A chocolate fountain is essentially an apparatus made from stainless steel that serves molten chocolate fondue. A motor at the base of the fountain is used for heating the prepared chocolate morsels that are placed in a heating tray. A central corkscrew pushes the molten chocolate up through a column. Upon reaching the top of the fountain, which may be 2-4 feet in height and have multiple tiers, the chocolate flows down. The chocolate flows into one tray and spills on to the next till it reaches the bottom tier. After the chocolate cascade reaches the base of the fountain, the whole process is repeated again. The first melting of the chocolate can also be carried out in a microwave or a double boiler. The fountain is placed on a base that is sturdy enough to hold around 40 kilograms of weight and is close to a power socket.

Chocolate high in cocoa butter, such as couverture chocolate, is ideal for use in fountains. The chocolate can be either milk or dark. Chocolate low in cocoa butter must be supplemented with vegetable oil; however, this hampers the smoothness and taste of the chocolate.

yummy

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: SJ#1
As my family often comment back in England, where does she put it!?

Heard that one before too. My lady is the same. Endless eating machine, especially cakes and anything sweet. Somehow stays small!
Originally Posted By: big-will
Originally Posted By: SJ#1
As my family often comment back in England, where does she put it!?

Heard that one before too. My lady is the same. Endless eating machine, especially cakes and anything sweet. Somehow stays small!

mines too........and she can pile away the pints
Originally Posted By: thursday
semolina? wouldn't that make it pasta like.

I never tried that. Have to say I am very happy with my crisp dough. Since I go for strong taste toppings (anchovies - yum!) I doubt the flour type will make a big taste difference. But I know this new little Italian food shop at Olympic 1 and I will get some flour there and give it a try before it goes bust.

pretty cool pizza oven.

Actually mine is extremely simple - but works perfectly. If I had a bigger garden I would build a wood fired stone oven.

Whatabout something like this:

Pizzaz+Pizza+Oven.jpg

I don't think that open construction can get an even heat distribution. Don't try it! If you don't have an oven (very few in HK have) then a lesser good but still acceptable choice would be a microwave with hot air.

SORRY? Few homes in HK have ovens? REALLY?! wow...

Rach - I'm with you! Not Fair!

I have the slowest metabolism in the known universe I think. Having traveled with a tiny friend and seen the quantities of food she packs away just to get by - and in the reverse HER having seen what little I eat/drink (and how healthy what I eat is) - we have a new understanding of just how variable metabolism is in women! Sure wish I could swap her!!

Pizza is reasonably rare here - usually only when I am not cooking or organizing food. Papa thinks he does his best cooking with his dialing finger. This week we had pizza because we had no power....all week....and it is still not properly fixed (but at least I have my kitchen back on line).

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
JA is the man ..
Guess we´ll be eating the stuff when he starts his homestay joint.
smile

Yes, when should Jynxx and I come over JA. How's next week sound? wink

Jeeze, sorry guys, I got root canal therapy to get through, or was that a brazillian? Can't remember. wink
Quote:
SORRY? Few homes in HK have ovens? REALLY?! wow...

Not really a call for it unless you like baking and roasting and stuff.

Home cooking in HK involves stir frying in a wok 90% of the time and steaming, stewing the rest.

I have a fan assisted oven that I can roast with. Damn useful.
Originally Posted By: mina2
Love pizza, especially thick base ones. Not much to choose from round these parts unfortunatley.

But... doesn't the thick base fill you up sos you can't attack another piece with as much enthusiasm?

I would be lost without my oven - although I don't use it every day. I have a great big commercial one. Will come in handy this thursday when I am preparing the Rugby Club Dinner for possibly 100 hungry people!!

It's pretty massive Thursday.

I will take a pic one day.

100 serves is what I am aiming at as we did a little over 50 last week and it was the first week - many people were not aware of it despite the numerous updates about it. It went down really well, so I don't think a doubling of numbers is out of the question.

Costs need to stay low as it is a fundraiser for the club - and it needs to be something pretty simple to serve at a club that currently has no oven, limited space and only a warmer and 4 hotplates...

So this weeks meal is Meatballs in a tomato based sauce with 3 Veg, and Apple Rhubarb Crumble for dessert. The majority of diners will be our juniors (7-14yrs) and their families. But last week the seniors DID tuck into the Lasagne and Banana Custard!

We are trying something different.

**Trying to provide meals that are fruit and veg plentiful as an alternative option to that post training panicked drive thru purchase so many families end up with.

**Trying to provide an atmosphere where people stay and form 'community' over a meal. Reducing parent stress, increasing parent and child enjoyment.

**Trying to bring funds into the club (even a modest profit each week on the meals is a bonus, and then there are the drinks purchased at the bar).

We are also providing the option of takeaway containers so that families with other members at home can still participate. Lot of work but seems to be reaping benefits.

Nothing wrong with a BBQ, but we are hoping to move past the charred snag in a bun with the tomato sauce being the only veg in sight.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
... we are hoping to move past the charred snag in a bun with the tomato sauce being the only veg in sight.

You WHAT??? No sense of tradition, you! wink
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
We are trying something different.

**Trying to provide meals that are fruit and veg plentiful as an alternative option to that post training panicked drive thru purchase so many families end up with.
**Trying to provide an atmosphere where people stay and form 'community' over a meal. Reducing parent stress, increasing parent and child enjoyment.
**Trying to bring funds into the club (even a modest profit each week on the meals is a bonus, and then there are the drinks purchased at the bar).

We are also providing the option of takeaway containers so that families with other members at home can still participate. Lot of work but seems to be reaping benefits.

Nothing wrong with a BBQ, but we are hoping to move past the charred snag in a bun with the tomato sauce being the only veg in sight.

I reckon you should make thems some meatball pizza.