Yep the average cost of raising a child to age 20 in Australia is $260,000. It gets a little less for a 2nd child as many things can be passed down, but we're still talking lots of money you won't be able to spend on yourself doh

Are they really worth it?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if I like that idea or not.

What's going to happen to all that money put into ETC and everyone buying the machines for their car?

Just a much cheaper, clearer system would be good I think.

Yeah kind of a waste of time buying the ETC machine which I have bought once they introduced the cheaper fares. Wish they had of done this a few years ago when I was going up and down the motorways every week, I would have saved a fortune. Now I am living in the sticks I don't use the motorways no where near as much.

Anyway will be interesting to see if they do really abolish payments for the motorways. Can't ever see Shutoku motorway in Tokyo being free, could you imagine what it would be like then, would turn into a carpark. bad enough as it is. I passed through there the other day what a nightmare!

I have actually already made up for the cost of the machine, though I wouldn't have been using the expressways as much without it. Still seems awkward to get rid of all that suddenly when everyone has been buying them and all that money invested in the exits etc.

Well, no, I would guess hundreds of thousands of people don't like the idea of paying up to 20,000 yen on a machine in their car for it to become useless a few months later. And who's paying for all the investment in the ETC exits?

Yeah a bit of a pain but hardly something to get overly worked up about when you now get to travel for free! That's almost as bad as people who complain about getting a pay rise because they have to pay more tax. You're still better off!!

And you've all been paying for the ETC exits for years whilst paying the fees. No need to worry about them anymore...

No-one likes spending money unncessarily or losing money. Which is what all those people will have done with those little gizmos. Understandable that they might be wanting some CASH BACK!! wink

So whats the plan then with the expressways? They just going to suddenly become totally free?

i would at least like to hear the logic behind making them free. what are they trying to achieve by that? i think the balance is nice as it is, or if anything slightly too cheap and crowded.

Originally Posted By: thursday
yes they are worth it.

If only to provide cash (taxes) to the government, which they can spend creating more Aged Care facilities to look after me when I get old!
Originally Posted By: Go Native
Don't see how it's awkward. You guys just don't like the idea of the masses now using your expressways! lol

That sounds like it to me!

The drop in revenue from tolls is written on the DPJ manifesto. Its peanuts compared to the child benefit.

No-one's mentioned the reacting of the train / ferry / bus companies. They don't seem too chuffed at the idea of free expressways. Are the new boys planning on doing anything to please them or just tell them to live with it?

Well considering that the train companies tend to operate at 100% or over the majority of the time ie rush hours, major metropolitan lineseg Tokaido, Yamanote etc. and also during the holiday periods - Can't really see it affecting too much.

Ask yourself would you swap the comfort of a shinkansen or green car for a 4 hour or more drive with a high chance of massive, sometimes up, to 60kms traffic jams?

On what basis?

During the recent obon holiday the major days for going to and coming back from the families, train travel was running at 140% or so.

Admittedly short journeys of an hour or two would be bearable but even then,that is if there isn't any traffic jams.

Also back on topic and I dread saying this, metropolis magazine did have a funny cut out and check list of policies the DPJ said they would do. And also on TV there was a family of 12 8 girls and two boys, and their parents only wanted the DPJ to win so that they could get the 26000 yen per kid. When asked about other DPJ policies they couldn't care less about them. Clearly someone should have given them some family planning advice. Sounded like some of the families in the UK depending on the state.

Quote:
During the recent obon holiday the major days for going to and coming back from the families, train travel was running at 140% or so.

What's your point Rob?

If numbers using train travel goes down to 120%, are the companies still not losing a ton of cash?

Personally, if expressways become free I will use them more and trains less. Train companies will lose that cash. I'm sure more than a few people would do the same.
Originally Posted By: scouser
Quote:

What's your point Rob?

My point is during that period, the roads were also at the cheaper rate and the trains were still busy as usual.

As I said later, for shorter journeys it might make some difference but can't see it making a lot of difference as Muikabochi said.

Lets be honest would you drive down to say Nagoya,which is 4 or 5 hours on a good day or get the train down?