Hi,

first post but i've been trawing this site ever since we decided on a ski trip to Japan. The current plan is a 3 week trip, 1 week of non skiing activities (non consecutive) including a few days in Tokyo, 1 week in Hakuba and 1 week in Niseko. (still to work out what order)

We had planned to arrive on the 28th Dec but after a bit of research it seems NYE in Japan is a non event and I have been told that Tokyo sort of shuts down during that period and all the temples are packed.

So now we are thinking of maybe waiting until mid Jan to go but first I wanted a bit of feedback from the people who know if they think it's worth doing NYE in Japan? Does Hakuba or Niseko have a late season or should we expect plenty of snow by then.

Also we have all done a couple of full seasons in Whistler (where we all met) so are also interested in riding some back country. Would it be possible to get a guide in Niseko for this sort of thing? Would anyone know what this might cost?

Any other info or tips would be great,

Thanks. JP

Welcome JP. I would head to one of the resorts to start with then maybe a day or 2 in Tokyo in between then the other resort leaving you a few days at the end to play with and recover. NYE although I haven't done it myself in Tokyo is by all accounts pretty big especially around Shibuya. Both resorts should have plenty of snow by that time so toss a coin and hope you score at both.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Be careful, anywhere you stay over New Year's is gonna be expensive. VERY expensive.

True in Tokyo. Not necessarily in Hakuba. Don't know in Niseko.
Hotels ramp their prices up over NY - wanted to stay in Hakuba last year, and was quoted almost x3 the cost as outside the holiday period.

That's huge. Some have a 10-20% tariff. I know plenty of places where you could have got in for their standard price.
Originally Posted By: TJ OZ
Be careful, anywhere you stay over New Year's is gonna be expensive. VERY expensive.

True in Tokyo. Not necessarily in Hakuba. Don't know in Niseko.

Most Niseko accommdation will be at it's highest rates of the season somewhere between 23 Dec and up to 4 Jan. Depending on the management company the dates can vary a little. There's no extra charges on top of these rates just for NY itself.
Unless you really want to spend NY in Japan in a ski resort then you would certainly be better off financially coming mid Jan when rates are cheaper.

And if you really want to stay in Niseko over NY and you haven't already booked then you may already find it difficult to find a place available. Certainly you'd be extremely lucky to find anything available in the upper village close to the lifts!

Thanks for all the replys. I should have mentioned that we had planned to do NYE in Tokyo and then move onto the mountains. I was worried that NYE was a bit dead in Tokyo and that everything would be closed in the days that followed, but I hadn't considered cost so that might be what sways me to delay to mid Jan. Really the only reason for NYE in Japan was something different, NYE is always more exciting when ur in another country.

Some years the snow can be a bit late and the off piste can be full of sasa (I think thats what its called)green stalks with leaves on top. You can ski through them when they are not too thick but its better when they are buried.

If you can leave it a week or 2 then it is almost garanteed to be covered by then.

Ski areas will be quieter later on Jan, and cheaper.

I would go later if I were you.

Do it, who knows you may have the best night yet. Another NYE at home or one in a crazy big city, I know what I'd be picking. wink

Will let you know what its like in Hakuba, but if its dumping will be an early night for me smile

Tokyo is a mega metropolis so there are loads of things going on over NY. Plenty clubs, pubs and parties going on, Tokyo shutting down is a bit of an oxymoron...I reckon even Godzilla would have a problem shutting it down nowadays!! wink In saying that, NYE in Japan isn't what it is in western countries, Japanese people tend to stay with family then after midnight venture down to their local shrine/temple and pray. Tokyo though will still be pumping on NYE.

The shops may close down, but the temples will be heaving, as will be the bars and clubs.

Hotels shouldn't be too much in the city, as most people tend to go home , and not many people who live in Tokyo, are actually from Tokyo.

Actually, hotel prices in Tokyo are pretty expensive at New Year, and restaurants tend to have fixed menus that are also costly.

That said, a NYE outing to Meiji Shrine or Asakusa is quite an experience.

Still, if the main objective is skiing, mid or late January is a far, far better time.

Hi everyone, I have booked a holiday from NZ for 3 weeks, we arrive in Tokyo on the 28th and spend 4 nights and then fly up to Hokkaido and go to Niseko for the remaining time, for the whole package, flights, transfers all accommodation, breakfast and lift tickets it was only 5k each, I don't think that's really that expensive compared to the price Whistler was going to cost us, way more than double that...

I've never actually been New Year.

The prices put me off and usually family stuff going on.

If conditions are good, probably one of the best times to go is the weekdays just after the New Year holidays have finished.