I only eat pizza on occasions when we can't think of anything to eat and just take the no brainer, let's go for a pizza.

Invariably this would be a chain restaurant where bookings are not necessary and the food is cheap and cheerful. I have a favourite when these situations occur. I like the "meat lover's" where there is as much meat as possible on the base tomatoe and cheese. And it has to be the thinnest crust available in order to taste the toppings without being full after one slice.

Here's what it should look like

meat%20lovers%20pizza_large.jpg

But on occasion, we have had some weird pizzas, like a Peking Duck Pizza. Looking something like this with the Hoi Sin sauce on top with spring onions.

pizza2.jpg

What would be a favourite pizza for you? And how often do you endulge?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Home manufactured from scratch. Make a bread base (I use a bread maker machine) made thin, spread with tomato paste, and some of whatever processed meats are available (twiggy sticks, cabanossi, salami - hungarian or whatever is available, sometimes if we have prawns, they'll go on too, sometimes chicken torn into small bits, ham or bacon pieces) topped with a coating of cheese.

Cooked on a stoneware platter in the oven.

Haven't tried a bought pizza for over 20 years! And would NEVER EVER EVER have a frozen one!

I love pizza. My J-mother in law used to refer to me as "Pizza-taro." Best pizza I've ever had was in Sendai at a place on Jozenji Dori called Napule. Frozen pizza can be good. I like D'Giorno (sp?) and Tombestone. It's great fun making pizza...you can throw anything you want on it.

Am in the same boat as JA.

Once you know how to make a good pizza base, and have the pizza stone, delivery ones rarely taste as good.

have heard people complain that in Japan, there aren't any good pizza places. Trust me, there are some amazing ones that rival Italian pizza parlours.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
JA is the man ..
Guess we´ll be eating the stuff when he starts his homestay joint.
smile

Yes, when should Jynxx and I come over JA. How's next week sound? wink
Originally Posted By: thursday
I know how to make a pizza base, but OK, what is that pizza stone?

It's what you put the pizza on before cooking if, like most of us mortals, you don't have a proper wood fired oven with a tiled/stone surface. wink
Originally Posted By: JA
....topped with a coating of cheese.

I do: Tomato puree > Cheese (Mozzarella) > Toppings

I have a special small pizza oven for it that makes a perfect pizza in a few Minutes.:

pizza_ofen.jpg

Problem with normal ovens is that they don't bring the heat. 250ºC ain't really enough. A professional pizza oven goes up to 450ºC. What you can do as a workaround:

Get a pizza stone (it's a must anyway!)
Preheat the stone for at least 30 Minutes at full power
Put the Pizza on the stone
Switch oven to grill

My dough is: 450g flour, 250ml Water, TS salt, 1/5TS yeast, 2TS olive oil

Tomato puree: Can of tomatoes, tomato paste (otherwise it's to watery), lots of salt, olive oil, oregano

And the result (feta + capers) looks like:

img0288o.th.jpg

my girlfriends mum makes her own pizza, its fantastic. Makes her own dough, then lobs on a tomato base, peppers, cheese, onions mushrooms and salami......pure magic!! also they are rectangular! smile

• SnowJapan Admin

Nearby Joetsu Kokusai are celebrating the re-opening of one of their restaurants today until Sunday and I was there for lunch today. It was an 'eat all you want' pizza thing, with lots of dessert too. The pizza was ok, we defintely came out beached for the weekend I think!

My wife amazed me as always with just how much she can eat. I'm pretty big and she is pretty small, but she can beat me pretty much any day. As my family often comment back in England, where does she put it!?

The chocolate fountain was particularly popular.

Need to go lie down now I think.

3.jpg

2.jpg

b.jpg