Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Yeah Rob, guess we will see. Sure it's optimistic at best, but to laugh at the thought is completely ignorant. Like I said, we'll see.

Not really. After USA '94, that's what people were saying then, that the USA was going to be the next big footballing super power, but it never massed to anything.

Sorry but the history of football in the USA doesn't really lend itself to looking forward to a promising generation of footballers. Look at Freddy Adu, touted to be a massive star, but now languishing somewhere in the Greek leagues, on loan from Benfica.
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference of enrollment with soccer in 1994 and soccer in 2004 is astonishingly different. I don't know who was making the 94 projection, but I can personally see a major difference in the way the sport has grown in this country. As someone who watched the collegiate level as a kid and played at the collegiate level I can tell you that the development of players has been amazing.

Freddy Adu was just a fluke. The MLS is still sub-par but getting a lot better as a development league.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Can someone swat that frikking giant bee.
Perhaps the giant dung beetle.

I'm over it.
Papa watching in bed....and I would like to sleep.
Do ya reckon I can pretend it is white noise?
ARGH!
Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
Originally Posted By: thursday
But please give it its proper name. FOOTBALL.

Surely on this board the proper term is サッカー.

no Mitch naughty On ANY board, that term is not acceptable! biggrin

Those vuvuzela's are like a swarm of killer bees!! angry

C'mon the Yanks!!
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Shocking goal.

That's football.

I just want to say for the record at the bar tonight I said 1-1 tie and Gerrard or Lampard would be the goal scorerer for the English. Don't know what else to say but if I would have bet on it I would have made a LOT of money. Damn it. Great turnout for the US and while it may have been a rubbish goal, there could have been several others that would have went in for either team, again..that's football

Yes that is soccer!

The US played some good football and defended well.

England missed having a goal poacher, Heskey just doesn't do it for me.

Originally Posted By: MitchPee

That's football. Great turnout for the US and while it may have been a rubbish goal, there could have been several others that would have went in for either team, again..that's football

Are you Graham Taylor in disuigse? confused

Originally Posted By: stemik

England missed having a goal poacher, Heskey just doesn't do it for me.

Definitely, good as a holding man, but his lack of prowess was proven yet again. Play, god I hate to say his, Defoe up front with Rooney, or even Crouch.

Football will always be limited in the US due to 4 other big sports and lack of advertising opportunities during the 45min halves.

Crouchey looking much better than Heskey. I think we will go 1-up-top anyway though once Barry is back.