Our fave place at Nozawa doesn't have a bath on premises.

For overheating/musty/dirty/crap food, surely you only know that after you've gone there? The OP mentions things that would stop him going somewhere in the first place.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Overheating - you then open the window and wake up cold

At least you can open the window. I have been to one or two places that were too hot, no way to turn it down - and you couldn't open the windows!

Mr Wiggles - yep, must read the question....I was thinking about what are bad features and what I would try and avoid.

In advance, the names of some places have put me off - I won't be specific about this, but there are a couple of places in Hakuba which are probably great, but which I would not reward with my business because they have daft names!

Yes, dumb, I know...

SdS

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Quote:

At least you can open the window. I have been to one or two places that were too hot, no way to turn it down - and you couldn't open the windows!

I've been to places like that, too. Wondered what's that all about? I think they intentionally want to keep the heat in.
Also I've been to places they only had ice cold water to wash in the morning. The only warm water was the onsen.
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Quote:

Oh! Worst experience of this for me was on the Sleeper Train from Paris to Milan in January! It was BOILING - and the window would only open a crack at the top (not enough to exchange the hot air/cold air at all - just enough to stop us from cooking) - I suppose it was to keep passengers safe by not letting them stick their head out of the window! We were in First Class - and would have been better off out in the 2nd class seats! None of us slept for the heat, and the noise coming in the slight crack the window was open.

[oh and the conductor smashed my laptop screen on that trip as well - guess who WONT be doing a sleeper train again any time soon!!]

OVERPRICED puts me off big time.

I really do not mind paying for quality (and I like to stay in very nice places), but I really do not not like paying for sub-standard. That gets me very annoyed.

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
my last accommodation cost me A$1200/night. we aren't particularly choosy, honestly lol

Good god! Where were you? Dubai?

Although having said that our accommodation at Qualia, Hamilton Island is pretty exy. But it is the old boys 40th.

that was ski-in-ski-out at thredbo, the snow isnt as good in Dubai!!

Ahhh! OK - I thought you were talking about a hotel room. The ski in ski out apartments at Thredbo are a different ball game. Yes - we stayed just around the corner in a sleeps 8-10 apartment for similar in July.

I normally order a room to myself (not to keen on backpacker places) but as it turned out last year when the $ tanked every one canceled their bookings and I had the whole lodge to myself for a week. I loved it.

it was about this time last year I had people at home getting to me so I was glad to get away and be by myself for a week

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps

I really do not mind paying for quality (and I like to stay in very nice places), but I really do not not like paying for sub-standard. That gets me very annoyed.

I hate that too. I've been to a few places in Japan where it's been over Y10,000 per person/night and the room is barely the size of a broom closet and it appears they haven't changed the bedding since the 80's!

I'm not really all that picky. Having spent a few years backpacking (i.e. being homeless) four walls and a bit of floor space is enough. Of course, I prefer all the creature comforts. The one thing that usually puts me off a place is other guests. Rude, dirty, noisy, idiots usually stop me from coming back.

Got to admit I don't really like paying for accommodation at all. It always seems overpriced, to me anyway and just a necessary evil. Almost always glad to be back home in my own bed.

I have had a few business trips that I didn't pay for - didn't mind them at all! wink

Same here.

I would much rather pay more and have a decent place - not overpriced - than pay somewhere in the region of 6-7000 yen and have somewhere I think is pretty awful, and I have stayed in one or two of those since I have been here.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps

I hate that too. I've been to a few places in Japan where it's been over Y10,000 per person/night and the room is barely the size of a broom closet and it appears they haven't changed the bedding since the 80's!

this one bought a smile to my face!

I can understand why some places might not be flexible at some times. Perhaps the places you experienced that were flexible might not be quite so on other days in other circumstances. If everyone overstayed a few hours, lots of hotels would be in a big mess.

I would stay anywhere. as long as the room is warm and clean then I'm happy. i don't need internet connection, I actually like sleeping on the futons and using the plastic-peg-bag for a pillow. In fact after a day on the hill and then a good soak in the onsen, I'm that tired that i could pretty much sleep comfortably anywhere!! lol

It gets harder to sleep when you get older. muikabochi you are in trouble !

I do like futons myself. Actually harder beds suit me. Don't like soft or saggy beds.

I can't sleep when there's fridge noise. I got to pull the plug.