Joint bank accounts & credit cards

kinda, we have a joint account where we put 50% of our salaries into, that's used for house expenses such as bills and food. The other 50% is to do what we please.

Joint account just makes sense to me. Why pay more that one set of bank fees? I guess it depends on how you view your money too. I consider all our money ours rather than my pay being mine and her pay being hers.

Kind of ruins the present buying process though. "Here you go honey, I used your money to get you this instead of letting you pick out the thing that you wanted"

I guess it helps that we have almost taken turns at being the one who worked and at being the one who made the most money. (and that we are generally both cheepos)

We do. But not because we are skimping on bank fee's we have lots of different accounts, most of them joint ... some business accounts. I suppose we got our first joint accounts after we bought our house and shifted accounts over to that bank. It then worked better as we both had access to all our joint cash rather than if one account was looking sad, assuming the other one was plump, when actually it was sad too...

But we are old foggies. Married 21 years this year.

It works for us.

I think it worked really well for people like my parents - my mum didn't work for most of her life so the only income coming in was my dads. Having said that, I think mum was 100% in control of it!

Do you not pay bank fees in Japan @tokyo?

For starters its about $60 a year for our credit card, for the bank account its something like $10 a month and more for transactions. If we had seperate accounts then we would just have to pay money to move money between them. It's not all that much but I may as well have it as give it to the bank.

I suppose if one partner has a spending problem or if you dont trust them it might be worth trying to protect your half of the money in your own account.

It seems we are the odd ones out though so I have some questions for you lot..

If one partner makes lots more that the other does that mean that that person gets to have all the sweet stuff and the other goes without unless the ritch one gets it for them?

One joint savings account. Her demand was that we kept a million yen in it. Not the best investment at .001% interest but it gave her security. Wife had her own seperate account in exchange for me having unrestricted decision making to my brokerage/securities account.

We haven't been able to set up a joint bank account in Japan. Certainly our local bank doesn't have them. In Aus my wife and I still have a joint account. In a place like Aus it makes a lot of sense due to fees and the fact that you actually can make a bit of interest out of any money in the account.

we don't pay bank fees over here and in fact we don't pay bank fees back home either. One thing I hated about wen I was in Oz was the banks wanting $5 a month just to keep MY money!! I asked them "what if I have no money in the account?" and they said they'd still deduct their fee and so putting me overdrawn!! Screw that!! Only bank that I found that didn't charge was Woolworths bank. Telephone banking, no branch but run in conjunction with Commonwealth Bank. I went into the Commonwealth Bank to open an account and they told me that Woolworths is only for residents, not tourists....bullsheiBe!! They just wanted me to open their account so they could charge me 5 bucks every damn month!!

It's why Aus banks are some of the most profitable businesses in the country! You do get a hell of a lot more interest than you do in Japan though. Of course TB you actually need some money in the account for that! lol

I think we have to open one to make it easier to get my wife the Aussie residency.

Banks in Australia - no way. Credit Union all the way. We are members, not numbers.

Don't have high consumption tax in oz compared to europe, but having to pay tax on every deposit and withdrawal is morally wrong to me, and the bank should be paying tax from their profit they make out of our money in the bank.

We have a joint bank account and we put half each of out wages in it. We also have a joint credit card account.

It is convenient as we are both able to access the account as required.

Originally Posted By: Captain Stag
Do you not pay bank fees in Japan @tokyo?

The only bank charge I can think of - apart from when you make a payment and the furikomi charge - is a small charge for my credit card once a year.

Just taking money out and putting money into your account though - no charges.

Shocking that they charge in some places, I remember a thread on that last year.
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
I think we have to open one to make it easier to get my wife the Aussie residency.

Did the same for visa reasons.

It sometimes feels like Europe in the 90s in Aus (closer to 80s in Perth).... things are changing, we dont pay bank fees and my credit card fees are paid off by my award points.

When it comes to banking and finance Japan is more like Aus in the 80's! In Aus most people have this idea that Japan is some sort of futuristic world at the cutting edge of latest technologies. Oh how wrong they are...

Originally Posted By: Go Native
When it comes to banking and finance Japan is more like Aus in the 80's! In Aus most people have this idea that Japan is some sort of futuristic world at the cutting edge of latest technologies. Oh how wrong they are...

Whaaaat?...no jetson 'styleee' flying cars?

Gutted.
Originally Posted By: Jynxx

When we did my wife's Visa app she didn't have a joint account or any aussie property, so I don't think holding a joint bank account is going to matter that much.