant or something.

I never actually weigh myself but I'd say I'm around 105kg or maybe a little more. I'm 185cm tall, so defintiely overweight but hey I still ski like a god and that's all that matters isn't? highfive

Originally Posted By: thursday
Total fat arsed bitch.

Just think of how many hip replacements, cancer therapies, dementia drugs etc could've been paid for, instead of being used to try cure this no hoper.

I hope they used that fat properly and fueled a power plant or something.
Why the hate Thursday?
I understand the disgust and the frustration and even disregard ... but I just don't understand the hate?!

Morbidly obese people terrify me.

I think a big part of that is because I am active (though I eat fairly badly) and still overweight. I am always scared that I'll have children and get out of control obese afterwards.

Since starting at the gym 3 months ago I have only lost 1kg! (Though I have gained a lot of muscle mass and have a lot less wobbly bits) That is going hard three times a week. Plus my job is in the laboring category for sure.

Viseral fat also is very scary to me because I eat so much junk.

Eating is a real problem for a lot of people, it usually arises because other issues are present. It is swings and roundabouts for me, but at my heaviest I estimate I was about 100kg. Right now I am 89kg (169cm) and my healthiest weight was 70kg at 20.

It took me about 5 years of eating quite badly before I gained any weight, so yes it does creep up on you.

Just gotta keep moving. My heaviest weight was around the same time as a lot of other bad stuff and I didn't move very much.

Ooo, and any women/girls here who have yet to have babies - keep active during your pregnancy! My stepsister was 60kg prior to baby, and she was 92kg at fullterm. Baby was about 9pounds, so I guess about 2.5kg? It's hard weight to loose, that's for sure.

My wife put on 20lbs when fully preggers. Took a lot of anti stretch cream to get herself back to normal weight.

She had those crazy urges for chocolate, donuts, icecream, cookies, etc. After I bought alot each time, she'd say, nah, don't like them anymore.

Originally Posted By: MintyNZ
Ooo, and any women/girls here who have yet to have babies - keep active during your pregnancy! My stepsister was 60kg prior to baby, and she was 92kg at fullterm. Baby was about 9pounds, so I guess about 2.5kg? It's hard weight to loose, that's for sure.

Oh yeah! I have 4 and gained big time with each.
It didn't help that I came off Chronic Fatigue/RSI (therefore zero fitness) for the first and gave up smoking each time (permanently with #4). But it is a battle you have to keep fighting Minty. Seriously. Otherwise morbid obesity is the future. That is WAY scary. I can't afford to eat whatever I want - I know it. Rob's adventure in the UK would be a killer for me. But when you give up control, you give up the battle and the slippery slope is heading in the sad sad direction of that poor woman. I like snowboarding too much wink

I was telling my wife that one of our rats is getting fat.

I think she (the rat) heard me. She has been running in the wheel for the last few days.

Some animals have better self awareness than some human specimen.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Wouldn't call it an adventure - would more call it "catching up with 2 years worth of missed food".
lol I can understand ...but either way ... I could not do that without paying a (pardon the pun) hefty price. Glad you could though - just a little bit green with envy is me biggrin