If there's one company I always get frustrated with, it's the car company. Whether it's the shaken or some small repair, I always come away somehow feeling ripped off. Even though I'm sure I'm not being as they are friends of my lady friend and often say that they have done things like cleaning the inside of the car for me for nothing. The bill comes out with all these individual costs that all add up to more than you think it should be.

Car stuff is just expensive I suppose.

Any other companies/profesions who you always think that about?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always suspicious of car companies too.

It's just not really understanding what is involved for me and not being able to do it myself. Seems anything you need doing quickly gets into the 'mans'.

wallpapering....

Tried to do it myself....hopeless, some guy came in and did it in a few hours and then charged way too much imho.

Paying for lift tickets in Australia.

The feeling AFTER you have eaten McDonalds

As Scheeboard said work on a rental at $100/hr you could have done yourself.

Diesel Jeans from the Silk Market who's zip lasts a week lol

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Originally Posted By: stemik
wallpapering....

I tried that once.
Gave up.
This place could do with some but the thought of the hassle just has me buying more posters.

I was never any good at placing football stickers in the album, always sticking them down a bit skew-whiff, so there is no way I'm trying wallpapering!!
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
yeah we know those meanings too....but don't you also use it in the term "ripped off"?

Yup but that's not what I thought of haha.
  • 5 months later...

Had my shaken done today.

Well, the test bit.

I need a few new parts of my motor.

Can't pass without them, so I'm told, so have no choice.

This one made me laugh though.

The gear stick. It's getting a bit hard to see the numbers R, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 on the top of my gear stick.

They wanted me to buy a new gear stick as apparently the car will not pass shaken without the driver being able to see the gear numbers on top of the gear stick.

lol

After laughing in their faces, they are going to "make me a sticker to put on top of the gear stick". And of course, I will rip the stupid thing off once I roll out of their garage.

Nuts.

I did a self shaken once and I can't remember them looking inside the car. It was an automatic though.

Only thing it failed on was the headlights were out of alignment, but the dealer fixed it on the same day for nothing.

I've done a self shaken as well. I built a camper van and had the number changed from a commercial vehicle to a camping status. The entire time going through the inspection all I could think was...."if the Japanese public knew what a scham the inspection is there would be a revolt"...

Again my least favorite Japanese word..SHOGANAI... veryangry

Hey I know it's really cool to proclaim that shaken is a rip off and scoff at peasants who are so weak they pay someone to do it.

But, what actually is the scam?

Is it the taxes? But do they not have to be paid to drive legally?

Is it the car companies trying to fix up things that don't actually need fixing? In that case, find a reputable company that will do the minimum?

It's like with the tyres discussion a while ago. If you know how to do it and are interested, perhaps it is fairly easy to get it done. I'm sure most things are if you know how to do them.